Why couldn't' Goku stop kid Buu's attack?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Why couldn't' Goku stop kid Buu's attack?

Post by AvatarReiko » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:24 pm

So I just did a re-read of the manga and I am at the bit where Kid But blows up the earth. There is one thing about this scene that I don't quite understand. At at this point in the manga, Goku was par with Buu in terms of KI with SSJ3. Just as Buu releases his attack, Goku says something along the lines of "It's too big. We can't stop that". This doesn't make sense. Could he have jumped to SSJ3 and deflected Buu's attack with a full power Kamehameha? It's already been shown that Goku can turn SSJ3 instantly. I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Why couldn't' Goku stop kid Buu's attack?

Post by Hugo Boss » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Perhaps he didn't have the needed stamina to do both a transformation and a full-power kamehameha? Goku didn't surpass Super Saiyan level after defusing until Kaioshin took him to Supreme Kai's world, after all.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Doesn't it take a bit of time to not only go SSJ 3 but charge a really large Kamehameha? And Kid buu had already gathered a lot of energy for that attack.

It's probably just an issue of time.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:35 pm

He was thinking about how to save the ones he loved because he could not gather enough energy in time.

Then he had to switch focus to Dende, and then try and concentrate on the World of the Kais.

He had a lot to worry about in such a short time span. He definitely could have.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:26 am

Boo Machine wrote:Doesn't it take a bit of time to not only go SSJ 3 but charge a really large Kamehameha? And Kid buu had already gathered a lot of energy for that attack.

Goku instantaneously turned SSJ3 against Majin Boo Gotenks Absorbed.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:39 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:Doesn't it take a bit of time to not only go SSJ 3 but charge a really large Kamehameha? And Kid buu had already gathered a lot of energy for that attack.

You're right indeed. He even does so against Kid Buu.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:52 am

Boo Machine wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:

You're right indeed. He even does so against Kid Buu.
Yeah in the manga at least. The anime he fought as SSJ2 first, then went full power afterwards.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:25 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:So I just did a re-read of the manga and I am at the bit where Kid But blows up the earth. There is one thing about this scene that I don't quite understand. At at this point in the manga, Goku was par with Buu in terms of KI with SSJ3. Just as Buu releases his attack, Goku says something along the lines of "It's too big. We can't stop that". This doesn't make sense. Could he have jumped to SSJ3 and deflected Buu's attack with a full power Kamehameha? It's already been shown that Goku can turn SSJ3 instantly. I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.
Goku probably was just thinking about Piccolo and their sons's immediate safety before taking action against an unhinged foe that has no qualm launching planet busters around without any regard for itself or anything else, Goku does later block a massive uncharged Ki blast by Kid Boo during their fight in the Kaioshin realm and it takes several seconds to hold that back. He may of not desired to risk their chances of survival on any" would've" or "could've" in the heat of the moment.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:03 pm

I just chalk it up to "Rule Of Drama". Toriyama needed to raise the stakes as high as possible for what seemed like the final battle in the story.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:38 am

Maybe it was supposed to be more the nature of the energy blast rather than the power of it. Energy blasts have "hard" or "soft" surfaces depending on how they're formed and fired. Some act like they're washing over an opponent with no real surface to interact with, while others can be physically blocked and diverted. So Goku may have recognized that Kid Buu's blast was the sort that would continue on without limit, completely independent of his attempts to fire blasts at it (which would just go through) or block it by himself (and it would just continue past him).
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!