GT becoming canon possible avenues

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Re: GT becoming canon possible avenues

Post by Revolution » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:50 am

TheZFighter wrote:Irrespective of everything I like, dislike and have been looking forward to in regards to Super, the main thing I have been looking forward to is the complete disregarding of GT. Still quietly hoping it happens.
If elements of GT were to carry over is there nothing at all you would want to see be merged with existing universe.
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 am

Revolution wrote:
TheZFighter wrote:Irrespective of everything I like, dislike and have been looking forward to in regards to Super, the main thing I have been looking forward to is the complete disregarding of GT. Still quietly hoping it happens.
If elements of GT were to carry over is there nothing at all you would want to see be merged with existing universe.
Hmm. The thing I always think about GT is that there actually were some good ideas and concepts there behind the stories, but they weren't done in a way that I was able to enjoy. I liked the basic ideas behind the Baby, Super 17 and Shadow Dragon sagas, for example, so I wouldn't be against them being re-done, but better, but I could really do without the whole Black Star Dragon Balls thing, which killed GT for me pretty early on.

I am fully aware that this isn't a popular opinion, but I've always hated the design of SS4, so I'd much prefer that just being forgotten altogether.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:07 am

Yeah each to their own on the ss4 stuff so fair enough I do like the idea of the form existing but only to tailed Saiyan so who achieve that level.

I’ve always loved the basic concept of those sagas or villains in particular. The baby one was quite well thought out in terms of his origins and the motivation behind his existence. This is something I’d like to see visited in Super and it ground the show a bit away from all the godly aspects.

Also I definitely think there’s potential for super 17 as well obviously the circumstances of this creation would most likely be vastly different from GT.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:08 pm

TheGodfather93 wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've posted this theory since the Champa arc. Now that we know for certain there are methods of time manipulation which do not cause alternatives time lines we know that time can be rewinded without consequences. Due to the stakes involved of the Universal Survival Arc, I believe the events of Super will be retconned by the winner of the tournament using the Super Dragonballs and wishing that Goku never met Beerus this setting off the chain of events for the majority of Super. Things like RoF could easily be explained away and GT becomes possible again while they could reboot into a new series how ever they want. Probably into a Time Patrol and type series.
I've seen this theory posted many, many, many times, and the fact remains that even if it ends up being true, it doesn't mean that GT would be able to happen. The main reason behind that is the beginning of GT is reliant on an aged version of the Pilaf Gang making a wish with the Black Star Dragon Balls, setting of the chain of events that happened in GT. The thing is though, if Toyotaro's work is to be followed, then the Pilaf Gang made a wish to become children way back during the Android arc. So in order to make it possible for them to be old at the start of GT, the retcon wish needs to go back all the way to that point in the story, and involve the Pilaf Gang never wishing to be children.
Again relatively easy. We know that the pilaf gang got the Dragonballs again and had to share it with Freeza's men, if Goku and Vegeta were on Earth and not training with Whis then they could have stop Freeza's men and Pilaf gets an additional wish. Maybe realizing they were too young to enjoy much they may have wished to be their proper ages again.

Now this does leave the issue of the Dragonball wishes equal to Dragons though it could be argued the age wish was relatively neutral or evil so it would have offset or the negative dragons rather than added to it and prolonged the shadow dragon effect.

In either case Super has characters like Gregory appearing and tons of other "non canon" things yet fans insist it's a direct continuity of the manga while ignoring far larger plot holes this would create. The point is every single plot hole can be filled if they wanted to, its so far from impossible it almost looks purposely setup to collapse under the changing of one single event. Unlike in Z, where the androids would happen with or without Frieza and the Buu saga is not contingent on the events of either Frieza or Cell.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:03 pm

I feel like Pilaf wishing himself older is not going to happen since he wasted the chance on doing so in ROF and after the Future Trunks saga.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like Pilaf wishing himself older is not going to happen since he wasted the chance on doing so in ROF and after the Future Trunks saga.
It definitely wouldn't happen, it's ridiculous. However if they really wanted to they would make it a gag where they go to an amusement park and he's not tall enough to get on a ride so he finds the Dragonballs to wish himself older and finds out he's still to short to ride the rides.

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:48 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:I feel like Pilaf wishing himself older is not going to happen since he wasted the chance on doing so in ROF and after the Future Trunks saga.
It definitely wouldn't happen, it's ridiculous. However if they really wanted to they would make it a gag where they go to an amusement park and he's not tall enough to get on a ride so he finds the Dragonballs to wish himself older and finds out he's still to short to ride the rides.
I can see that scene playing out in my mind so easily haha definitely something that would fit with the show. Even though I prefer a more a elaborate way or merging the two properties

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:36 pm

Xenoverse 2 also has GT Goku do dialogue with Beerus saying its been a long time. Its just for the game.

Aside from wishing none of Super ever happened there is no way to make GT canon. Timelime is a bad word since there would be a time ring.

Youd have to make up a previously unknown dynamic for it to work.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:40 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:Xenoverse 2 also has GT Goku do dialogue with Beerus saying its been a long time. Its just for the game.

Aside from wishing none of Super ever happened there is no way to make GT canon. Timelime is a bad word since there would be a time ring.

