Who do you think Vegeta considers to be a friend?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Who do you think Vegeta considers to be a friend?

Post by ABED » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:24 pm

I haven't seen Super but it would be nice development if he would explicitly acknowledge Goku and the others as his friends.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:47 pm

I think he considers his allies to be his friends but doesn't want to admit it.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Probably the whole Z-team, with him just tsundere about it
He did spend an enormous part of his life looking after only himself, and old habits die hard.

Bruma rabu
Regular

Post by Bruma rabu » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:54 pm

I think he considers Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, and Kuririn his friends and the others his comrads. I don't think he'll ever say it but if any of them ever said it he wouldn't deny it.
Bulma is awesome... but chi-chi is best waifu :wink:

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:34 pm

"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

IntoTheFire
Beyond Newbie

Post by IntoTheFire » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:09 pm

I don't think there is anyone Vegeta considers his friend. Whether he is friends with someone regardless is another matter. Goku is the only that comes to mind. Yes, they are rivals but they've spent so much time together at this point I think they would have a very strange friendship.
As for the others I can't think of anyone. He tolerates them and is part of the gang but friend is too strong of a word.
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Benedetto12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Benedetto12 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:32 pm

Good question

Obvioulsy Goku, their rivalry grew to be a friendly rivalry.

I assume Gohan, Goten, Chi Chi, Piccolo and Krillin are his friends, as they spent a lot of time together.

On the other hand i don´t think he considers Yamcha, Tien, 18, Roshi and the rest to be his friends as he rarely interacts with them.

There some weird cases trough, with Future Trunks he seems to have a friend kind of relationship, not a father-son one, so he may consider him a friend more than a son, also there is Beerus and Whis, he seems to feel really confortable with them.

He may have thinked of Nappa or Raditz as friends at some point also

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:29 am

Benedetto12 wrote: also there is Beerus and Whis, he seems to feel really confortable with them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhRYZVJcE5Q totally XD

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:42 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I think he considers his allies to be his friends but doesn't want to admit it.
Yeah this, I think he likes them far more than he lets on especially Goku. He'd be lost without Goku.

I also think he thinks quite highly of Gohan, to the point he'd probably give his life to save him.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:03 pm

At the end of the Buu saga and even the EoZ I'd say Vegeta very much considers Goku his friend. He's mellowed out a lot since admitting Goku is better and while I'm sure he still tries to keep up with him he's not being a petty rival about it. Super pretty much completely scraps this and just does whatever the hell they want with Vegeta, which I will say that his character in Super hasn't been that bad at all for the large majority (although in this particular arc he's a pretty weak character) but I still would have preferred the end of Buu/EoZ approach instead of this regression of Vegeta's character like all that stuff with Kid Buu and the things he said never happened.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Asura wrote:At the end of the Buu saga and even the EoZ I'd say Vegeta very much considers Goku his friend. He's mellowed out a lot since admitting Goku is better and while I'm sure he still tries to keep up with him he's not being a petty rival about it. Super pretty much completely scraps this and just does whatever the hell they want with Vegeta, which I will say that his character in Super hasn't been that bad at all for the large majority (although in this particular arc he's a pretty weak character) but I still would have preferred the end of Buu/EoZ approach instead of this regression of Vegeta's character like all that stuff with Kid Buu and the things he said never happened.
To play devil's advocate, in the Kanzenban Ending Vegeta says this: “Sooner or later, Kakarrot, I will show you defeat… Hmph!” So while he admitted that Goku was "Number 1", there was still that underlying rivalry feeling from Vegeta that he still wanted to become as strong as Goku and eventually defeat him.

