Do you think Bulma and Chi-Chi are really best friends?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Do you think Bulma and Chi-Chi are really best friends?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:41 pm

I see this thing floating around quite a lot among fandom but thinking on it, it does make a whole lot of sense.

Even though Bulma's known Goku and the others for much longer, Chi-Chi is pretty much the person she can seriously relate to. Aside from being another female, she's also a unique person of unique origins and also has to deal with a freeloading asocial husband so they have a lot to talk about with each other. On top of that, Chi-Chi's not a battle-crazed freak like almost all the Z-Warriors. They can learn a thing or two from each other.

The anime also seems to support this fanon. Aside from moments where the anime puts Chi-Chi over-the-top, they act very chummy around each other like Bulma letting Chi-Chi borrow her lipstick and we're always hanging around each other during events. Even in the manga Chi-Chi saved Bulma's ass from that obnoxious fat lady.

You can say Videl might be Bulma's bestie but they barely talk to each other and Videl is pretty much a regular person to the gang. There's also #18 but she doesn't seem very social at all.

Now... yeah. What do y'all think about this?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Re: Do you think Bulma and Chi-Chi are really best friends?

Post by precita » Sun May 21, 2017 6:48 pm

I guess? Maybe? They're always shown friendly around each other and meet up every so often.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Sun May 21, 2017 7:19 pm

Chi-Chi, the country-girl homemaker, probably considers Bulma her best friend.

Bulma, the upscale, urbane city girl, could have many more friends that just don't figure into the story. But she also doesn't seem to get out much (work), and can relate to someone else with a Saiyan husband and super-powered offspring. So it's still certainly possible.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon May 22, 2017 4:22 am

I can't think of a reason for them to even like each other.

Scenes portraying the two as being chummy have always felt a bit disingenuous to me.

Cypher
Beyond Newbie

Post by Cypher » Mon May 22, 2017 12:34 pm

Agreed; it does seem to be more than anything else (let alone a well-thought out decision) a by-product of the 'female character becomes fighter's wife' paradigm in the series, doesn't it? 'Oh, they're both wives, let's parcel them together for very little justifiable reason'. Well, at least narratively speaking; for all we know 'off-screen' they might get on really well, or whatever, but we so rarely see that kind of thing that it's more or less a moot point.

Still, I guess I like the idea that they get along, simply because they're both 'strong Earth women who are attractive to Saiyan males' (even if Goku doesn't consciously have this rationale, I suppose) and have that headstrong quality in common. I just wish they'd come to use 18 a bit more; I know she's had a couple of interactions here and there in Super, and perhaps her prominence in the upcoming tournament might yield similar development, but really apart from fighting in the Buu arc tournament she's done regrettably little since she became one of the good guys (a lot of standing there in crowd scenes, I mean).

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 22, 2017 1:31 pm

18 doesn't really care about anyone else very much, although she did have a few scenes with Bulma in Super.

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Mon May 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I don't know. In DBZ I didn't really get the impression they were best friends. On friendly terms sure, but nothing more. I think Super is giving them more scenes together, also scenes with 18, but I never got the best friend vibe from them the way I did from Krillin and Goku and Goten and Trunks.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon May 22, 2017 3:17 pm

At no point have I ever thought Bulma and Chi-Chi are particularly "friendly". They mostly seem to just know the same people.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 pm

TheZFighter wrote:At no point have I ever thought Bulma and Chi-Chi are particularly "friendly". They mostly seem to just know the same people.
Watch their moments in the Buu saga, or early Super. Bulma and Chi-Chi hug each other in the stands during the world tournament.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon May 22, 2017 3:54 pm

precita wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:At no point have I ever thought Bulma and Chi-Chi are particularly "friendly". They mostly seem to just know the same people.
Watch their moments in the Buu saga, or early Super. Bulma and Chi-Chi hug each other in the stands during the world tournament.
Yes, I still don't think they're particularly friendly.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.