Does Ssj3 really take a lot of stamina/energy?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Does Ssj3 really take a lot of stamina/energy?

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:03 pm

I watched all the scenes with Ssj3 and it doesn't drain energy as bad as fans claim it to be.

Ssj3 Gotenks fought Super Buu for quite some time and the form had no energy drain on him. He would have stayed in the form longer if the fusion didn't defuse.

Ssj3 Goku vs Kid Buu

Now I believe this is where thever energy drain thing started.

Ssj3 Goku (suppressed) was fighting Kid Buu with everything he had of course he is going to be energy drained plus on top of that he took damage.
It's just like with any other ssj form.

I'd like to see your opinions though.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Does Ssj3 really take a lot of stamina/energy?

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Gotenks losses almost all of his fusion time just by turning it on, that's a pretty big knock against it and Goku suffers an actual burn out from using it.

I can't name another instance where that happens to him. The anime also pads things out, even Kai whereas the manga is a lot faster.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:09 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Gotenks losses almost all of his fusion time just by turning it on, that's a pretty big knock against it and Goku suffers an actual burn out from using it.

I can't name another instance where that happens to him. The anime also pads things out, even Kai whereas the manga is a lot faster.
Goku's 24hours also get wasted instantly when he transforms and Z has a filler scene with him transforming for Goten and Trunks, only to almost pass out from exhaustion.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:Gotenks losses almost all of his fusion time just by turning it on, that's a pretty big knock against it and Goku suffers an actual burn out from using it.

Goku's 24hours also get wasted instantly when he transforms and Z has a filler scene with him transforming for Goten and Trunks, only to almost pass out from exhaustion.
You know, this has always crossed my mind. Was the amount of time that Goku had left on earth determined by how much energy he wasted when he transformed/fought etc? Because if so, wouldn't SSJ2 Goku fighting SSJ2 Majin have gone through a decent chunk of his time on earth?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Indeed it does. Although he could fight Kid Buu as his equal, he was also getting more and more tired. Due to losing all that energy, he couldn't then power up to SSJ3.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

You know, this has always crossed my mind. Was the amount of time that Goku had left on earth determined by how much energy he wasted when he transformed/fought etc? Because if so, wouldn't SSJ2 Goku fighting SSJ2 Majin have gone through a decent chunk of his time on earth?
Although it's never explicitly stated, it's pretty much implied that Super Saiyan 3 drains life energy, similar to the Mafuuba or Kikoho.

The fact that it affected Goku's borrowed life energy on Earth & Gotenks' fusion time would exemplify that.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

In at least one version of Goku's confrontation with Fat Buu, it's implied that SSJ2 DID do that. Goku thinks something to the effect of "If possible, I didn't even want to have to go to the form beyond SSJ (referring to SSJ2)". It's nowhere near the drain of SSJ3, and for all we know, it just took his 24 hours and turned them into 23 hours 45 minutes, but he still implies that SSJ2 is also in that category of "shouldn't use if possible".
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 am

Going Super Saiyan 3 shortens Gotenks' 30 minute time limit to a mere five, and while it's unclear how long Goku was fighting Pure for, it didn't seem to be for that long in the manga. So yeah, I'd say that Super Saiyan 3 does burn through an excessive amount of stamina.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:30 am

I doubt it does for Goku and Vegeta cause they've far surpassed what's required for it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:59 am

Does it actually state Gotenks loses time going ssj3?

Last time I checked Piccolo said he left ssj3 because the fusion was almost over. They did fight Super Buu in base and ssj for quite some time.

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Doctor. wrote:

That was his first time using it though. He himself states he did not master the form yet.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Perfectionist-Cell wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

That was his first time using it though. He himself states he did not master the form yet.
Pretty sure it was just a bluff to buy time for Trunks to get the radar. He transforms in an instant vs Super Boo and we never saw him training inbetween those two fights.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Last time I checked Piccolo said he left ssj3 because the fusion was almost over. They did fight Super Buu in base and ssj for quite some time.
They don't specifically say five minutes but Gotenks does power down out of nowhere and then his fusion separately fizzles out too very shortly thereafter. So, even if it doesn't eat up his fusion time, he can't fight in it for very long regardless without powering down to base.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:34 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:

They don't specifically say five minutes but Gotenks does power down out of nowhere and then his fusion separately fizzles out too very shortly thereafter. So, even if it doesn't eat up his fusion time, he can't fight in it for very long regardless without powering down to base.

But Gotenks was already fighting in his other forms before he went ssj3. That could eaten up his time not ssj3. He showed no fatigue from using the form.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:50 pm

Simple answer, yes it does.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:56 pm

Perfectionist-Cell wrote:I watched all the scenes with Ssj3 and it doesn't drain energy as bad as fans claim it to be.

Ssj3 Gotenks fought Super Buu for quite some time and the form had no energy drain on him. He would have stayed in the form longer if the fusion didn't defuse.

Ssj3 Goku vs Kid Buu

Now I believe this is where thever energy drain thing started.

Ssj3 Goku (suppressed) was fighting Kid Buu with everything he had of course he is going to be energy drained plus on top of that he took damage.
It's just like with any other ssj form.

I'd like to see your opinions though.
Without proper mastery of the transformation's energy requirements, Super Saiyan 3 would tire out it's user in much less than the average length of an anime episode.

TheDragonBallGuy75
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheDragonBallGuy75 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:08 am

SSJ3 is a lot like the stamina draining, bulky transformations of the Cell saga - except dialed up to 11. It grants the user an explosive increase in power but heavily drains the user's stamina. It's like any newly acquired SSJ transformation.

Goku probably doesn't feel the sapping effects anymore because of all the training he did inbetween killing Buu and Beerus arriving, to minimize the stamina drain.

My personal head cannon is that fusion creates a more stable, robust form, allowing Gotenks to use SSJ3 uninhibited for a brief while cutting into his fusion time as a trade off , due to the massive amount of energy generated.

I suppose you could also argue, that SSJ3 was never meant to be used in the mortal world as it may potentially be sapping the user's life force with each use, which explains why Goku was originally so drained when he first used it. But this theory run into problems with Super, as Goku appears to have either mastered or reduced SSJ3's stamina drain down to a manageable level.
Someone asked me why I invest so much time into collecting Dragonball doujinshi.
I answered, "Because I don't see anyone else doing it".

My websites for all your Dragon Ball fan manga needs
http://www.dbfcscans.blogspot.com
https://twitter.com/DragonBallGuy75
https://www.facebook.com/DB-Fan-Manga-309854729705080/
https://discord.gg/qc49vtB

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:47 pm

When Trunks and Goten are training in the Room of Spirit and Time, right before Piccolo contacts them regarding bring Buu to them, they have this back and forth.
Trunks: “…But its weak point is time…See…We’re only able to become it for about 5 minutes…Then even our Fusion comes undone and we turn back into two people…”

Goten: “That’s no problem. We’ll become that way right off the bat! Even with just 5 minutes, we’ll definitely be able to take care of [Boo]!”
So, according to them, it's a general cap of 5 minutes for Ssj3, and even transforming freshly after fusing, they'll still only have 5 minutes.