Regarding Goku's power during the Ano-yo'ichi Budōkai

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Regarding Goku's power during the Ano-yo'ichi Budōkai

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Thu May 11, 2017 4:09 am

Did TOEI write this arc in the context that Goku did indeed surpass Cell as a SSJ1? He took on Paikuhan who owned Super Perfect Cell.
Though many believe Goku outsmarted him rather than outpowered him in the final part of the match with instantaneous Kamehameha, as well as use Kaioken x2 which is apparently made him equal to a SSJ2???

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Re: Regarding Goku's power during the Ano-yo'ichi Budōkai

Post by DBZ Macky » Thu May 11, 2017 4:23 am

I had always thought that Paikuuhan wasn't actually stronger than Cell going purely by power. But that he attacked Cell with an amplified attack. If Goku could almost kill him with his Instantaneous-Kamehameha then I don't see why Paikuuhan couldn't overpower him with his own attack. It isn't the first time someone has defeated a stronger opponent by means of amplified techniques. Goku & Piccolo vs. Raditz is a prime example.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Thu May 11, 2017 4:29 am

One could argue that Paikuhan got the jump on Cell, and it's been shown time and again that a weaker target can take out a stronger one (within reason) if it's a sneak attack. Piccolo catching 50% Freeza off guard while defending Goku so he could finish the Genki Dama and Ssj Trunks knocking Fat Buu away to save his father are such examples. Paikuhan could have very well been weaker than Cell, but his catching Cell off guard made up for it.
DBZ Macky wrote:I had always thought that Paikuuhan wasn't actually stronger than Cell going purely by power. But that he attacked Cell with an amplified attack.
It's only video games that treat what Paikuhan attacked him with as being some kind of special attack. The Thunder Flash and Hyper Tornado are the only two techniques officially recognized that he used, and he used neither in his initial debilitating attack against Cell.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:16 pm

That's one interpretation, but we need to consider that Paikuhan may not be canonical. Filler is debated extensively in the canon debates and of course Paikuhan's movie is non-canon, so we can't jump to conclusions about Paikuhan. DB filler is absurdly inconsistent with the actual content so it's uncertain whether Paikuhan really was that strong.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Thu May 11, 2017 11:04 pm

I reconcile it by treating Hell as an "environmental debuff". Think about it. Souls not allowed to retain their bodies are purified and then reincarnated. So if Cell et all still have their bodies and the end result should be being cleansed of body and memory and reentering the living world, then they should be in an intermediary stage. Almost like Hell is still "digesting" them. So it's not that Pikkon was so strong, but rather Cell who was being weakened/depowered by being a soul condemned to Hell. Given enough time, Yamcha might've been able to beat Cell.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri May 12, 2017 12:23 am

Tectorman wrote:I reconcile it by treating Hell as an "environmental debuff". Think about it. Souls not allowed to retain their bodies are purified and then reincarnated. So if Cell et all still have their bodies and the end result should be being cleansed of body and memory and reentering the living world, then they should be in an intermediary stage. Almost like Hell is still "digesting" them. So it's not that Pikkon was so strong, but rather Cell who was being weakened/depowered by being a soul condemned to Hell. Given enough time, Yamcha might've been able to beat Cell.
Yamaha can already defeat Cell. He feigned weakness against the Cell Jrs to preserve Vegeta's pride.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 12, 2017 6:35 am

floofychan333 wrote:That's one interpretation, but we need to consider that Paikuhan may not be canonical. Filler is debated extensively in the canon debates and of course Paikuhan's movie is non-canon, so we can't jump to conclusions about Paikuhan. DB filler is absurdly inconsistent with the actual content so it's uncertain whether Paikuhan really was that strong.
I think it's safe to say that DB has several canon's.

Manga

DB/DBZ/bardock/trunks special

DB/DBZ Kai/bardock/trunks special

DBGT/movies

DB Minus/DB Super anime/DB Super manga BOG movie ROF movie (Minus and Super and all the new shit are too damn inconsistent to be canon to manga or anime)