GT becoming canon possible avenues

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Regular

Re: GT becoming canon possible avenues

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:45 pm

precita wrote:GT is just an alternate timeline where Beerus never visits the Earth, so Goku and Vegeta never learn about God ki and they never discover that there are alternate universes.

So there's that.
But wouldn't Beerus have intervened during the Shadow Dragons saga. Omega was a universal threat and would have spread his negative energy throughout the cosmos had Goku not stopped him.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Beerus could've always just slept through it. Something like the Super Saiyan God universe-threatening punch shockwaves might have been enough to wake him up, but Omega Shenron's negative energy seemed more like a "cancer gradually spreading that will eventually destroy the universe after seriously messing it up for days/months/years first" sort of thing rather than an immediate threat (and its effect was focused on Earth and was slowly moving outward from there, rather than already stretching across most of the universe right away and getting stronger the further away it got like the SSjG/Beerus punch shockwaves.)

Alternate ending to GT -- Beerus wakes up, swoops in and evaporates Omega Shenron, and then Goku and Vegeta get their butts kicked by him for a while before finally managing to impress him a bit by fusing into Gogeta (basically, like how Beerus decided not to destroy Earth in BoG after fighting SSjG Goku.)

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:59 am

There a lot of avenues where the general fanbase will be forced to accept GT as canon;

1. The Super Dragon Ball's are used to prevent Goku and Beerus never meeting
2. Kibito Kai re-fuse for one reason or another. Why didn't Vegeta and Goku use their God forms? Because Goku's body could barely handle Super Saiyan 3, let alone Super Saiyan Blue. Vegeta's pride could be used to explain away the lack of it, and he spends half the series trying to catch up to Super Saiyan 4
3. Super jumps to the EoGT with Goku on Shenron's back, and he reunites with Beerus and Whis in the clouds.
4. People take a different meaning of 'grand side-story' differently. Another way this can be interpreted is the same as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It's a side-story within that universe. Reaching here as a doubt most people would argue on my side for this.
5. It's finally accepted that Dragon Ball fans have their own individual canon's

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:30 pm

GT cannot fit into Super's canon at all. It's completely impossible:

- Goku and Vegeta never use Super Saiyan God again, and Super Saiyan 4 comes out of nowhere

- Supreme Kai and Kibito are fused again, which would make no sense

- Gohan goes Super Saiyan again, seemingly losing his Ultimate form once more

- Beerus/Whis and all other universes are of course never mentioned or exist

- The Super 17 arc flat out destroys all of Android 17's development as a family man and park ranger

- Bebi and other super-powered warriors in Universe 7 like Ledgic or Rilldo makes no sense because Buu was the strongest being in their universe, there shouldn't be anyone above him

- Freeza is seemingly back in Hell again, and has no golden form

- Emperor Pilaf, Shoe and Mai are now really old like they aged regularly instead of little kids or adults (which they would be if they age like the rest of the kids)

- Trunks and Mai are not dating nor are they a couple, which doesn't fit into the current timeline

It can't fit in.

_Auspex_

Post by _Auspex_ » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:10 pm

shadowmaria wrote:There a lot of avenues where the general fanbase will be forced to accept GT as canon;
The only way that would ever happen is if Akira Toriyama created a manga version of DBGT and announced that it's the official sequel to his DB manga.
Until then, DBGT is 100% filler. Just like all the DB and DBZ filler scenes in the TV show. Just like all the DB and DBZ movies before Battle Of Gods and Revival Of Freeza. Just like the Dr. Raichi OVA. Just like the Bardock TV Special and the DBGT TV Special.

I know some fans don't like to hear this, but that's the truth.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:38 am

