Have people come to terms with Freeza's huge power increase from Namek?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

precita
Banned

Re: Have people come to terms with Freeza's huge power increase from Namek?

Post by precita » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 am

Roshi hasn't gone that much stronger though. When all he does is take out weak Freeza henchmen and a parrot, there's no way to gauge how much stronger than he became. I'd personally put Roshi on the level of Radditz now at best.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:23 am

precita wrote:Roshi hasn't gone that much stronger though. When all he does is take out weak Freeza henchmen and a parrot, there's no way to gauge how much stronger than he became. I'd personally put Roshi on the level of Radditz now at best.
Roshi is powerful enough to defeat Tenshinhan, in the Namek arc Ten split into two halves could evenly fight Burter & Jeice who were both 40,000. Roshi is 80,000+, stronger than Oozaru Nappa.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:17 am

theherodjl wrote:
precita wrote:Roshi hasn't gone that much stronger though. When all he does is take out weak Freeza henchmen and a parrot, there's no way to gauge how much stronger than he became. I'd personally put Roshi on the level of Radditz now at best.
Roshi is powerful enough to defeat Tenshinhan, in the Namek arc Ten split into two halves could evenly fight Burter & Jeice who were both 40,000. Roshi is 80,000+, stronger than Oozaru Nappa.
Tien fighting Burter and Jeice is filler. And bad filler at that with how inconsistent it is.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:53 am

Doctor. wrote:No, because the problem isn't the huge power boost. The problem is the ridiculously low timeframe without any insight on what kind of training he did. It's bad writing. People can tolerate it now that it has been two years, but they will still continue to call it out for being a great example of how modern Dragon Ball does not care to add substance to its story and prefers to jump straight away to the end result rather than gradually build it up.
It happened all the time in DB, Vegeta showed up on day with SS, Trunks showed up with SS randomly too, Goku showed up with SS2 and 3 in the Buu arc without any insight in to what training he did, and we don't even know what timeframe he got it in other than sometime within the 7 years.

Let's not act this is exclusive to modern DB, this half ass explaining as been happening forever. At least we know Freeza chose gold colour we still don't know why the original SS turns a Saiyan's hair spikey and yellow and changes eyes green...

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Doctor. wrote:No, because the problem isn't the huge power boost. The problem is the ridiculously low timeframe without any insight on what kind of training he did. It's bad writing. People can tolerate it now that it has been two years, but they will still continue to call it out for being a great example of how modern Dragon Ball does not care to add substance to its story and prefers to jump straight away to the end result rather than gradually build it up.
It happened all the time in DB, Vegeta showed up on day with SS, Trunks showed up with SS randomly too, Goku showed up with SS2 and 3 in the Buu arc without any insight in to what training he did, and we don't even know what timeframe he got it in other than sometime within the 7 years.

Let's not act this is exclusive to modern DB, this half ass explaining as been happening forever. At least we know Freeza chose gold colour we still don't know why the original SS turns a Saiyan's hair spikey and yellow and changes eyes green...
To be fair, while I agree that super saiyan 3 came out of nowhere, we do get some insight on Goku's training in the afterlife so it's less half-assed than Freeza's training.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
And it's not just having no idea about Freeza's training, it's how short it was. I agree with Doctor. that fans in general appear to tolerate his power increase nowadays but the way it happened is (and will probably still be) nonsense.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by MR.Mark » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:57 pm

So because there's a gag scene in the Buu arc with Goku scaring one of the Kaios with ssj weight training, that makes ssj3 more valid than Freeza's training?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Rubens wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

To be fair, while I agree that super saiyan 3 came out of nowhere, we do get some insight on Goku's training in the afterlife so it's less half-assed than Freeza's training.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
And it's not just having no idea about Freeza's training, it's how short it was. I agree with Doctor. that fans in general appear to tolerate his power increase nowadays but the way it happened is (and will probably still be) nonsense.
Goku's entire life before facing Freeza on Namek was him training and pushing himself before the SS transformation he did everything and still couldn't beat Freeza. Don't forget the near death boost that Saiyans also get. Freeza hadn't trained a day in his life, so it's perfectly logical in reason that once he does that his gains are going to be massive.

I don't see how it's nonesense at all.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku's entire life before facing Freeza on Namek was him training and pushing himself before the SS transformation he did everything and still couldn't beat Freeza. Don't forget the near death boost that Saiyans also get. Freeza hadn't trained a day in his life, so it's perfectly logical in reason that once he does that his gains are going to be massive.

I understand your point of view and it does make sense for Freeza to get this strong, when he's already so powerful to begin with. My problem stands on the 4 months thing. If he knew he could get that strong that fast, with didn't he train before coming to Earth (to get killed by Trunks)? Apparently a couple weeks would have sufficed. Although I agree that Freeza was possibly too arrogant to think he could beat Goku anyway and whatnot. I think the issue comes from the fact that we (the fans) got used to see our heroes progressively train for years to surpass increasingly stronger enemies, that seeing an old enemy easily overcoming those thresholds so quickly feels preposterous.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Rubens wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku's entire life before facing Freeza on Namek was him training and pushing himself before the SS transformation he did everything and still couldn't beat Freeza. Don't forget the near death boost that Saiyans also get. Freeza hadn't trained a day in his life, so it's perfectly logical in reason that once he does that his gains are going to be massive.

I understand your point of view and it does make sense for Freeza to get this strong, when he's already so powerful to begin with. My problem stands on the 4 months thing. If he knew he could get that strong that fast, with didn't he train before coming to Earth (to get killed by Trunks)? Apparently a couple weeks would have sufficed. Although I agree that Freeza was possibly too arrogant to think he could beat Goku anyway and whatnot. I think the issue comes from the fact that we (the fans) got used to see our heroes progressively train for years to surpass increasingly stronger enemies, that seeing an old enemy easily overcoming those thresholds so quickly feels preposterous.
I've made this point a millions time, but I'll say it again: Gains made in training aren't universal in Dragon Ball.

Just because Character A became X times stronger through Y training doesn't mean the same thing will happen to Character B or Character C. That being said, "potential" is such a crapshoot in Dragon Ball. It's a plot device that can be handed to anyone at any given time to suit the circumstances of the narrative. It's a literal roulette wheel when it comes to how much dormant power a certain character can tap into through specific circumstances. If the plot needs a character to be relevant, their strength will bloat like nothing before it.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:38 pm

theherodjl wrote:
Roshi is powerful enough to defeat Tenshinhan.
Roshi didn't defeat Tenshinhan, he shocked him with one attack. That's like saying Kid Trunks beat Fat Buu because he kicked him away from his father in the Buu arc unexpectedly and Buu went flying.

So now one attack means you're all of a sudden stronger than another character?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:55 pm

His increase always made sense to me..
It's not like he was actually able to even use that increased power either..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:49 pm

Nope, no matter how many years, it's still terrible writing.
Show, don't tell.
Toriyama always does this bullshit, I mean it's kinda understandable in the manga, because it's limited as having to show all this stuff would increase the chapter count by a lot, but the anime could have added to it and done more with it.
It's the right medium for it after all, but they just wanted to rush through, so they could get to the Champa Arc, sigh. Even One-Punch Man explained how the titular character got his strength and showed it FFS! Unless controlling his power in his weakest form just enough to not kill Tagoma each and every day was the training he did to get stronger?

DB▪Magnum-Expert
Beyond Newbie

Post by DB▪Magnum-Expert » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:07 am

It's acceptable
People I'm always keen to Debate with for the sole purpose of increasing experience and joy: