Is Freeza The Main Antagonist Of DB?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Is Freeza The Main Antagonist Of DB?

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:07 am

ABED wrote:If Freeza rebuilds his empire, that's returning the story to a status quo. This is why I like stories to conclude, so they aren't constantly retreading things and tearing things apart to put them together again.
Technically it did end with the manga, everything in Super, GT, etc. can be looked at as just a bonus. If they mess up like GT, you can just ignoar it, if things get too convoluted like with transformations, bringing characters back, etc. it didn't happen in the manga so who cares.

I know it's all DB so in a way the new things did happen but the manga is and always will be the heart and soul of the franchise and the one thing that will always count.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:30 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:If Freeza rebuilds his empire, that's returning the story to a status quo. This is why I like stories to conclude, so they aren't constantly retreading things and tearing things apart to put them together again.
Technically it did end with the manga, everything in Super, GT, etc. can be looked at as just a bonus. If they mess up like GT, you can just ignoar it, if things get too convoluted like with transformations, bringing characters back, etc. it didn't happen in the manga so who cares.

I know it's all DB so in a way the new things did happen but the manga is and always will be the heart and soul of the franchise and the one thing that will always count.
When did it return to the status quo?

I agree more or less with what Jinzoningen MULE wrote.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 am

ABED wrote:When did it return to the status quo?
You said you liked stories to end, that's what I meant by it did with the end of the manga. Everything afterwards is more or less bonus content to the manga.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:38 am

sintzu wrote:
ABED wrote:When did it return to the status quo?
You said you liked stories to end, that's what I meant by it did with the end of the manga. Everything afterwards is more or less bonus content to the manga.
No, I mean a definitive end, as in no continuations, no revivals.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:49 am

ABED wrote:I mean a definitive end, as in no continuations, no revivals.
DB during the manga's run was way to big for them to just call it a day, same thing with Naruto now. One Piece will also continue beyond the manga if it's as big as it is now when the manga ends.

I personally don't mind continuations and revivals as long as the main product is allowed to end. DB and Naruto have ended so no matter what comes after can't hurt an already completed product, it'll either improve it (BOG & Boruto movies) or just leave them the same (GT).

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:52 am

Except that when Toriyama wanted to end it, he ended it. A revival/continuation is still a part of the main product and in most cases, the continuations haven't been for the better. I'm not simply talking about the overall story. I'm including characters as well. Sometimes it is best to give their stories a conclusion even though they are popular.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Bullza wrote:Well if it's not Frieza then who else is even a contender?

I don't know if he counts as the overall main antagonist but if there's anyone who does fit that role it can only be Frieza.
Basically yes. Cell hasn't returned yet, while Boo, Piccolo, and Vegeta all became good. Freeza is the most recognizable antagonist, the mind behind the Saiyajin genocide, and his motive is so strong that he's returned from the dead to achieve it. In short, though I don't think Akira Toriyama would say DB has a main antagonist, Freeza fits the bill in more ways than anybody else does.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm

These two make the main antagonist of DB:

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:21 pm

Frieza he was revived twice after all and he became the overarching villain now.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Dragonball would have to die like Sailor Moon and retcon a main antagonist in.

Some guy told Frieza to kill the saiayns, have Gero the tech ro build androids and then told Babidi to release Buu on Earth ect.

Frieza is arguably the main antagonist up through he saga as he sets the main events of the story up and then once we hit DBZ everything is being done in his honor. Even Cell is like Frieza's successor in a way.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:42 pm

Snakeway Skywalker wrote:These two make the main antagonist of DB:
Yet the gone for good.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Fri May 04, 2018 7:46 pm

Frieza was the main villain two times and has appeared in the tournament of power so yeah he is the main antagonist.Also He is revived at the end dude.