Yamcha's Pride

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Yamcha's Pride

Post by omaro34 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:13 pm

I'm not a fan of Yamcha. I like him but not nearly like other characters. This post isn't directly about his combat skills, its more about the age old love triangle which has dissipated now but was thriving back at the start of the Android arc.

They really robbed Yamcha. His girl leaves him for a genocidal maniac who was indirectly responsible for his death, and yet he's completely powerless to do anything about it. Bulma started flirting with Vegeta when they all got transported to Earth from Namek, and during that time Vegeta was still such an arrogant jerk with virtually no redeeming qualities about him.

I feel so bad for Yamcha when I think about this. Your manhood is questioned when your long time mate is stripped away from you, and knowing Vegeta can kill you anytime he wants, makes it such a slap in the face.

I wouldn't even talk to Bulma if I was Yamcha. I wouldn't bother going to her parties. Since I'm powerless to confront Vegeta disappearing is better than the humiliation. Or better yet die trying godamn it.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

If you were Yamcha in this situation and its the start of the Android arc during that 3 years and you see Bulma falling for Vegeta, what would you do? Would your interactions with Bulma change in the future? How would you deal with Vegeta's constant insults calling you a weakling?

The easy answer is just move on like he did, but that would apply if Bulma went for somebody not named my killer. All of the Z fighters disliked Vegeta during this time.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

precita
Banned

Re: Yamcha's Pride

Post by precita » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:10 pm

Considering Yamcha and Bulma have always been shown on friendly terms after Trunks was born, it does seem like he just quickly made peace with it and moved on. It's also implied Yamcha dated people off-screen.

Yamcha/Bulma was always and on again and off again relationship. They had mini-break ups all the time in Dragonball and during the early Saiyan arc. In fact one of Bulma's first scenes before Radditz shows up is her getting angry at Yamcha and vowing to break up with him.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 am

I have always liked how maturely Yamcha dealt with the situation. As above said, after Trunks's birth, Yamcha appeared to deal with it and move on pretty quickly. I like that. It takes a lot more mental strength to get over something than it does to just let it eat you up and take over your life. Good for him.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:55 am

It's not difficult for me to let people go.

In this situation, I would immediately end the relationship then and there. Any man or woman willing to have a sexual relationship with a genocidal mass murderer isn't worth the hassle to begin with.

Move on, dodge the bullet and wash my hands of the situation.

Besides, Yamcha got there first. He took her virginity and had her in her best years (16-30), when she was young and adventurous.

Nothing to be ashamed about.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:33 am

I always found it weird that some online meme's constantly make fun of Yamcha for losing Bulma to Vegeta...but overall...he doesn't seem to care. And as I said before, Yamcha and Bulma are still on friendly terms and they wind up seeing each other fairly often since Yamcha always shows up at the big group get togethers.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:17 am

precita wrote:Considering Yamcha and Bulma have always been shown on friendly terms after Trunks was born, it does seem like he just quickly made peace with it and moved on. It's also implied Yamcha dated people off-screen.

Yamcha/Bulma was always and on again and off again relationship. They had mini-break ups all the time in Dragonball and during the early Saiyan arc. In fact one of Bulma's first scenes before Radditz shows up is her getting angry at Yamcha and vowing to break up with him.
It was a plot convenience to get more Saiyan/Human hybrids in my opinion.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:24 am

omaro34 wrote:His girl leaves him for a genocidal maniac who was indirectly responsible for his death, and yet he's completely powerless to do anything about it.

If you were Yamcha in this situation and its the start of the Android arc during that 3 years and you see Bulma falling for Vegeta, what would you do ?

Would your interactions with Bulma change in the future ?

How would you deal with Vegeta's constant insults calling you a weakling ?
He was cheating on her a lot so she's not the only one to blame for what happened, if anything it's all his fault.

I'd be surprised it didn't happen sooner considering how many times I was caught cheating on her even though she let me live in her massive house.

Probably not.

I'd wish to be able to go Ssj before even thinking about doing anything to him.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:13 pm

sintzu wrote:
omaro34 wrote:His girl leaves him for a genocidal maniac who was indirectly responsible for his death, and yet he's completely powerless to do anything about it.

If you were Yamcha in this situation and its the start of the Android arc during that 3 years and you see Bulma falling for Vegeta, what would you do ?

Would your interactions with Bulma change in the future ?

How would you deal with Vegeta's constant insults calling you a weakling ?
He was cheating on her a lot so she's not the only one to blame for what happened, if anything it's all his fault.

I'd be surprised it didn't happen sooner considering how many times I was caught cheating on her even though she let me live in her massive house.

Probably not.

I'd wish to be able to go Ssj before even thinking about doing anything to him.
Yamcha never cheated on Bulma!!! Stop with this defaming myth!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:45 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Yamcha never cheated on Bulma!!! Stop with this defaming myth!
Are you sure ? it was always brought up in the dub.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:22 pm

.....died of shame years ago and unceremoniously dumped is a ditch by the road side.

Seriously though I wonder if his downward slide was due to mental problems. Ok just going out on a bit of a theoretical examination here.