I would give up my next three paychecks just to have Akira Toriyama release a statement saying that fans can decide their own "canon" (I doubt the Japanese fans have the same cultural concept of such a matter to begin with, making such a happenstance beyond unlikely) and that he doesn't care enough to sort out the difference.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Berserker1921 wrote:
Meshack wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:GT could happen in the timeline represented by that one extra Time Ring. If that was the case there could even be a GT/Super crossover.
GT can't be one of the other timelines. There're so many factors: Roh-Kaiohshin wasn't released in any other time (except Trunks's world but died immediately), Shin and Kibito did not know about the Potara, Goku died by the heart virus, Goku did not wish for Boo to be reincarnated, Gohan died, Goku and friends are dead, etc.
GT isn't an alternate timeline. It's a what if scenario. So basically many things have to happen before it can become a reality. As I see it GT is if Beerus never woke up and Frieza's loyal allies were wiped out against the galactic patrol.
I never said GT was an alternate timeline. Anyway, it's not anwhat-if scenario, it's officially been said to be a side story. Also, the Galactic Patrol is afraid of the Freeza Army, they would not attack his army. Speaking of the Freeza Army, they would have wanted to revive Freeza but he is still in Hell in GT. Speaking of Hell, the Hell is vastly different from the Hell depicted by Toriyama himself. Also, Freeza should be in his Mecha form, not his final form. Also, Toriyama specifically stated in his many that dead people don't keep their bodies unless they're good like Son Goku.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:16 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Berserker1921 wrote:
Meshack wrote: GT can't be one of the other timelines. There're so many factors: Roh-Kaiohshin wasn't released in any other time (except Trunks's world but died immediately), Shin and Kibito did not know about the Potara, Goku died by the heart virus, Goku did not wish for Boo to be reincarnated, Gohan died, Goku and friends are dead, etc.
GT isn't an alternate timeline. It's a what if scenario. So basically many things have to happen before it can become a reality. As I see it GT is if Beerus never woke up and Frieza's loyal allies were wiped out against the galactic patrol.
Or Buu didn't eat all the pudding so Beerus left and went back to sleep, and Goku killed Frieza's men when they came to Earth looking for the Dragon Balls. The biggest hurdle is the way Hell is depicted but we've only seen that one part where Frieza is. Realistically I don't think they'll do more than have some wink-and-nudge references to GT in the Super continuity.
Beerus stated he was going to destroy the Earth because there was no Super Saiyan God, not just the pudding. Also, Beerus did go to sleep after he fought with Goku but their training with Whis woke him up. I doubt Goku or Vegeta wouldn't have asked Whis to train them because they always wanna get stronger.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:02 am

I would have loved to seen Beerus appear at the end of GT and sneeze on Omega Shenron and instantly destroying him.Than ask the humans and saiyans have they heard of Ssj God.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:05 pm

Completely serious question here.

Say for example Goku and Vegeta are prohibited from ever using God ki again, and Kibito Kai re-fuse's for some reason...

How would you feel about Whis either referring to not over-using the Dragon Ball's due to negative build up of energy (forshadowing the Shadow Dragons), or Whis/Beerus showing up with Goku after EoGT for more training after Goku leaves with Beerus? Heck, even Super directly making reference to the event's of GT?

For what it's worth, on this official exhibit showing the timeline of the franchise, Dragon Ball GT is listed as taking place five years after the events of Super and Z

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:48 am

shadowmaria wrote:The Super Dragon Ball's are used to prevent Goku and Beerus never meeting.
There's no way they're going to do something like this. They're not going to spend 200 episodes or more on all this world and character building only to hit the restart butten at the end. This is not to say they won't tie them together but just not like that. We could get the GT we know as an alternate timeline or a remake that lines up with the events in Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:03 am

sintzu wrote:
shadowmaria wrote:The Super Dragon Ball's are used to prevent Goku and Beerus never meeting.
There's no way they're going to do something like this.
I completely agree, no way known that'll pull a coup like that, but it's an idea I've seen thrown around.

See my post above yours for more thoughts I've had on this

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 pm

The remaining universes post Tournament of Power merge together with Universe 7 in a new arc, explaining all the super powerful races that can give Goku trouble during the hunt for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

Civil war between Gods/Angels/Zeno, resulting in a lot of the Hakaishin and Angles to die. Goku and the gang defeat the evil side and attempt to use the Super Dragon Balls to revive everybody, but surprise surprise, Zarama doesn't allow it. He strips everybody of God Ki and disappears.

Goku gets bored as fuck with his life, since he tasted ultimate power but can't regain it whitout God Ki, so he decides to train Uub. Cue GT.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:17 pm

shadowmaria wrote:There a lot of avenues where the general fanbase will be forced to accept GT as canon;

1. The Super Dragon Ball's are used to prevent Goku and Beerus never meeting
2. Kibito Kai re-fuse for one reason or another. Why didn't Vegeta and Goku use their God forms? Because Goku's body could barely handle Super Saiyan 3, let alone Super Saiyan Blue. Vegeta's pride could be used to explain away the lack of it, and he spends half the series trying to catch up to Super Saiyan 4
3. Super jumps to the EoGT with Goku on Shenron's back, and he reunites with Beerus and Whis in the clouds.
4. People take a different meaning of 'grand side-story' differently. Another way this can be interpreted is the same as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It's a side-story within that universe. Reaching here as a doubt most people would argue on my side for this.
5. It's finally accepted that Dragon Ball fans have their own individual canon's
All of these "avenues" are incredibly forced and laughable honestly. The idea that the Pilaf Gang are going to wish themselves incredibly old again or Kibito and Shin are going to accidentally fuse is ridiculous, only idea more ridiculous is using the Super dragon balls to prevent Beerus meeting Goku and the gang. Does anyone honestly believe they're going to erase 100+ episodes of Super just to make GT "canon"?
Last edited by Ilikepictures-meh on Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 pm

Draconic wrote:The remaining universes post Tournament of Power merge together with Universe 7 in a new arc, explaining all the super powerful races that can give Goku trouble during the hunt for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

Civil war between Gods/Angels/Zeno, resulting in a lot of the Hakaishin and Angles to die. Goku and the gang defeat the evil side and attempt to use the Super Dragon Balls to revive everybody, but surprise surprise, Zarama doesn't allow it. He strips everybody of God Ki and disappears.