Why would you need to do that? It would be from the Super Dragonball wish which could just rewind time. We know that the ability to rewind time without creating multiple timelines exist and the Super Dragonballs are incredibly powerful.

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:52 pm

I know it’s just a game but it sews a seed as the material and potential is there.

Not all of GT needs to merge and Super doesn’t need to be overwritten in its entirety.

For example the time rift could merge elements of GT with the current show however this would create an entirely new and current timeline going forward.

So let’s say just for this instance that the black star dragon balls don’t carry over but the whole goings on in the Super 17 arc Slot in a similar way as in GT except obviously now Goku is still a grown man and the events in BoG and RoF could still have happened. However a notable difference would be Frieza is in Earths hell altogether so doesn’t participate. So same story but with some differences thanks to the story timelines merging.

This is the level I’m getting at

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:59 pm

Revolution wrote:I know it’s just a game but it sews a seed as the material and potential is there.

Not all of GT needs to merge and Super doesn’t need to be overwritten in its entirety.

For example the time rift could merge elements of GT with the current show however this would create an entirely new and current timeline going forward.

So let’s say just for this instance that the black star dragon balls don’t carry over but the whole goings on in the Super 17 arc Slot in a similar way as in GT except obviously now Goku is still a grown man and the events in BoG and RoF could still have happened. However a notable difference would be Frieza is in Earths hell altogether so doesn’t participate. So same story but with some differences thanks to the story timelines merging.

This is the level I’m getting at
Basically a GT remake, based on everything what happened during the events of Super.

I like it, I would enjoy that version of "GT" just alone from the fact that Goku would stay as a grown up.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:36 pm

TheMikado wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:Xenoverse 2 also has GT Goku do dialogue with Beerus saying its been a long time. Its just for the game.

Why would you need to do that? It would be from the Super Dragonball wish which could just rewind time. We know that the ability to rewind time without creating multiple timelines exist and the Super Dragonballs are incredibly powerful.
Huh? I'm saying that is the only way.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:55 pm

Don't be surprised if Super just ends at some point before, during or after EoZ (while in the 5 year gap) and GT's events taking place is kept ambigous. Toriyama doesn't care about stuff like that and Toei certainly don't care if things fit together neat and tidy as long as they can capitalize on it.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
TheMikado wrote:

Huh? I'm saying that is the only way.
No it is not. It is fiction. The moment Toei says "It happened after Super" there can be so many errors and inconsistencies as can be, it then happens nonetheless. A fictional universe is not destroyed by such things for the very fact that it is not really physically existing in the first place. That is why Dragon Ball and all the other fictional stories exist even without plot holes and are not destroyed by them.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:24 pm

I always chalk it up too an alternate timeline. One timeline when Beerus wakes up and the timeline where he oversleeps which leads into GT. Thats how I view it as anyways.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:41 am

Basically a GT remake, based on everything what happened during the events of Super.

I like it, I would enjoy that version of "GT" just alone from the fact that Goku would stay as a grown up.
Yeah basically. And then you could then with elements of GT merging over have the chance to retcon some stuff from Super to balance things out.

I haven’t really got a suggestion other than say certain characters not appearing this time around. I think Future Trunks would still face Goku Black and come back to the present however the present we did know would be changed. Let’s say the Super 17 arc did happen but the consequences of that had a lasting impact (possible deaths, or characters not getting the training g they got before, etc)

Another thing that could brew over the course of the show in the background is the emergence of Baby.. which could
Have an impact on Earth now while everyone is at the
Tournament and the Kai’s are distracted but King Kai could pick up on it and then alert whis

sunkensheep

Post by sunkensheep » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:14 pm

Even if they wanted to connect Super and GT, I don't think that GT will happen the same way, also because Mai has become such an important character in Trunks' life that it would be strange to toss her and made her just a simple old henchmen of Pilaf.

I think that most probably they would handle it as they are handling it the Broly/Kale situation: Making it canon but adapted in the new franchise. They already did it with General Rildo and the guy from U2 resembling him or with the GoD from U3 resembling Luud.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:54 pm

He only way they could accomplish this is well. Someone wishes that Zeno, the angels, and the gods of destruction never existed using the super dragon balls.

My head canon, GT happened because Beerus never woke up and Frieza's empire was completely destroyed

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:34 pm

I think that’s one other possible way of doing it. Of course, that would probably be more of an extreme overhaul leaning to a complete focus on GT over Super.

I think out of the two of those scenarios leaving the wish out of it and having Beerus not wake up would be better.

However, I still feel that it would be better to incorporate the best of both worlds.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:58 pm

All they have to do is retell GT within the confines of Super's in-universe events when the timeline reaches AGE 789.

Art style, music, writing, and pacing will be just like Super. Might see some Blue Ozaru instead of Golden ones. Goku will be trapped in Hell by Golden Freeza and Cell. #17 will remark that he hasn't seen them since the Tournament of Power. Beerus and Whis will undoubtedly be there for everything. Pan and Bra will probably become Super Saiyans. And it will probably go on for longer than 3 arcs.

With The Dragon Ball Room being a thing, and Toriyama's protege being an obviously huge fan of GT, this is literally only a matter of time.