What color is Vegeta's hair?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

What color is Vegeta's hair?

Post by Asura » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Is it brown or is it black? This is one of the most inconsistent things I've noticed and it also applies to Vegetto as well. What is their true hair color? It seems like it's always changing.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Re: What color is Vegeta's hair?

Post by LowRyder2005 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:18 am

The safest answer to me is that it's indeed supposed to be a very dark brown, but the shading gets lost in almost every iteration of the character.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:19 am

I've always seen Vegito's hair drawn with brown highlights, which he certainly didn't get from Goku. I'd assume Vegeta's hair is supposed to be dark brown based on that and on King Vegeta having brown hair in BoG. Even though in that same scene Vegeta's hair is shaded black. :crazy:

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:02 am

Considering how Vegetto gets brown hair and Vegeta had reddish brown hair effect in a different planet, it's safe to say it's very dark brown, almost black, but Vegetto enhances the color
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Don't all saiyans have black hair?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Don't all saiyans have black hair?
Vegeta's looks black most of the time but in SS4 and with Vegito, you can see elements of brown there which can only really come from Vegeta.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:07 pm

Asura wrote:Is it brown or is it black? This is one of the most inconsistent things I've noticed and it also applies to Vegetto as well. What is their true hair color? It seems like it's always changing.
In the manga it's black, and in the Z anime it's always dark brown (except for when it's red in the incorrectly colored outfit episodes, and Kai "corrects" that to pure black in those scenes). The only time it looks black in the anime is when you're looking at FUNimation's masters with their crushed blacks. The Dragon Boxes and both Kais have his hair in the proper cel brown.

The "all Saiyans have black hair" isn't a real problem in the anime, since Radditz has very dark blue hair, so it's safe to assume that Vegeta means that all Saiyans have a very dark hair color as opposed to the bright purple hair that Trunks has. In the manga, he literally means black though.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Vegeta's hair in the main anime has always been black, bar that first scene with Vegeta/Nappa in the early Saiyan saga when they were colored wrong.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:24 pm

nickzambuto wrote:Don't all saiyans have black hair?
Considering Raditz has this nice shade of dark blue hair, and Vegeta has dark brown hair, I think it's meant to be more like, it's all dark shades of colors.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Asura

Post by Asura » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:28 pm

precita wrote:Vegeta's hair in the main anime has always been black, bar that first scene with Vegeta/Nappa in the early Saiyan saga when they were colored wrong.
But then how did Vegetto emerge with brown hair? It didn't come from Goku, so it had to have come from Vegeta. In GT it seems his hair is both black and brown at times. Even in Super his hair sometimes appears brown as seen here: http://www.junkiemonkeys.com/wp-content ... .07-PM.png

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm pretty sure it's black, except for that first scene. Same with all other Saiyajins but Trunks. I should probably keep in mind that I'm colourblind and apparently I "miss a lot of colours" but really, is there more than one shade of black?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 pm

On the original animation cels, Vegeta's hair was always coloured a very dark brown, just off-black (not counting his early filler appearance with the bright reddish-brown hair). This is basically impossible to see in FUNimation's releases of the show due to their practice of cranking the contrast on the footage. It's also difficult to see, but still visible, in the Dragon Box. It's pretty easy to make out in Kai, however.

I've always considered that a stylistic choice. As previously mentioned, Raditz hair was treated similarly, being coloured a very dark blue on the cels. I think Vegeta's statement of "all Saiyans have black hair" is meant to be 100% true, even in the anime. The brown and blue hues of Vegeta and Raditz respectively were just a bit of artistic license/flair/what have you.

DanielSSJ

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:35 am

Vegeta's hair is unquestionably black in the manga and in most of the anime, though occasionally he is drawn with dark brown highlights. This shows through particularly when he and Goku fuse and become Vegetto, or when he went Super Saiyan 4 in Dragon Ball GT. I'm not sure if the practice started because of Vegeta's original color palette in the anime, but it's certainly interesting.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:41 pm

All Saiyans have black hair. For some reason, Toei decided to give King Vegeta and Vegetto brown hair when Toriyama told them years ago that Saiyans had black hair. That's why his hair was changed in the anime.