Why Don't U6 Saiyans Have Scouters?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Why Don't U6 Saiyans Have Scouters?

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:57 pm

I know its Freeza's technology (though it isnt specified who makes them for him or where he gets them) but shouldn't the U6 Saiyans be using some form of power-reading technology as well? Even if just for the basis of their jobs? It doesn't matter if they're supposed to be heroic, how do they scale their opponents? Especially if they can't really sense ki (if they can, thats pretty much bs.)
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Kaboom

Re: Why Don't U6 Saiyans Have Scouters?

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:01 pm

Scouters were originally Tsufrian technology, which ended up widespread when the Saiyans conquered Planet Plant and soon after joined up with Freeza. That never happened in Universe 6 since the Saiyans are still on Planet Sadla, so I guess if scouter technology was still a thing, then it remained exclusive to the Tsufrians there.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Even if the technology remains Tsufrian, shouldn't U6 Saiyan's still have their own form of technology to detect the power level? Currently they can sense someones powerful but they don't seem to beable to do anything Goku or the others can.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Why would they want to scan power levels anyway?

Power levels are bullshit.

If you did read it please tell me how.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Generico Garbagio wrote:Why would they want to scan power levels anyway?

In-Universe wise, they would still need some way to prepare for threats logically right? They also need some way to range their own strengths and goals right? Completely eliminating that element from the series is why the characters just seem to have infinite, on the spot power. There aren't any goal posts anymore. Beyond that, just for their jobs they would need to know how strong their enemies are if they can't sense ki.

Also, I personally hate that joke thrown around so loosely "Power levels are bullshit". It only means that they aren't strictly definitive and that skewing potential to numeral units are ignorant (emphasized in-universe). Its not the same thing as power scaling.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Caulifla says she can feel amazing power when both Cabba and Kale transform. Seems to me that they can sense ki on their own.

DrakenballP
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrakenballP » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:43 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:Caulifla says she can feel amazing power when both Cabba and Kale transform. Seems to me that they can sense ki on their own.
Sensing the power and measuring the power are completely different though. Just because you can sense someone is incredibly strong doesn't mean they are, it could all be a facade. The Scouter can help detect it, and your own.

Though, Scouters are pretty useless for the most part anyway as shown in one of the Namek Arc episodes. If someone can hide or drop their power level it's going to be pointless to own a Scouter.
"I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!" - Goku.

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:44 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Generico Garbagio wrote:Why would they want to scan power levels anyway?

In-Universe wise, they would still need some way to prepare for threats logically right? They also need some way to range their own strengths and goals right? Completely eliminating that element from the series is why the characters just seem to have infinite, on the spot power. There aren't any goal posts anymore. Beyond that, just for their jobs they would need to know how strong their enemies are if they can't sense ki.

Also, I personally hate that joke thrown around so loosely "Power levels are bullshit". It only means that they aren't strictly definitive and that skewing potential to numeral units are ignorant (emphasized in-universe). Its not the same thing as power scaling.
Aw sorry. I didn't know you hated the "Power levels are bullshit" joke. :(

I guess they probably learned to sense ki along the way somewhere. I mean, if Yamcha can, right? I hope you don't hate this Yamcha joke. :(

But really, actually using technology like scouters seems to be what makes races too lazy to properly learn how to sense ki and power. And as DrakenballP said, scouters are even more useless when the ki user can control his ki well enough.

Question: what about scouters vs God ki? If they blow up with high power levels, would they blow up or read nothing? My guess is the latter!

If you did read it please tell me how.

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:09 pm

Can every Saiyan in U6 sense other's presences? If so I don't see the point. One of the major reasons they were used earlier is because no one could read ki signals without them.

I would however enjoy the numbers.... numbers..... :angel:
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:12 am

They got them from Frieza. U6 saiyans don't work for Frieza so they don't have them. Just because they are the same race you think they would use the same technology as another universe? That sound kind of racist to me.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:11 am

I think their Ki sensing capabilities are on par with those of Goku and Piccolo when they fought Raditz. They couldn't locate him without the dragon radar and when Raditz approached Piccolo he couldn't tell whether it was Goku or not until he saw his face. Maybe Raditz had similar ki to Goku though.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:12 pm

