Did Goku predict his own death during the Cell Games?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Did Goku predict his own death during the Cell Games?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:32 am

I mean, he pretty much accepted he couldn't beat Cell but acted like it was nothing and made sure his family enjoyed their last days on Earth even going out of his way to conceive Goten. Yes I know he had Gohan as his back-up plan but look at how he went out when he sacrificed himself to Cell... it's like he knew it would come to that.

He went out the same way like legends such as Abraham Lincoln, John F Kennedy, Tupac Shakur, Michael Jackson, and Prince. All knew they would die young because of some hater.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Did Goku predict his own death during the Cell Games?

Post by sintzu » Mon May 22, 2017 8:02 pm

He knew he died in the future so he probably thought that if he didn't die like that he would some other way.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 8:42 pm

Do you really think that he went out of his way to impregnate Chichi? Don't you think it's more likely that he had sex with his wife and it just happened. Also, Gohan was never the backup plan, he was the only plan. Goku saw Gohan's power in the RoSaT and knew his son could win, and he knew that there was no other way to win.

Your idea seems pretty noble on paper, but there's nothing actually pointing in that direction without going out of your way to abide by less likely assumptions.
Retired.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Do you really think that he went out of his way to impregnate Chichi? Don't you think it's more likely that he had sex with his wife and it just happened. Also, Gohan was never the backup plan, he was the only plan. Goku saw Gohan's power in the RoSaT and knew his son could win, and he knew that there was no other way to win.

Your idea seems pretty noble on paper, but there's nothing actually pointing in that direction without going out of your way to abide by less likely assumptions.
Goku had Gohan away at Heavenly Realms for most of the 10 day wait before the Cell Games. That tells me he doing some major "catching up" with Chi-Chi.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Goku knew what he was doing when he had sex with Chi-Chi right before the Cell games so Goten would exist. Too bad he gave up on Goten in Super.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon May 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Goku definitely didn't seem in control when Gohan was toying with Cell. That was definitely not part of his plan. He had intended for Gohan to just get it over with.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 9:28 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Do you really think that he went out of his way to impregnate Chichi? Don't you think it's more likely that he had sex with his wife and it just happened. Also, Gohan was never the backup plan, he was the only plan. Goku saw Gohan's power in the RoSaT and knew his son could win, and he knew that there was no other way to win.

Goku had Gohan away at Heavenly Realms for most of the 10 day wait before the Cell Games. That tells me he doing some major "catching up" with Chi-Chi.
I don't think Saiyans have mating rituals. They were home for a few days, and traditional sex takes all of what, a half hour at most? Probably less for an impatient guy like Goku. Realistically, it only would've taken 5 minutes if he was in a hurry. After all, he never even took the time to kiss Chichi.
Retired.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:48 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

I don't think Saiyans have mating rituals. They were home for a few days, and traditional sex takes all of what, a half hour at most? Probably less for an impatient guy like Goku. Realistically, it only would've taken 5 minutes if he was in a hurry. After all, he never even took the time to kiss Chichi.
:lolno: You're going there, are you...?
fadeddreams5 wrote:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 22, 2017 9:50 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote: Goku had Gohan away at Heavenly Realms for most of the 10 day wait before the Cell Games. That tells me he doing some major "catching up" with Chi-Chi.
:lolno: You're going there, are you...?
Cannon Goku fires rapidly.
Retired.

mcdjbeatz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mcdjbeatz » Thu May 25, 2017 3:27 am

Although Goku had planned for Gohan to defeat Cell I think he knew it was a possibility for himself to die considering how quickly he decided that sacrificing himself and teleporting Cell was the only way to save the earth (he made that decision in under a minute) and because of how calm and accepting he was of his fate. In addition Goku said to Cell after teleporting to them after leaving the ROSAT that he hoped nobody would die showing that he knew it was a possibility that someone would die. As for the gap between exiting the ROSAT and the cell games his main intention was to rest before the cell games because he knew training his body up until the cell games would just be torture however I could easily see a secondary intention of his wanting to spend time with his family in case he didn't come back, which he didn't ... until the Buu Arc.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu May 25, 2017 1:12 pm

Gohan wasnt the only plan IMO.

I'm not sure the original post is correct but Goku had every intention of giving it his all against Cell and while I think he accepted he wasnt strong enough to win easily I just doubt he resigned the fight before it started.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu May 25, 2017 1:52 pm

precita wrote:Goku knew what he was doing when he had sex with Chi-Chi right before the Cell games so Goten would exist. Too bad he gave up on Goten in Super.
Because relying on children the first 2 times worked out so well for Goku...