So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gog
I Live Here

Re: So why was movie Broly so weak compared to Kale's form?

Post by Gog » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm

precita wrote:Movie Broly seemed to be around SSJ2 level in all his appearances. Kale in Super was able to tank a Super Saiyan Blue Kamehameha wave with no scratches.

That means Broly is a joke compared to Kale. Oh well, discuss.
Because Movie Villains are made to scale around the strength of the heroes themselves, its why they consistently get stronger with each movie. Kale was made during Dragon Ball Super where she needs to be as strong, or stronger in this case than the main protagonist.

Dragonballgod19
Banned

Post by Dragonballgod19 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:38 pm

RichardKing2 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:Broly was written at a point when SSJ was the strongest level Goku could reach, Kale is written at a point where we have numerous forms past SSJ.
Dragonballgod19 wrote:That movie came out years ago are you serious!

Best answers in this thread.Should be obvious.
Exactly

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Do we even know how strong Broly is? Didn't they always use cheat codes to beat him in the movies?
Retired.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:54 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Do we even know how strong Broly is? Didn't they always use cheat codes to beat him in the movies?
Yep. First Goku absorbed everyone's energy and blew him up, then the Family Kamehameha with Maybe Ghost Goku shot him into the sun, then Booger Broly was killed by seawater.

Scouter Battle Taikan Kamehameha and a V-jump ad for Budokai 3 both put him at a power level of 1,400,000,000. I find those numbers more than a little questionable since the former shows him being almost as strong as Super Saiyan 4 Goku and the latter over half as strong as Gogeta. My impression is that he probably fits somewhere in the Super Saiyan 2 Kid Gohan/Super Perfect Cell range.

Akyon
Regular

Post by Akyon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:28 am

Why is super saiyan Goten so weak compared to super Saiyan Goku?

Just having the same form doesn't mean the same power. Super Saiyan forms strengths vary wildly.
Favourite User quote:
Vice wrote:"Look at all these characters getting some shine in the buildup for the tournament of power, maybe we'll get to see some other characters do some stuff instead of the same old shit."
1. Goku (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitor & Vegeta (Universe 7) has eliminated 6 competitors

"Fuck."

JulianStyles
Banned

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:45 pm

Plot! Lol Broly was introduced stronger than anything at that time. Kale is introduced as stronger than almost everyone this time.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:29 am

The Kamehameha to the face was done this last episode as a tribute to Broli. I guess I don't see that bit of theatrics as enough reason to consider her any weaker or stronger than her movie counterpart.

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:19 pm

Because each movie villain was as strong as he needed to be at the given point of the series the movie came out. If the Broly movie came out after the Freeza saga he'd be a bit stronger than Freeza in his LSSJ form, if Broly was the last movie villain he's be stronger than Buu.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Because despite looking alike, it's not the same character and, until it's stated otherwise, Kales form and Broly's form is not the same thing. Being a reference to Broly doesn't make Kale, Broly.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Despite writing about both of these extensively I have no comment on this because I cannot even begin to imagine what Toeis purpose for including the absolute closest non Broly they could make, make a million homages, and for what purpose? It wasn't Broly? It doesn't seem like it would make anyone happy other than to have another figure and form to sell.... oh wait I think I answered my own question.

In universe we don't even know Kales form actually is...
Out of universe they made her super strong so that 5 year old boys could go wow that's cool! And sell a ton of crap in addition to the load of Broly stuff they already sell.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:03 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:Not ONCE in any of the movies did Broly sustain ANY damage whatsoever until some bullshit deux ex occured at the very end of them.
Broly took a pretty good pounding in Second Coming. By the end of it he has about as much visual battle damage as Gohan, Videl and the kids. When he started he just had the scorch mark in the center of his chest.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:14 am

Is this really a question?

Obviously new character's strength will have to be comparable with the main cast at that point.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:02 pm

That's the same thing of asking why Buu makes Freeza look ridiculous. The other guys have to keep up with the main cast. Broly being FPSSJ to low SSJ2 tier was a big deal at time, but the new standard is guys who can flinger click Vegetto.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:17 pm

Because if they made Broly back then as strong as Kale is now, he would never have been defeated, and if they made Kale now as weak as Broly was back then, she would be useless.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:07 am

Universe 6 Saiyans are probably a lot stronger than normal Saiyans. I think Kale's SSj Berserk form is way above SSj3 in terms of power and she would beat any form of Broli in one punch.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:28 am

If you're not looking to have an in-universe conversation, please take your comments to their respective general/out-of-universe sections. Obviously everyone here is well aware that Kale was created decades after Broli was; this was never in question from the start. It's important to pay attention to the threads you are in and where they are located before commenting.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Well, from an in-universe standpoint, the Universe 6 Saiyans just have a lot going for them in general.

They evolved to not need tails anymore, a trait that only manifested in the strongest of the Universe 7 Saiyans long after they far surpassed their initial common power level. As well, since they're much less vicious and asshole-ish, they cooperate more and probably aren't dying in battle that often, if at all. Thus, they survive their battles and get stronger from doing so. This cooperative and kindhearted nature of the Universe 6 Saiyans also means they can train together and make greater gains, something the Universe 7 Saiyans can attest to as a very good method for getting stronger.

Basically, "No tails" + "Not assholes" = "Live longer, get stronger"

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:31 pm

VegettoEX wrote:If you're not looking to have an in-universe conversation, please take your comments to their respective general/out-of-universe sections. Obviously everyone here is well aware that Kale was created decades after Broli was; this was never in question from the start. It's important to pay attention to the threads you are in and where they are located before commenting.
Well in my view you can't really compare Kale and Broly from an "in-universe" perspective, since they come from completely different continuities. Broly doesn't exist in the same canon that Kale does.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:16 pm

Again, that's an out-of-universe perspective and explanation.

Plenty of other folks have been able to keep their explanation and theories using in-universe information, whether connecting or not connecting the different continuities. See the response directly above yours, for example.

Please keep your contributions thoughtful and on-topic here and elsewhere throughout the forum.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AloversGaming
Beyond Newbie

Post by AloversGaming » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Do we even know how strong Broly is? Didn't they always use cheat codes to beat him in the movies?
Stronger than full powered SSJ Goku during the Cell Games arc, weaker than that Goku when giving energy by his half dead friends.

In the second movie he beats Gohan around, but isn't able to get the job done. Some say Gohan is SSJ1, some say SSJ2, either way Broly couldn't do the job.

Giving those two films I place him slightly above Cell before he blew up on King Kai's planet, and a Hell of a lot lower than SSJ2 Gohan and Cell upon his return to Earth.