Why is Vegeta called genius?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kishido
Banned

Why is Vegeta called genius?

Post by Kishido » Tue May 23, 2017 3:44 pm

I love Vegeta... he is awesome... but why is he called a genius?

Ever since his debut he is lacking a lot. All the years he was fodder compared to Frieza and his men even while knowing how to power up through Zenkais... He gained nothing on his own after all. After Saiyan arc he had a nice boost but that's it. Goku came to Namek and went full circles around him again.

And of course Goku gained Super Saiyan first... Vegeta got it as well through crying and that was nice.... Still Goku outsmarted him again during Cell saga with FPSSJ... Vegeta even has seen it and realized what Goku has done but gained shit after his SECOND visit in RoSaT pissing himself seeing Goku and Cell fight... Not even talking about Gohan

Timeskip... Cool that he trained a lot and gained Super Saiyan 2 (won't debate it)... But so has Goku and Vegeta needed some help by Babidi to close the gap... But that's not it... Goku even gained Super Saiyan 3... Vegeta even admitted that Goku is better which was actually a nice closure to their rivalry... But whatever.

We go to Super and another timeskip... Even through some time passed he still never was able to reach Super Saiyan 3 on his own... Whatever you need for it a genius like Vegeta should do it... Why... because in the same series he was able to learn god ki and SSB... Only genius thing he has done so far... BUT after 6 month of training with a god tier angel. While Goku absorbed the power of the ritual he still had to learn to control it... And he came way later to the training...

In U6 arc Goku showed how he has learned using even Kaioken on top of SSB... Vegeta has no ability like this... So instead he goes training in RoSaT all the time... Still Goku still is on top.

Now let us see what he will show in ToP arc... he once again is just in RoSaT while Goku is hyped to the max in the opening with some new form.

But that's not all... As I mentioned with Kaioken... What fighting abilties he has besides Ki Spamming... I would rather see Krillin fighting with his head like shown against Goku than this stupid Ki spamming. Hell even our dumbass Goku is learning in fights and using strategies to overpower his opponent ever since DB.

And yeah I'm comparing him to Goku cuz he is the goal of Vegeta... Bringing in the hybrids like Gohan or his son Trunks and their learning everything in mere seconds would be unfair... Cuz not even Goku can keep up with this.

BONUS NON CANON GT STORY
here the same... Years have passed... And Vegeta still got no Super Saiyan 3... Later on whole I admit that Goku god help from Elder Kai with his tail, he still managed to get Super Saiyan 4... Vegeta cried... Thanks to his wife he cheated his way to Super Saiyan 4... But with one DRAWBACK... After the machine destroyed he couldn't go back to it on his own... Awesome.

As I mentioned in a Cabba discussion... he can be glad that Planet Vegeta was destroyed... I bet some other Saiyans like U7 version of Caulifla and Kale would overshadow him... There has to be a reason why Cabba has no interest about asking his ELITE King, he compared to Vegeta himself

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Why is Vegeta called genius?

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:41 pm

Piccolo called in a genius when it came to fighting but that's it.

He's not a genius. A genius doesn't get his pride in the way of common sense. Outside of Krillin, this dude is the main reason why Cell became complete in the first place. He could have easily finished off second form Cell, but didn't and got cocky. He even hurt his OWN son Future Trunks whom he just shared a whole year to bond with just to get a good fight, being incredibly selfish of everyone else' safety. He had a kid and didn't care about them or the mother of his child. He's not a genius. Please.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Tue May 23, 2017 4:46 pm

Vegeta isn't a genius, he's a fighting genius. He managed to break through the wall of Super Saiyan on his own, he also trick Dr Gero who at the time could have easily floored him into running away. Heck, Vegeta even admitted that Goku would always be number one in the end which was apart of the Prince's development.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:11 pm

omaro34 wrote:Piccolo called in a genius when it came to fighting but that's it.

He's not a genius. A genius doesn't get his pride in the way of common sense. Outside of Krillin, this dude is the main reason why Cell became complete in the first place. He could have easily finished off second form Cell, but didn't and got cocky. He even hurt his OWN son Future Trunks whom he just shared a whole year to bond with just to get a good fight, being incredibly selfish of everyone else' safety. He had a kid and didn't care about them or the mother of his child. He's not a genius. Please.
This is wrong. Many of the smartest people in the world are known to lack common sense.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:33 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:
omaro34 wrote:Piccolo called in a genius when it came to fighting but that's it.

