Do Dragon Ball characters have Split Durability?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Do Dragon Ball characters have Split Durability?

Post by Gog » Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 am

So, there's a theory roaming around that Dragon Ball characters have split durability, they can output Ki attacks that can destroy planets, and tank those blasts, but for physical level attacks they arent as strong and cant take as much.

Does this theory hold any weight?

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Do Dragon Ball characters have Split Durability?

Post by dbgtFO » Sun May 14, 2017 6:31 am

Gog wrote:So, there's a theory roaming around that Dragon Ball characters have split durability, they can output Ki attacks that can destroy planets, and tank those blasts, but for physical level attacks they arent as strong and cant take as much.

Does this theory hold any weight?
No, it's pretty illigical and never implied.
Sounds like videogame logic in fact, where you have magical resistance and normal resistance like pokemon.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sun May 14, 2017 7:14 am

No, DBZ/S is just very inconsistent.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Sun May 14, 2017 10:07 am

Well to some degree it is true. When someone tanks an attack like that they are tanking it using their own ki.

Their physical bodies can be injured by guns and such if they arent expecting it as shown in RoF and before the Champa Arc.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun May 14, 2017 10:40 am

There isn't separate levels of durability, it's all on a continuous spectrum that has multiple branching offshoots and intricacies.

This is all because of Ki. All experienced martial artists in the franchise make use of Ki manipulation to give themselves incredible strength, defense, and abilities because the body has physical limits.

If you can get around this Ki somehow, you'll be much more likely to hurt a fighter. For example, if they're suppressing their power, they become more susceptible, as can taking them off-guard. In their everyday lives, the Z-Warriors aren't constantly keeping their Ki up unless they're training, which is why their families can beat them up and why their jobs can put them in danger if they aren't paying attention.

A stray bullet or laser can actually do something if a fighter isn't keeping up their Ki and/or isn't paying enough attention.

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Mon May 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Considering ki blasts make physical explosions and DB characters can withstand the force of planetary explosions I'm saying no.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue May 16, 2017 1:59 am

I know this is the in-universe discussion forum, but the only real answer to this is that their durability against any given thing is based on the whims of the plot. Like Vegeta dying when Freeza destroyed the Earth.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue May 16, 2017 2:00 pm

The Monkey King wrote:Considering ki blasts make physical explosions and DB characters can withstand the force of planetary explosions I'm saying no.
I think we ought to narrow that down to Freeza, it seems he and his brother if the movieverse is counted are able to survive such immense force as well as extreme temperatures.
Beerus & Whis are also shown to do so but that's simply because Beerus is a Hakaishin and Whis is an angel, incredible durability seems to be a prerequisite for both roles.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Wed May 17, 2017 8:30 am

buutenks wrote:No, DBZ/S is just very inconsistent.
It's been around before Super you know... go look at OBD on Narutoforums.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Thu May 18, 2017 2:08 am

That idea is just stupid copouts that battle forum nerds make up to try and preserve their own favorite franchises' power superiority when nobody would ever think of such a thing otherwise.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 pm

nickzambuto wrote:That idea is just stupid copouts that battle forum nerds make up to try and preserve their own favorite franchises' power superiority when nobody would ever think of such a thing otherwise.
I see it more as a hopeless attempt to apply consistent logic to an inherently illogical and inconsistent series.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Fri May 19, 2017 3:52 pm

theherodjl wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:Considering ki blasts make physical explosions and DB characters can withstand the force of planetary explosions I'm saying no.
I think we ought to narrow that down to Freeza, it seems he and his brother if the movieverse is counted are able to survive such immense force as well as extreme temperatures.
Beerus & Whis are also shown to do so but that's simply because Beerus is a Hakaishin and Whis is an angel, incredible durability seems to be a prerequisite for both roles.
To be fair Freeza was banking on the lack of oxygen killing Goku not the explosion itself.
Chapter: 319 (DBZ 125), P14.4
Freeza: “I can survive in outer space. But how about you Saiyans!?”
King Kai also supports this being the case
Chapter: 320 (DBZ 126), P5.2
Kaio: “Nobody can survive where there’s no planet…Except for Freeza…”
Notice how he says Freeza will live because only he can survive in space not because only he can withstand a planetary explosion.

Also Freeza is straight up less durable than Namek saga SSJ Goku, I'd say his endurance is higher though.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 am

The Monkey King wrote:
theherodjl wrote:
To be fair Freeza was banking on the lack of oxygen killing Goku not the explosion itself.
Notice how he says Freeza will live because only he can survive in space not because only he can withstand a planetary explosion.