dragon boss z wrote:They got them from Frieza. U6 saiyans don't work for Frieza so they don't have them. Just because they are the same race you think they would use the same technology as another universe? That sound kind of racist to me.
How is assuming or questioning if people in the same field have the same technological requirements racist illogical. Your logic is comparing the scouters' exclusivity as if they're the same as the Brutz Power ball; a technique that was created for U7 saiyans specifically because they have tails. Why the U6 Saiyans not having that technique more obvious than a generalized concept of power gauging. All of the people who work for Freeza use them. Those details don't even matter, because of what they're used for should be universal to their jobs regardless of universe.
Generico Garbagio wrote:Aw sorry. I didn't know you hated the "Power levels are bullshit" joke. :(
No, I can laugh at memes. Its just the people who often make the joke, don't understand the joke. They often use it as some excuse to throw the expectation of better consistency or criticism of the writing out the window because, power levels don't matter. But the absurdities of the plot armor boosting up Goku & Vegeta at times is where the inconsistencies are, as thats what the joke is. Like Cooler being at a 470 million getting beaten by Goku at 150 million, because plot. Thats the joke.
Generico Garbagio wrote:I guess they probably learned to sense ki along the way somewhere. I mean, if Yamcha can, right? I hope you don't hate this Yamcha joke. :(
That was always implied to be an exclusive Earth (or gods) ability because of the training regarding ki control and meditation. It doesn't make sense for all the characters to just now know how to do it because we're at the point in the story where all the main characters can. That to my headcanon is why they would make the U6 saiyans so OP, simply because the main characters are that strong. Plot-Boosts.
Generico Garbagio wrote:But really, actually using technology like scouters seems to be what makes races too lazy to properly learn how to sense ki and power. And as DrakenballP said, scouters are even more useless when the ki user can control his ki well enough.
Its useless but its only because character in-universe realized that it could be an exploit. It shouldn't mean that all the other characters in existence now should know this. If the U6 Saiyans needed to know this, they should be taught that specifically.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:49 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: How is assuming or questioning if people in the same field have the same technological requirements racist illogical. Your logic is comparing the scouters' exclusivity as if they're the same as the Brutz Power ball; a technique that was created for U7 saiyans specifically because they have tails. Why the U6 Saiyans not having that technique more obvious than a generalized concept of power gauging. All of the people who work for Freeza use them. Those details don't even matter, because of what they're used for should be universal to their jobs regardless of universe.
Obviously I was semi joking. But you might as well say why don't any of the U6 fighters use scouters. If anything Frost would be the one with a scouter. People just tend to associate saiyans with scouters when the only reason they ever had them is because they worked for Frieza. Same thing with the saiyan armor. That was actually Frieza armor.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:42 pm

dragon boss z wrote: Obviously I was semi joking. But you might as well say why don't any of the U6 fighters use scouters. If anything Frost would be the one with a scouter. People just tend to associate saiyans with scouters when the only reason they ever had them is because they worked for Frieza. Same thing with the saiyan armor. That was actually Frieza armor.
I knew you were joking. I just think my question was misunderstood, because I never implied that only Saiyans used Scouters, even looking at an in-universe context. I know that everyone who worked for Freeza used Scouters, but in U6 we only know that the Saiyans are directly employed to Frost, so they specifically are who I was questioning. (And I guess because PL are most relevant with them) Though I know they wouldn't wear Freeza's armor because their armour is specifically made by Freeza's resources that represent him. A scouter is just a tool for a wider use of practicality in the role the Saiyans have, regardless of who they work for. I was asking why they don't have any device at all, even if Frost had his own hypothetical brand of the same tool.

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:08 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: I knew you were joking. I just think my question was misunderstood, because I never implied that only Saiyans used Scouters, even looking at an in-universe context. I know that everyone who worked for Freeza used Scouters, but in U6 we only know that the Saiyans are directly employed to Frost, so they specifically are who I was questioning. (And I guess because PL are most relevant with them) Though I know they wouldn't wear Freeza's armor because their armour is specifically made by Freeza's resources that represent him. A scouter is just a tool for a wider use of practicality in the role the Saiyans have, regardless of who they work for. I was asking why they don't have any device at all, even if Frost had his own hypothetical brand of the same tool.
Can't universe 6 saiyans sense energy? That would answer your question.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:07 am

DrakenballP wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Caulifla says she can feel amazing power when both Cabba and Kale transform. Seems to me that they can sense ki on their own.
Sensing the power and measuring the power are completely different though. Just because you can sense someone is incredibly strong doesn't mean they are, it could all be a facade. The Scouter can help detect it, and your own.
There's never been a case of that at all. Individuals have fooled those who can sense ki as well as scouters by suppressing their power to seem weaker than they actually are, but there's never once been an indication of someone being able to appear stronger than they actually are. If they're capable of emitting that level of ki, then they are that strong, simple as that.

All a scouter or similar device would allow, in comparison to ki sensing, is more precise figures.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:46 pm

#16's power reading scanners didn't appear all too bad. Organic sensing just seems to be the way to go for the vast majority of the cast, though. Universe 6's Saiyans may not have had the luxury of coming into contact with the marketers who provide the scouters. It's also possible the scouters never developed at all in the U6 universe.