When we first see him Yamcha was pretty ok guy who had been made hard by life. The real him came out after he met out heroes.What in his life, drove a pretty cool guy to take up the life of a savage bandit living out in the sticks? While he did cheat on her, Young Bulma, lets be a bit fair here, was not exactly an angel herself. There are a number of times were she ripped into the poor guy for no reason, if thats an example of their day to day life Yamcha likely spent most of his time walking on eggshells. Things were ok but she could be overly critical. Yamcha likely dealt with it ok at first since she was his first girlfriend ever and he did like her. But as that goes on and on cracks start to form. Then you add his self esteem issues. Yamcha has not only lost every important fight he's ever been in passed his fight with Goku, the poor guy has also suffered some of these defeats very publicly.

With his warrior pride constantly getting beaten down and home life not being perfect....well something was gonna happen. What probably turned the shy and proud bandit into the dickish, playboy was his baseball career. With those issues on his shoulders having a chance to shine and be admired likely went right to his head. But fame and money are very corrupting influences....worse, please forgive me any female members, manipulative sluts who would be happy make passes at this famous and good looking athlete who had more then a little money to his name. Please note that I'm not saying this was not Yamcha's fault or that Bulma drove him to it. Its just the guy was in a situation were something bad was going to happen and when the big choice came along he chose poorly. He's the idiot who ruined his own life....but as always you can see the path the lead to that point and that sometimes life can be unfair. But as always its how you deal with it that matters and Yamcha did a bad job.

In time he became Yamcha of the Z era. The good man is still in their and I dare say that post the saiyan arc he go t better but the spark he had has never come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Didn't Yamcha say his yellow suit in the Buu saga was to go on dates with? Or am I remembering wrong?

Gray Riders
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gray Riders » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:19 pm

TheZFighter wrote:I have always liked how maturely Yamcha dealt with the situation. As above said, after Trunks's birth, Yamcha appeared to deal with it and move on pretty quickly. I like that. It takes a lot more mental strength to get over something than it does to just let it eat you up and take over your life. Good for him.
Yeah, I agree. As far as I remember Z, at least in the manga, implied things were going fine with Yamcha--he was still friends with the group and there was no indication his life was a mess.
Super on the other hand, seems to be incorporating memes into the canon.
sintzu wrote: Are you sure ? it was always brought up in the dub.
I believe Toriyama confirmed he did, a revealed in an interview with Mr. Furuya, then gave a more recent interview saying he's still shy around women. Those two things are kind of weird together.
Honestly, judging by how the two actually acted it would have seemed significantly more likely that Bulma cheated on him with Vegeta than lied about it to Trunks, and up until the interview that's what I assumed had happened.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:15 am

I'd leave Bulma's house forever and go out into the world. Then I'd find somebody new and more attractive than Bulma (which Yamcha could do) and bring her to parties as a nice "fuck you" to Bulma and Vegeta. If I was feeling vengeful, I'd poison Vegeta in his sleep and secretly become a hero to the humans but get hated by Goku.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

DragonZ

Post by DragonZ » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Actually, Yamcha doesn't have a pride. He let Vegeta get Bulma right in front of him hahah :P
-Dragon Ball Z fanatic and a Graphics Artist at Petstreetmall
"Pet Supplies for pet lovers everywhere! Petstreetmall is the only place you need for your pet supply needs.

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:45 pm

DragonZ wrote:Actually, Yamcha doesn't have a pride. He let Vegeta get Bulma right in front of him hahah :P
Yes, but Bulma was 32 years old by then, and Yamcha had her for 16 years when she was young and adventurous.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:53 pm

Yeah, Bulma was a 16 year old sex craved teen. Anyone who thinks she and Yamcha didn't have sex many times before they eventually broke up is kidding themselves. Just look at how much Bulma constantly puts herself out in the original Dragonball.

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:18 am

precita wrote:Yeah, Bulma was a 16 year old sex craved teen. Anyone who thinks she and Yamcha didn't have sex many times before they eventually broke up is kidding themselves. Just look at how much Bulma constantly puts herself out in the original Dragonball.
Exactly. So what's there to be ashamed about?
Yamcha took her virginity and had her for her prime (looks, sex, etc). Hell, they probably even had a few threesomes considering how kinky Bulma was

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:54 am

Amerigo wrote:
precita wrote:Yeah, Bulma was a 16 year old sex craved teen. Anyone who thinks she and Yamcha didn't have sex many times before they eventually broke up is kidding themselves. Just look at how much Bulma constantly puts herself out in the original Dragonball.
Exactly. So what's there to be ashamed about?
Yamcha took her virginity and had her for her prime (looks, sex, etc). Hell, they probably even had a few threesomes considering how kinky Bulma was
The problem is like tfs krillin said unlike vegeta you can prove it

Amerigo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Amerigo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:33 am

Dragonballgod19 wrote: The problem is like tfs krillin said unlike vegeta you can prove it
I don't need to prove that 2 people in a relationship that lasted for nearly 2 decades had sex.

That's common sense, anything else is pure delusion.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:44 am

Amerigo wrote:
Dragonballgod19 wrote: The problem is like tfs krillin said unlike vegeta you can prove it
I don't need to prove that 2 people in a relationship that lasted for nearly 2 decades had sex.

That's common sense, anything else is pure delusion.
It still doesn't change the fact that what they said was basically true.