This is wrong. Many of the smartest people in the world are known to lack common sense.
Something that blatant given the circumstances and the stakes? I don't think so. The smartest people in the world could potentially lack common sense but not to that extent.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Tue May 23, 2017 6:42 pm

On Namek, Vegeta was highly intelligent. He used his ability to sense and lower ki, to not only secure his own dragon ball but take out Cui and Dodoria. He was cunning up until Freeza then he got cocky.

In the cell saga, lets be real everyone is stupid.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed May 24, 2017 1:20 am

I've never thought Vegeta was overly intelligent and I can recall many other people trying to suggest otherwise.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 am

Most will agree he was smart in the Saiyan and Namek arcs but disagree on Cell and Buu.

In Cell he was called that by Piccolo when he mangaed to scare Gero away. He was the 1st one to find a form beyond Ssj and was the only one to know when to distract Cell.

In the Buu arc he figured that removing Fat Buu would weaken Super buu and he told Goku how to kill Buu.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed May 24, 2017 9:56 am

The closest Vegeta gets to a genius is by marrying Bulma.

If you did read it please tell me how.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed May 24, 2017 10:29 am

Because he calls himself a "freakin' genius" in like the 1st or 2nd episode of the old FUNI dub.

I would say he's pretty smart on Namek. Basically engaging in guerilla warfare against Freeza's troops and does a great job on it. He's outclassed, but manages to stay a few steps ahead of them. It's not until his pride gets ahold of him and he thinks that he's a Super Saiyan that he becomes a bit of a moron. Saiyan and Namek arc Vegeta is pretty awesome.

From there on out, his only real combat strategy against stronger opponents is to try to outfight them. I guess he was smart enough to rip off Android 19's hands at least.

Shinda Forever
Temporarily Banned

Post by Shinda Forever » Wed May 24, 2017 10:54 am

Please this chump is not a genius, he was humiliated by Goku all the time, he only believes in raw power and he never did a creative technique his whole life.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:07 am

omaro34 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

Something that blatant given the circumstances and the stakes? I don't think so. The smartest people in the world could potentially lack common sense but not to that extent.
When has Vegeta during the Cell Saga ever shown himself as concerned for the greater good? From the jump, he was always about being the strongest.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed May 24, 2017 12:28 pm

Vegeta has shown many times he's a battle genius, like it or not. But Goku is a even better fighting genius than Vegeta.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 pm

emperior wrote:Vegeta has shown many times he's a battle genius, like it or not. But Goku is a even better fighting genius than Vegeta.
The problem is, all they ever compete against are geniuses, so one genius tops the other..
Even chiaotzu is a genius but outclassed by other better people who have the biology to support them..

Goku is the best of them all, if everyone is a genius he is a super genius
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Wed May 24, 2017 6:23 pm

omaro34 wrote:
DBZAOTA482 wrote:

You can be intelligent and let your ego cloud your judgement.
You can be average or below average, yet still have a good sense of humility so as to not allow your pride to get in the way of common sense.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Wed May 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Vegeta's a genius in the same way Naruto's series deems genius. Goku in that scenario(Saiyan Saga at least) was using hard work to overcome his natural disadvantage of being a lower rank saiyan warrior. Vegeta is a naturally gifted warrior being the highest ranking saiyan you can be. He won the genetic superpower lottery on that one.

Battle smarts wise Vegeta is seemingly outclassed by pretty much everyone, not just Goku. Vegeta relies on being stronger than his opponent, or zenkai abuse and when that fails it's back to good old ki spamming. Honestly I find him one of the least tactical fighters in the whole series. I think the Zarbon fight was the only time I genuinely thought he had an ounce of strategy in battle and that was dropping sand in pretty boy's eyes.

Speaking of that arc; he was intelligent on Namek, outsmarting Frieza and his goons, but he still got outplayed in the old sneaky strategy stakes by Krillin and Gohan. Are they considered super geniuses since they outwitted him at his most intellectual?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sat May 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Being an asshole doesn't take away the fact that you could potential be a genius, in fact more often than not geniuses tend to be just that assholes.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

MagmonKai
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MagmonKai » Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 pm

To Be Fair, Caulifla was just Called a "genius" by Cabba and nothing about her strikes me as Genius. Maybe that term is overused, when the character can't explain why said Genius character is able to accomplish some feat or another. I think Vegeta just works really hard..

Eight-Star Dragon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Eight-Star Dragon » Mon May 29, 2017 2:04 am

Didn't Vegeta learn to sense ki all on his own? Seems he did it fairly quickly too.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Eight-Star Dragon wrote:Didn't Vegeta learn to sense ki all on his own? Seems he did it fairly quickly too.
Yeah, I think he first showed it when he killed Dadoria.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.