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:49 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Asura wrote:At the end of the Buu saga and even the EoZ I'd say Vegeta very much considers Goku his friend. He's mellowed out a lot since admitting Goku is better and while I'm sure he still tries to keep up with him he's not being a petty rival about it. Super pretty much completely scraps this and just does whatever the hell they want with Vegeta, which I will say that his character in Super hasn't been that bad at all for the large majority (although in this particular arc he's a pretty weak character) but I still would have preferred the end of Buu/EoZ approach instead of this regression of Vegeta's character like all that stuff with Kid Buu and the things he said never happened.
To play devil's advocate, in the Kanzenban Ending Vegeta says this: “Sooner or later, Kakarrot, I will show you defeat… Hmph!” So while he admitted that Goku was "Number 1", there was still that underlying rivalry feeling from Vegeta that he still wanted to become as strong as Goku and eventually defeat him.
Yeah, Vegeta will always have that rivalry with Goku no matter what and try to keep up with him, but he already admitted to himself that Goku will always be #1 and judging by how we saw him by the EoZ he became more of a familyman and not someone who is just obsessed 24/7 with trying to surpass Goku. It's still one of his priorities to keep up with him and surpass him but, just not like, the only priority he has. In Super on the other hand he's right back to "fuck everything else I wanna become stronger than Kakarot because I AM VEGETA-SAMA!" and while none of it is executed poorly (except perhaps in this arc) I just don't think his personality makes sense with what we saw of him at the end of the Buu saga and EoZ. He should ofc always be trying to keep up with Goku, but the whole I AM VEGETA-SAMA I AM THE GREATEST thing is stupid and just contradicts all the character development he got in Z.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:22 pm

Beerus...

Okay, not really.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Asura wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Yeah, Vegeta will always have that rivalry with Goku no matter what and try to keep up with him, but he already admitted to himself that Goku will always be #1 and judging by how we saw him by the EoZ he became more of a familyman and not someone who is just obsessed 24/7 with trying to surpass Goku. It's still one of his priorities to keep up with him and surpass him but, just not like, the only priority he has. In Super on the other hand he's right back to "fuck everything else I wanna become stronger than Kakarot because I AM VEGETA-SAMA!" and while none of it is executed poorly (except perhaps in this arc) I just don't think his personality makes sense with what we saw of him at the end of the Buu saga and EoZ. He should ofc always be trying to keep up with Goku, but the whole I AM VEGETA-SAMA I AM THE GREATEST thing is stupid and just contradicts all the character development he got in Z.
Vegeta certainly wants to keep up with Goku but Vegeta's "I AM VEGETA-SAMA I AM THE GREATEST" really only kicked in in this arc. Prior to that, he does the occasional boast like he would but never really carried a "I'm better than everyone else" attitude. It was more of a "I'm incredibly strong" tone. Which is fine within his character.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:45 pm

If Vegeta didn't feel even mild fondness for the likes of Nappa who presumably raised him after the little prince became an orphan, I'm not sure he's entirely capable of having 'friends' just people who annoy him less than others.

He does respect power though. All of those he 'semi likes' are people who have proven themselves before him; Goku is his entire goal to surpass, Gohan defeated Cell and Piccolo showed up the Super Saiyans at one point by being the strongest person on the planet. As for Krillin whom many have suggested as well...well he did put a bloody great big hole through him on Namek...
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:59 pm

Goku, his family, Gohan and, as of the latest manga chapters, (future) Mai as well (or at least, he shows he cares for her).

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:19 pm

A lot of people said Gohan but I don't really see that at all. When is it ever implied that they're friends? Vegeta seems to have a lot of respect for Gohan and wants to see him get strong again but there was never anything to imply they're friends. I also see a lot of people say that he respects Krillin, and while that's not too far fetched given the ballsy shit he did when he fought him on Earth and what he did on Namek, I don't see any proof of his respect for Krillin in the show/manga for Z or Super.

Roronoa-pt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roronoa-pt » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:27 am

Kakarotto, Future Trunks, Bulma, Trunks & Bra.

He doesn't care about Gohan but respects him due to his enormous fighting potential.
He uses to respect Piccolo but in the recent events ( mainly in the U6 tournament ), we see that's not the case anymore, Vegeta respects strenght and Piccolo is nowhere near Vegeta's level.
He doesn't care about Kuririn at all, he sees him as the "senzu guy".

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:40 am

Asura wrote: I also see a lot of people say that he respects Krillin, and while that's not too far fetched given the ballsy shit he did when he fought him on Earth and what he did on Namek, I don't see any proof of his respect for Krillin in the show/manga for Z or Super.
The only examples I can recall in Super was Vegeta saving Krillin in RoF by deflecting the beam to Sorbet, but honestly that could have been for Goku's sake or to annoy Frieza.

Z he didn't kill 18 upon Krillin's request after Cell spat her out. Guess that one could count?
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:40 am

Does Vegeta even care about having friends? He is a sociopath after all. This is the same guy who killed Nappa (who practically raised him) like nothing.