"Sleeping for one year straight gets you all out of form, so this will be great!"

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

"Sleeping for one year straight gets you all out of form, so this will be great!"

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:23 pm

^ Nappa said that line right before he and Vegeta landed on Arlia. Now, I'm sure that this fact never even crossed Toriyama's mind, but it got me thinking, sleeping for one year straight would indeed reek havoc on a normal human's body. People who wake up from comas can barely move and require months of intense physical therapy before regaining control of their muscles, if they ever do at all. Nappa's comment seems to reflect this.

So again, I know there is no in-universe explanation for this because Toriyama never considered it, but let's just theorize here. Why are the saiyans able to sleep for such long periods of time with little to no repercussions on their body? Do their muscles work differently from humans? Is it because of ki? Do the space pods have some kind of high tech mechanisms that keep their muscles stimulated?

DanielSSJ

Re: "Sleeping for one year straight gets you all out of form, so this will be great!"

Post by DanielSSJ » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:59 pm

I'm willing to bet that the Attack Balls that they ride around in don't just put them into a coma for long distance journeys. Rather that they actually put them in suspended animation, actually freezing them or otherwise pausing most or all biological processes for the duration for their trip. While there might be some disorientation immediately after waking up, the actual muscular atrophy would be minimal at worst. It wouldn't make sense for Freeza's spaceships to allow for long distance journeys, but effectively cripple the rider for whatever mission they plan to take, after all.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

nickzambuto

Re: "Sleeping for one year straight gets you all out of form, so this will be great!"

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Do you think they age?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:34 pm

DanielSSJ wrote:I'm willing to bet that the Attack Balls that they ride around in don't just put them into a coma for long distance journeys. Rather that they actually put them in suspended animation, actually freezing them or otherwise pausing most or all biological processes for the duration for their trip. While there might be some disorientation immediately after waking up, the actual muscular atrophy would be minimal at worst. It wouldn't make sense for Freeza's spaceships to allow for long distance journeys, but effectively cripple the rider for whatever mission they plan to take, after all.
How does that explain Goku being able to still sense Ki in his pod and being able to teleport?

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:
DanielSSJ wrote:I'm willing to bet that the Attack Balls that they ride around in don't just put them into a coma for long distance journeys. Rather that they actually put them in suspended animation, actually freezing them or otherwise pausing most or all biological processes for the duration for their trip. While there might be some disorientation immediately after waking up, the actual muscular atrophy would be minimal at worst. It wouldn't make sense for Freeza's spaceships to allow for long distance journeys, but effectively cripple the rider for whatever mission they plan to take, after all.
How does that explain Goku being able to still sense Ki in his pod and being able to teleport?
Well, perhaps the Ginyu Tokusentai have specially modified, superior space pods? To provide a faster more comfortable travel for Freeza's elite.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:52 pm

While I'm no biologist, other mammals hibernate, and I don't think they suffer any severe disabilities due to it. To my knowledge, bears don't have to deal with muscular atrophy when they wake up.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:While I'm no biologist, other mammals hibernate, and I don't think they suffer any severe disabilities due to it. To my knowledge, bears don't have to deal with muscular atrophy when they wake up.
Bears do experience loss of skeletal muscle strength as well, but compared to humans they lose half as much strength for similar periods of bed rest..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:22 pm

I think it is safe to say that Saiyans not being human may provide the easiest answer.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Goku could've been awake on the final home run part to Earth. Fighters tend to wake up if they suddenly sense something so Freeza's ki could've made him wake up prematurely.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Goku could've been awake on the final home run part to Earth. Fighters tend to wake up if they suddenly sense something so Freeza's ki could've made him wake up prematurely.
That might not be true if the user is put into stasis, though I figure the user is probably woken up once they're within a certain range of the target planet.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:17 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:While I'm no biologist, other mammals hibernate, and I don't think they suffer any severe disabilities due to it. To my knowledge, bears don't have to deal with muscular atrophy when they wake up.
That's a good point. I wonder how that is?