Gohan SSJ2 against Boo's egg and Dabura???

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Gohan SSJ2 against Boo's egg and Dabura???

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:57 pm

While watching Kai the Final chapers, we should safely assume Gohan was SSJ most of the time. The reason I think this is because Gohan implies he never went SSJ2 because he didn't want to risk giving Majin Boo the full power. He says this when Boo reaches full power, that Goku and Vegeta must be fighting at a level beyond SSJ.
That leads me to believe why he refused SSJ2, when he did it so easily at the tournament. (It can't be because of Videl. She was healed, and he wasn't fighting Spopovitch. SSJ2 transformation wasn't the issue, it was getting angry to reach the SSJ1 power greater than what he was in his weaker version of SSJ1.)
Gohan didn't even go SSJ2 against Majin Boo. So there's another inconsistency

But at the same time, why would Goku lie about Dabura's power saying he's around Cell's level. (We must assume he meant Super Perfect Cell, why would Goku refer to a power lower than what was at his best. Seems out of Goku's character to do that. He's always referring to the absolute strongest.)

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Gohan SSJ2 against Boo's egg and Dabura???

Post by theherodjl » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:13 pm

This has kinda been done to death, Gohan was a SSJ and Goku's statement unfortunately was arbitrary in determining Dabura's exact strength but just as well for Gohan.
Gohan is implied by Vegeta to be weaker but then Goku tells him to get angry like he was against Cell and he wouldn't lose to anyone, Gohan does state that he was angry but not to the degree against Cell. I imagine this means his anger pushed him to a level above his ordinary SSJ but not enough to warrant SSJ2 which is about the level Cell sat around at, that's about the best we can estimate all this crap without presuming the concept of a 'silent' transition unto or depowered variant of SSJ2 exists...which is just fan made.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:31 pm

He transformed into SSJ2 at the tournament when he was fresh. He could have done the same against Dabura and lost the energy off panel, since it cut right into the two of them fighting, hence why Goku gave him a senzu bean at the end. Now, with that being said, Gohan only needed to power up for an attack against Boo's cocoon, instead of indulging in a fierce fight against Dabura, so anything goes without the need to ascend. He could have, once again, lost the energy to go SSJ2.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:32 pm

Desassina wrote:He transformed into SSJ2 at the tournament when he was fresh. He could have done the same against Dabura and lost the energy off panel, since it cut right into the two of them fighting, hence why Goku gave him a senzu bean at the end. Now, with that being said, Gohan only needed to power up for an attack against Boo's cocoon, instead of indulging in a fierce fight against Dabura, so anything goes without the need to ascend. He could have, once again, lost the energy to go SSJ2.
It's also possible Kibito's healing didn't restore his energy. When Vegeta is brought back to life by Porunga, he is alive and his wounds are healed but Goku even says he's still really low on power, so low he apparently can't even turn on regular Super Saiyan.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:45 pm

The anime's guidebook says he was a Ssj2 while the manga's says he was Ssj so he was 2 in the anime and 1 in the manga.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:56 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:It's also possible Kibito's healing didn't restore his energy. When Vegeta is brought back to life by Porunga, he is alive and his wounds are healed but Goku even says he's still really low on power, so low he apparently can't even turn on regular Super Saiyan.
That is ok, but I prefer the idea of Gohan having transformed into SSJ2 against Dabura, and the two of them draining each other, but only because there was no damage dealt to Gohan for Kibito to heal his wounds, except the energy being taken from him. Remember that Gohan was probably not damaged by Dabura as well, since only his energy at the tournament was significant to Majin Boo's revival (with Goku and Vegeta's battle as well), but he got tired from fighting.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:59 pm

sintzu wrote:The anime's guidebook says he was a Ssj2 while the manga's says he was Ssj so he was 2 in the anime and 1 in the manga.
It's all so unnecessarily confusing. But at the end of the day, does it really matter that much?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:01 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:It's all so unnecessarily confusing. But at the end of the day, does it really matter that much?
Not really but if someone's interested in every last detail then I guess it does.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:54 pm

Desassina wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:It's also possible Kibito's healing didn't restore his energy. When Vegeta is brought back to life by Porunga, he is alive and his wounds are healed but Goku even says he's still really low on power, so low he apparently can't even turn on regular Super Saiyan.
That is ok, but I prefer the idea of Gohan having transformed into SSJ2 against Dabura, and the two of them draining each other, but only because there was no damage dealt to Gohan for Kibito to heal his wounds, except the energy being taken from him. Remember that Gohan was probably not damaged by Dabura as well, since only his energy at the tournament was significant to Majin Boo's revival (with Goku and Vegeta's battle as well), but he got tired from fighting.
How though? It was said his power was fully restored and Gohan even mentioned that he feels stronger than before. Vegeta was low on power because of his fight with Boo. Goku didn't lose energy after his revival to travel back on Snake Road to rush and fight the Saiyans. Neither was Piccolo to fight Freeza.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:31 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:But at the same time, why would Goku lie about Dabura's power saying he's around Cell's level. (We must assume he meant Super Perfect Cell, why would Goku refer to a power lower than what was at his best. Seems out of Goku's character to do that. He's always referring to the absolute strongest.)
Goku made his assessment of Dabura based on his movements. The only time Super Perfect Cell existed was after Goku had already died, and he didn't even realize that Cell hadn't died until virtually the same time as when SPC had already teleported back to Earth. We the audience see a ghost image of Goku offerring support and encouragement to Gohan during the beam battle, but in in-universe reality, Goku was only ever communicating with Gohan through King Kai from the afterlife.