Also Freeza is straight up less durable than Namek saga SSJ Goku, I'd say his endurance is higher though.
Hence why I stated EXTREME TEMPERATURES on top of it.
Goku needed a specialized suit to be in outer space and another one to withstand the heat of the inner Earth, most users of Ki are incredibly durable to pure force but temperature seems to be a different story. Freeza's race has a much greater resistance to such things as Freeza can just drift in the icy vacuum of space while dismembered and Cooler even withstood the heat of the sun's surface for a brief moment, something Broly & Baby couldn't do as powerful as they were.

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Sat May 20, 2017 2:18 am

Within the logic of Dragon Ball maybe, but outside of that, it's like saying someone can survive a nuclear blast but not an equally strong right hook. Both attacks imply a transfer of kinetic and/or electrical energy from one subject to another. It doesn't matter whether the transfer occurs between flesh or an atomic explosion, the resulting damage to a physical body should be the same. However Dragon Ball isn't exactly known for having realistic physics in its universe, so it could technically be possible.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Sat May 20, 2017 4:04 pm

theherodjl wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:
theherodjl wrote:

Hence why I stated EXTREME TEMPERATURES on top of it.
Goku needed a specialized suit to be in outer space and another one to withstand the heat of the inner Earth, most users of Ki are incredibly durable to pure force but temperature seems to be a different story. Freeza's race has a much greater resistance to such things as Freeza can just drift in the icy vacuum of space while dismembered and Cooler even withstood the heat of the sun's surface for a brief moment, something Broly & Baby couldn't do as powerful as they were.
you do realize they use ki to survive all that?
including frieza.
ki also does have heat btw.
split durabiltiy is stupid , they use ki to tank everything.
punches , kicks , ki blasts and even hax is mostly ki based.
kid gohan in the one year training for the saiyans could make fire with a mini ki blast.
goku's hands burned when he blocked Freeza's atack.
so the heat increases with higher power.

buutenks

Post by buutenks » Sun May 21, 2017 7:35 am

Master Xar wrote:
buutenks wrote:No, DBZ/S is just very inconsistent.
It's been around before Super you know... go look at OBD on Narutoforums.

I've been debating DBZ vs other fictional universes since 2005, so i know the split durability thing. But truth is, like all fiction with very powerful chadacters, there will be allot of low showings due to inconsistency. So the split durability started due to the inconsistency of DB/DBZ and now DBS. Ofc, splitdurability does not exist. It was made up because people were trying to rationalise a very inconsistent series.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun May 21, 2017 8:22 am

Tsufuru wrote:you do realize they use ki to survive all that?
including frieza.
kid gohan in the one year training for the saiyans could make fire with a mini ki blast.
Freeza and his brother are the only ones to survive such extreme heat which likely has to do with their unique anatomy, everyone else either burns up or explodes violently like Broly does apparently. This suggests that Ki does NOT offer additional protection against super heated temperatures.
Heat from Ki also is not as hot as say, the mantle or core of the Earth or even the surface of the sun. However there really isn't much evidence that Ki gets hotter as a character's Ki goes up, if anything it may be something along the lines of having more force behind Ki rather than greater temperature. A bullet that is launched from either a handgun or a rifle will both be hot but its the differing force behind them that really causes different damage and sets them apart.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Having their guard down leaves their body vulnerable to attacks as their ki levels are down. That also applies to those with no control over their ki.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Mon May 22, 2017 10:43 am

theherodjl wrote:
Tsufuru wrote:you do realize they use ki to survive all that?
including frieza.
Freeza and his brother are the only ones to survive such extreme heat which likely has to do with their unique anatomy, everyone else either burns up or explodes violently like Broly does apparently. This suggests that Ki does NOT offer additional protection against super heated temperatures.
Heat from Ki also is not as hot as say, the mantle or core of the Earth or even the surface of the sun. However there really isn't much evidence that Ki gets hotter as a character's Ki goes up, if anything it may be something along the lines of having more force behind Ki rather than greater temperature. A bullet that is launched from either a handgun or a rifle will both be hot but its the differing force behind them that really causes different damage and sets them apart.
where does it say frieza survived bcuz of his body is diffrent?
didnt he survive bcuz goku gave him ki?
cooler and broly are non canon.
ki is not a bullet and not a rifle , a slow ki blast would have the same effect unlike a slow bullet.
it was cleary shown gokus hands burned bcuz he was blocking Freeza's atack for to long.
by your logic kid gohan pre saiyans could burn frieza saga goku to death if goku would touch it for long enough.
we know this wont happen.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:31 am

It doesn't exist in Dragon Ball.