So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mallaard

Re: So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Post by mallaard » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:09 pm

I had a theory about this. If I'm remembering the first Broli movie correctly, his father had been actively suppressing Broli's full potential pretty much his whole life using some sort of power-suppressing collar, and Broli had to break that off to go into his berserker form. Kale on the other hand has been actively training under Caulifla for who knows how long. I figure that even if Kale and Broli are meant to be similar characters (born with a 10,000 power level or whatever), the big difference is that Broli is a completely untrained, in fact heavily repressed, version, while Kale is a trained, exercised version. If the leap in power between one and the other seems unrealistic, just remember how much stronger Frieza got from just a few months of training. That's my idea for an in-universe explanation anyway.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:20 pm

The short answer is Broly was actually better written and not majorly overpowered. Broly was visibly fit and seemed rather strong even in his base form. As someone pointed out Gohan fought Broly one on one in the second movie and Broly didn't completely destroy him, further in the third movie Goten/ Trunks/18 and even Krillin gave him trouble.

The fact is Broly's relative power level has actually declined relative to the other characters strength growing. Whatever Brolys power level is, it's pretty consistent between the 3 movies and apparently not that much stronger than a modern SSJ or android. So likely around Cell levels.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:31 pm

Broli's body is filled with so much power that it expands like a balloon. What happens to a balloon when a precise needle pricks it? It pops. This is why he was so easily defeated after only one attack. Kale has yet to display such a weakness. With Kale, her body must be weakened from consistent attacks, as well as her own overflowing power. Her emotions of love and jealousy ultimately come from a more positive emotion than Broli's pure hate. Subjects that fear their ruler are much quicker to turn on subjects who love their ruler, after all. As a result, her power is also controllable when her mind is at ease. Therefore, Kale is stronger.

There, pulled that right out of my dirty ass.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm

DHM211 wrote:Broly was written at a point when SSJ was the strongest level Goku could reach, Kale is written at a point where we have numerous forms past SSJ.
This. They can't make Broly a SSJB level when Goku was only a SSJ1... common sense pls. Btw even if he is non-canon he got a "God" form now so he can easily deal with the SSJB levels. It'd be the same if they created Kale and Caulifla in 1990s and Goku and Broly in 2017, Goku and Broly should be as strong as the main character obviously. This is how things work in Dragon Ball (same goes for Freezer, Cell, Buu, etc.. they were stronger than Goku but now they are all weak without power up)
The fact is Broly's relative power level has actually declined relative to the other characters strength growing. Whatever Brolys power level is, it's pretty consistent between the 3 movies and apparently not that much stronger than a modern SSJ or android. So likely around Cell levels.
Broly second coming is as strong as Majin Vegeta or stronger, in the first movie he should be at the same level as Perfect Cell or a little bit stronger because he tanked a Kamehameha and didn't get hurt at all, but you should also know that the movies have different power levels because in the second coming Gohan says that broly is still monstrous so I believe SSJ1 Broly should have the same power level as LSSJ Broly in the first movie Image and he then says that he powered up considerably since back then Image but in the Manga iirc Vegeta says Gohan is weaker... so we can't really know what his real power level is in the movie, we just know that Broly is much stronger than a SSJ1 in the first movie and stronger than a SSJ2 in the second movie, and in the third movie he should have the same power level because its just a clone so maybe that's why he struggles a little bit vs Trunks and Goten (even though he is still stronger).

But this is just what I think, I'm not saying I know the truth.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu