So about "Super Saiyan Videl"...

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cheddarsword
Regular

So about "Super Saiyan Videl"...

Post by cheddarsword » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:14 pm

Was that whole debacle ever sorted out? I mean, sure, EVERYONE'S eyes turned yellow, but her hair turned yellow (slightly different from the normal super saiyan gold) and it didn't spike up. Was this a form of Super Saiyan?

I'm very interested in finding the answer to this.

Doctor.
Banned

Re: So about "Super Saiyan Videl"...

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:26 pm

It was literally just the glow of the auras coupled with bad animation.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:55 pm

It didn't happen in the movie version. It's just Super's shitty animation at the start and them wanting to do something special.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:34 am

Since that didn't happen in the movie (and there was no logical reason for it to happen), "Super Saiyan Videl" is another example of Toei messing around with the unnecessary retellings.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:11 am

I'll just chalk it up as a random little detail that doesn't really mean anything in the grand scheme of, well the entire franchise of Dragon Ball on a whole. It's like that Namekian Book of Legends that was mentioned, once, and never again.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:58 pm

It was just the aura from others. She isnt even a Saiyan so she cant go SSJ. It would like Krillin doing it.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:45 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:It was just the aura from others. She isnt even a Saiyan so she cant go SSJ. It would like Krillin doing it.
Super shaolin Krillin is too strong for Dragonball world
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:03 pm

She was actually the first canon female SSJ, ironically not even being a saiyan.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:25 pm

That doesn't make her an SSJ. She was just having SSJ energy flow through her as a result of being connected to the other SSJs and having a Saiyajin inside her.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:21 am

The imagery was obviously deliberate on Toei's part, but it symbolized Pan inside of her, it had nothing to do with Videl herself. And the in-universe explanation is that she was being shined by the other saiyans' glow. It's so simple and minor, why are people upset about this?

Is it possible that Dragon Ball fans will become upset at literally anything?

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 am

I don't get the issue either, I preferd the ritual in Super. From the way every one was standing to yes even Pan's energy flowing through Videl.

cheddarsword
Regular

Post by cheddarsword » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:04 pm

nickzambuto wrote:The imagery was obviously deliberate on Toei's part, but it symbolized Pan inside of her, it had nothing to do with Videl herself. And the in-universe explanation is that she was being shined by the other saiyans' glow. It's so simple and minor, why are people upset about this?

Is it possible that Dragon Ball fans will become upset at literally anything?
They're upset that the animation in super at the time wasn't so... super. And as a result, this confusion came about. I myself wasn't upset about anything. I was just seeking to clarify the situation for my own project.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Maybe since Pan was in utero, having Videl become gold was the artist's way of showing Pan's saiyan strength vicariously through Videl. I agree it's a little over the top and could even be considered sloppy, but since the dialog is very clear about why Videl's involved in the first place, I don't see a reason to fault Toei too much over it.

Alternatively, the explanation in my signature could be given some serious thought...

lancerman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by lancerman » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:38 pm

She's sharing her body with a Saiyan. So she was getting the benefits of it during a magical ritual. Not much to think about.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 am

Doctor. wrote:It was literally just the glow of the auras coupled with bad animation.
It was most certainly not the glow from the auras. After all, if we look at this image, there's not even an aura around anyone, yet her hair is distinctly yellow in color. Couple that with the scene near the end of the ritual where her hair is standing on end and of a light enough color that it appears red amidst the red light permeating the scene to changing to a black color only moments later, and it's clear there was a legitimate hair change.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Pan was turning Super Saiyan. Because Pan was inside Videl, Pan's Super Saiyan Power radiated out of her.

imho for about 5 minutes Videl was the strongest human not augmented in the entire series. Sure she was just a proxy, but I don't care.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:33 pm

FoolsGil wrote:Pan was turning Super Saiyan. Because Pan was inside Videl, Pan's Super Saiyan Power radiated out of her.

imho for about 5 minutes Videl was the strongest human not augmented in the entire series. Sure she was just a proxy, but I don't care.
Bulma just needs to inject Saiyan dna drug in humans already..
Temporary boosts humans can pull off for a little while now that none of the could master kaioken would be sweet
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:Pan was turning Super Saiyan. Because Pan was inside Videl, Pan's Super Saiyan Power radiated out of her.

Bulma just needs to inject Saiyan dna drug in humans already..
Temporary boosts humans can pull off for a little while now that none of the could master kaioken would be sweet
They are called "Human" Time Patrollers in DBO.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:45 pm

Goku told baby Pan she's gotta become a Super Saiyan too. I won't be the least bit surprised if she already can. :lol:

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:12 pm

imho for about 5 minutes Videl was the strongest human not augmented in the entire series.
...so you're saying Super Fetus Pan was already stronger than Tenshinhan or Krillin and Videl had that power in that moment?? Because I really don't think there's any way that Videl's regular power times the 50x Super Saiyan boost would come anywhere near surpassing those two.

(if that's the case Pan must have even more of that "gains power freakishly fast from doing basically nothing" thing than Goten and Trunks... or she inherited Gohan's power-unlocked-way-beyond-limits thing somehow and the Super Saiyan glow was just for show.)