Vegeta's tail.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hyzerfrost

Vegeta's tail.

Post by Hyzerfrost » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:07 pm

So, uh here's a thing I was thinking about, a lot of my friends got to thinking over this. If indeed tails do exist still, and Toriyama is going to have a real explanation for why Vegeta, Goku, Gohan etc don't have them I have a few ideas for an over theory.
So point one is why Vegeta and Goku don't have them. A reasonable explanation may be they don't grow back past a certain age, a friend of mine called it "Teeth tails" Being kids it may grow back once or twice, but after that nothing more. Almost like shark teeth.
The second point is that they trim them down ( at least everyone besides Vegeta should do this to avoid going ape shit ), and this is where I want to really press on. Let's say they grow back time and time again like a lizards tail, or like shark teeth. They grow back over and over. But let's dive a bit deeper into this. I can see why Chi-chi would want Goten, and Gohan's tail gone, seeing as she want's her kids leading normal lives. But then it comes down to Vegeta and Trunks whom I want to touch on. Since Goku lost his tail a lot.. Let's just say it doesn't grow back( Mainly because I don't have a good enough reason for him to not keep it besides Oozaru.) What if the reason Vegeta doesn't let his tail grow back, is so he can be as strong, or surpass Goku without the help of it. And he refuses to let Trunks have his tail because of, well, pride or something.
I know this isn't a super well thought out theory, but I really wanna press that idea, of Vegeta not letting it grow back to surpass Goku while playing on even terms. Maybe I'm just stupid and this theory is stupid, but hey, putting my neck out here for your feedback. Tell me what you guys think!

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Re: Vegeta's tail.

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 pm

A theory regarding the tails I like is that they hinder the Saiyans from going Super Saiyan, long ago the Saiyans evolved into having tails, since Oozaru would be a lot better for planet conquering and so losing the tail gives the Saiyan the ability to got Super Saiyan, this explains why they all could go SS willy nilly post Freeza arc and Vegeta and Goku when they were breeding with their respective partners had the de-evolved non Tail gene's now and so Trunks and Goten had the ability to go SS and with them being born with the de-evolved tail-less gene's from the start means they got to SS faster as opposed to Goku/Gohan/Vegeta whom were all born with the tail gene.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Re: Vegeta's tail.

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:07 am

In an interview that Toriyama did for the North American release of Shonen Jump, he basically indicated that Saiyan tails stop growing back if a Saiyan is of X level of strength by the time they lose theirs; that once they reach this level of power, their bodies see the tail as an unnecessary and useless appendage, and simply won't grow it back if it gets removed. Goku had his permanently removed by Kami prior to reaching this threshold, but Vegeta and Gohan both eventually reached that level of power during/after they lost their tails last to where it just never could grow again.

If it were a matter of age, then Gohan would have been well capable of growing his even up through the Cell arc, given that Goku, by the last time he grew his, was in his early teens, while Gohan was barely 10.

From a different question in that same interview, Toriyama revealed that Goten and Trunks, in turn, were born without them, as the tail is a genetically recessive trait, and, as hybrids, it just is rare for it to express itself. Gohan having a tail was an exception to how it works with hybrids, not the standard.