I.e., Goku's only assessment of Super Perfect Cell would be "stronger than Perfect Cell but still defeatable by Cell Games SSJ2 Gohan", based solely on hearsay and only in broad strokes. That is not the assessment he based his estimation of Dabura on; that one, rather, was based on what he actually knew, and the most powerful form of Cell he ever personally witnessed was Perfect Cell.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:How though? It was said his power was fully restored and Gohan even mentioned that he feels stronger than before. Vegeta was low on power because of his fight with Boo. Goku didn't lose energy after his revival to travel back on Snake Road to rush and fight the Saiyans. Neither was Piccolo to fight Freeza.
I think you have quoted the wrong person, because the only instances of Gohan having lost energy that I'm talking about are:
- fighting against Dabura after transforming into SSJ2 against him.
- attacking Boo's cocoon by giving all that he's got without ascending.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:36 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Desassina wrote:
How though? It was said his power was fully restored and Gohan even mentioned that he feels stronger than before. Vegeta was low on power because of his fight with Boo. Goku didn't lose energy after his revival to travel back on Snake Road to rush and fight the Saiyans. Neither was Piccolo to fight Freeza.

The page here implies Kibito didn't entirely restore his energy, just enough to make him combatively viable again. I don't know if there's something that says otherwise later on, though.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:51 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Desassina wrote:

The page here implies Kibito didn't entirely restore his energy, just enough to make him combatively viable again. I don't know if there's something that says otherwise later on, though.
What does the panel say after that page. I thought Kibito was just saying "he has incredible reserves of strength. This is taking longer than expected". Then once he's healed Gohan says around the lines "I actually feel stronger than before"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:53 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:What does the panel say after that page. I thought Kibito was just saying "he has incredible reserves of strength. This is taking longer than expected". Then once he's healed Gohan says around the lines "I actually feel stronger than before"
Gohan doesn't say anything about his power, he asks Kibito who he is and he & Videl converse for a bit before taking off to go fight Babidi.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:What does the panel say after that page. I thought Kibito was just saying "he has incredible reserves of strength. This is taking longer than expected". Then once he's healed Gohan says around the lines "I actually feel stronger than before"
Gohan doesn't say anything about his power, he asks Kibito who he is and he & Videl converse for a bit before taking off to go fight Babidi.
Okay, in the manga it doesn't flesh it out, but when I was watching the subtitles in the anime Gohan says "it feels like I have more power than I did before". Or around those lines. Kibito never actually said he didn't restore his full power, what it was implying was that Gohan had much reserves of power and it was taking longer than usual to heal him.
But then again the fan base usually assumes TOEI got it wrong and goes with their own interpretation.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:55 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Okay, in the manga it doesn't flesh it out, by when I was watching the subtitles in the anime Gohan says "it feels like I have more power than I did before". Or around those lines. Kibito never actually said he didn't restore his full power, what it was implying was that Gohan had much reserves of power and it was taking longer than usual to heal him.
But then again the fan base usually assumes TOEI got it wrong and goes with their own interpretation.
The anime has Gohan clearly use SS2 to fight Dabra whereas Toriyama keeps him a one so I wouldn't be surprised if by extension the Kibito thing is different between the two of them. He powers up Gohan in the anime (not by much) and in the manga, he struggles to bring him back to 100%.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:22 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote: Gohan doesn't say anything about his power, he asks Kibito who he is and he & Videl converse for a bit before taking off to go fight Babidi.
Okay, in the manga it doesn't flesh it out, by when I was watching the subtitles in the anime Gohan says "it feels like I have more power than I did before". Or around those lines. Kibito never actually said he didn't restore his full power, what it was implying was that Gohan had much reserves of power and it was taking longer than usual to heal him.
The anime has Gohan clearly use SS2 to fight Dabra whereas Toriyama keeps him a one so I wouldn't be surprised if by extension the Kibito thing is different between the two of them. He powers up Gohan in the anime (not by much) and in the manga, he struggles to bring him back to 100%.
I don't believe even in the anime he was SSJ2, despite Kibito giving him a zenkai. Gohan was clearly surprised that Goku and Vegeta were fighting beyond SSJ and was worried it'd bring Boo to full power. That's pretty evident that he never was SSJ against Dabura. Maybe I overstated in my original comment. Maybe he could go SSJ2 at the tournament because the idea of Videl being beaten up was still fresh in his mind. That's a fan theory, but it's all we have to go off of.

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 pm

The better question is what does Kibito mean that Gohan has pure energy. What about his energy makes it so pure compared to others?