Goku gets bored as fuck with his life, since he tasted ultimate power but can't regain it whitout God Ki, so he decides to train Uub. Cue GT.
Though this is very unlikely to happen, this is the most well thought out way to somehow include GT in the main timeline. Though this still ignores the Pilaf gang being far older and not living in capsule corp. and Shin still being stuck in a fusion with Kibito

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:02 pm

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:
Draconic wrote:The remaining universes post Tournament of Power merge together with Universe 7 in a new arc, explaining all the super powerful races that can give Goku trouble during the hunt for the Black Star Dragon Balls.

Though this is very unlikely to happen, this is the most well thought out way to somehow include GT in the main timeline. Though this still ignores the Pilaf gang being far older and not living in capsule corp. and Shin still being stuck in a fusion with Kibito
In this version of events, I have Kibito and Kaioshin fuse during the war, probably should have mentioned that.
The Pilaf Gang is kind of a non-issue. With the Super Dragon Balls being the hot shit now, the regular ones are left quite unattended so they can always make the wish to become older. Shenron then trolls them like he did when he turned them into kids, turning them very old.

Of course, I don't think any of this will happen, but there are a lot of ways to tie GT in without cop outs like erasing memories, so I just gave an example of that :D
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:19 am

Draconic wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:

In this version of events, I have Kibito and Kaioshin fuse during the war, probably should have mentioned that.
The Pilaf Gang is kind of a non-issue. With the Super Dragon Balls being the hot shit now, the regular ones are left quite unattended so they can always make the wish to become older. Shenron then trolls them like he did when he turned them into kids, turning them very old.

Of course, I don't think any of this will happen, but there are a lot of ways to tie GT in without cop outs like erasing memories, so I just gave an example of that :D
I wouldn't say the Pilaf Gang is a non issue because considering the bonds they now have with Trunks and Bulma/Capsule Corp as well as common sense, their is literally no reason why they'd wish themselves to be older, nor would they just run away without being in touch with Trunks at the least.Same with Shin and Kabito, they initially fused by accident, their is no reason they'd do the accident again, nor is their a reason to fuse together realistically.

But you're correct in this is a better way to tie GT in the main timeline, thankfully that's likely not going to be necessary.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:39 am

Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Does anyone honestly believe they're going to erase 100+ episodes of Super just to make GT "canon"?
By the time Super ends it'll at least be 200 episodes, maybe 300. To answer your question, of course they're not going to do that. What we know for sure is that Super's leading to EOZ so as of now, that's the only thing it'll line up with.

GT however is very popular in merchandise so I do believe it'll be tied in somehow to the current events and this is how it could be :

1- It's an alternate timeline.

2- GT gets remade.

3- A new show set after EOZ leads into a GT remake or the GT we know.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:32 am

A GT remake could be in order, I guess. But short of that, its almost impossible to seamlessy fit GT into Super's continuity. Oh, continuity, such a narrative and pure concept... Canon, on the other hand...

Oh, and btw, fuck the canon concept, canon is for western anal-retentive geeks and nothing else (no personal offence meant for those who cherish their canon).

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 am

sintzu wrote:
Ilikepictures-meh wrote:Does anyone honestly believe they're going to erase 100+ episodes of Super just to make GT "canon"?
By the time Super ends it'll at least be 200 episodes, maybe 300. To answer your question, of course they're not going to do that. What we know for sure is that Super's leading to EOZ so as of now, that's the only thing it'll line up with.

GT however is very popular in merchandise so I do believe it'll be tied in somehow to the current events and this is how it could be :

1- It's an alternate timeline.

2- GT gets remade.

3- A new show set after EOZ leads into a GT remake or the GT we know.
I honestly doubt they're going to tie in GT in any way shape or form realistically. Not shitting on GT, but Toriyama seemingly never cared for its inclusion on his stories, which is why nothing in GT is ever mentioned or referenced in DBO, a project he considered to be the continuation of his story and worked 5 years on. This was long before Super basically confirmed GT is not a part of the main stories continuation.

Also I see no point in trying to "remake" GT when they can focus on creating new stories instead. Only way a GT remake would work is if it's vastly different such as no kid Goku, no grampa old Pilaf gang, no fused Shin and Kabito, no Super 17 arc, actually using the "new gen" characters like Bra, Marron, Uub, Goten, Trunks, Pan (and I guess Pilaf Gang and potentially 17 three kids along with new characters) in a useful way instead of background characters, etc. Along with all the other inclusions to the lore Super will bring us, it really wouldn't be a remake of GT at all.

At best we're going to see GT references like U3 god of destruction looking like GT Luud, we potentially could see other character designs from GT being used for new characters as spiritual successors to the original GT character, but it won't impact the main stories continuation all that much imo.

It's a side story, at best people can claim GT as an alternate timeline of the main timeline or something.