GT becoming canon possible avenues

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

GT becoming canon possible avenues

Post by Revolution » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:27 pm

I’ve got two lines of thinking on this one. The first one is that simply put there are a lot of great characters and storylines in GT and transformations .. *cough* Super Saiyan 4 *cough* and to have it just not be canon and be wholly disregarded for meaningful canonical discussion.

Don’t get me wrong there’s a lot to dislike but as is probably clear from me is there’s also a great deal to cherish.

My second line of thought comes from Xenoverse 2 and now

*****************SPOILERS*******************

At the end of the game when Trunks is asking for energy to defeat Fused Zamasu with the Spirit Bomb Sword/Sword of hope, etc. We see characters from across the universe lending there energy. And thanks to the time rift created by Zamasu we see characters from GT lending there energy.

I thought is this a different timeline where GT could exist? and then become canon from this? AND because I currently lack the creativity to think of a more dragonball loyal method but the Flashpoint storyline from The Flash comics could be inplented here and when it’s resolved we could have elements from GT merge with the existing Super storyline as happening in The Flash.

What do you all think about this? And what would you like to see go and stay.
Frieza?! .. You fool!!!!!

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: GT becoming canon possible avenues

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Dragon Ball GT is well established as a different continuity any where you go. Xenoverse 2 showing Goku, Trunks and Pan in that moment doesn't confirm anything that we don't already know, the anime series do takes place in a different dimension, or as Toriyama says: "side-story" (to the main continuity). It doesn't mean Dragon Ball GT is "canon", well, at least not to the main continuity, that is. If movies take place in a different dimension (as confirmed by Toriyama too), I don't see why Dragon Ball GT "wouldn't exist".
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:59 pm

I understand it doesn’t confirm it as canon and of course it’s a different continuity but that simply serves as motivation for my idea really.

I’m thinking more along the lines of bringing it away from being a different dimension and into the current timeline we still watch today. Of course this would bring about huge changes within the show but it would be very interesting and certainly entertaining

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:05 pm

Toei seems to consider the old DBZ movies and GT to be their own thing. They didn't mention or reference Broli in Super Episode 100. They call her form as a "True Super Saiyan form" and not a Legendary Super Saiyan.

They will probably go beyond the end of DBZ later on in Super and GT is already thrown out of the window anyways at this point. GT can't fit with Super and the last two movies because

1. We have new forms of SSj and Goku & Vegeta never use them in GT.
2. Freeza never use his Golden Form in GT when he could use it at any time.
3. Everyone acts like that they have not seen #17 since the Cell saga despite them seeing #17 later on.
4. Kibitoshin never defuse in GT and Goku in GT said that he has not seen Kibitoshin and Elder Kaioshin in many years after defeating Buu.
5. Goku said that Super Yi Xing Long's power is beyond anything that he has seen before despite Goku seeing Zeno wipe out a whole Universe. Shin mention that no one is above Zeno.
6. They still use the Potara in Super and yet they never try to use it in GT. Why didn't Kibitoshin just go to Earth in GT and give the Potara to Goku & Vegeta against Super Yi Xing Long?

The only way for Super and GT to be link together if they did some type of crossover by having two different timelines cash into each other.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:12 pm

I've posted this theory since the Champa arc. Now that we know for certain there are methods of time manipulation which do not cause alternatives time lines we know that time can be rewinded without consequences. Due to the stakes involved of the Universal Survival Arc, I believe the events of Super will be retconned by the winner of the tournament using the Super Dragonballs and wishing that Goku never met Beerus this setting off the chain of events for the majority of Super. Things like RoF could easily be explained away and GT becomes possible again while they could reboot into a new series how ever they want. Probably into a Time Patrol and type series.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:32 pm

TheMikado wrote:I've posted this theory since the Champa arc. Now that we know for certain there are methods of time manipulation which do not cause alternatives time lines we know that time can be rewinded without consequences. Due to the stakes involved of the Universal Survival Arc, I believe the events of Super will be retconned by the winner of the tournament using the Super Dragonballs and wishing that Goku never met Beerus this setting off the chain of events for the majority of Super. Things like RoF could easily be explained away and GT becomes possible again while they could reboot into a new series how ever they want. Probably into a Time Patrol and type series.
It seems really far-fetched to have Gokuu wish away a specific event and scramble the entire timeline if he could just as easily wish for something like the revival of all the destroyed universes. Wishing away the Beerus meeting would also still keep every universe that Zeno wants gone in danger, including U7.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:46 pm

GigaDrill wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I've posted this theory since the Champa arc. Now that we know for certain there are methods of time manipulation which do not cause alternatives time lines we know that time can be rewinded without consequences. Due to the stakes involved of the Universal Survival Arc, I believe the events of Super will be retconned by the winner of the tournament using the Super Dragonballs and wishing that Goku never met Beerus this setting off the chain of events for the majority of Super. Things like RoF could easily be explained away and GT becomes possible again while they could reboot into a new series how ever they want. Probably into a Time Patrol and type series.
It seems really far-fetched to have Gokuu wish away a specific event and scramble the entire timeline if he could just as easily wish for something like the revival of all the destroyed universes. Wishing away the Beerus meeting would also still keep every universe that Zeno wants gone in danger, including U7.
You're assuming Goku wins and makes that wish to begin with. I could easily see Piccolo, Gohan, or Vegeta make that wish, or any of the Pride Troops. Also we know from both DB online and Trunks future timeline that the universes are kept around for a while. Your argument makes even less sense when wishing them back could tick Zeno off and he just destroys them and everything else all over again.

Venus
Beyond Newbie

Post by Venus » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:55 pm

GigaDrill wrote:
Unless Daishinkan want's this to happen, let's say, having his own agenda, he has a plan against Zeno, which involves a reset, which also would restore the erased universes that way.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:17 pm

GT is just an alternate timeline where Beerus never visits the Earth, so Goku and Vegeta never learn about God ki and they never discover that there are alternate universes.

So there's that.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:19 pm

Grimlock wrote:Dragon Ball GT is well established as a different continuity any where you go. Xenoverse 2 showing Goku, Trunks and Pan in that moment doesn't confirm anything that we don't already know, the anime series do takes place in a different dimension, or as Toriyama says: "side-story" (to the main continuity). It doesn't mean Dragon Ball GT is "canon", well, at least not to the main continuity, that is. If movies take place in a different dimension (as confirmed by Toriyama too), I don't see why Dragon Ball GT "wouldn't exist".
Side story has nothing to do with not happening within the same continuity or not being canonical or anything.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Revolution
Beyond Newbie

Post by Revolution » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:54 pm

Cetra wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Dragon Ball GT is well established as a different continuity any where you go. Xenoverse 2 showing Goku, Trunks and Pan in that moment doesn't confirm anything that we don't already know, the anime series do takes place in a different dimension, or as Toriyama says: "side-story" (to the main continuity). It doesn't mean Dragon Ball GT is "canon", well, at least not to the main continuity, that is. If movies take place in a different dimension (as confirmed by Toriyama too), I don't see why Dragon Ball GT "wouldn't exist".

Side story has nothing to do with not happening within the same continuity or not being canonical or anything.

precita wrote:GT is just an alternate timeline where Beerus never visits the Earth, so Goku and Vegeta never learn about God ki and they never discover that there are alternate universes.

So there's that.
1. This is my view on the subject. There’s plenty of ways it could become canon it doesn’t have to completely overwrite anything.

2. Exactly it’s an alternate timeline in theory. You could have something like a time rift as seen in the Goku Black arc and the two realities could collide creating a blend going forward..

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:01 pm

TheMikado wrote:I believe the events of Super will be retconned.
Super is waaaaaaay to popular for that to happen. Once this arc is over we'll simply move on to the next one and once that's over we'll move onto the one after that.

GT is very popular in Heroes so I do think it'll eventually fit into the timeline but not the GT we know, instead we'll get some kind of remake that takes the current events into account.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:24 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:I believe the events of Super will be retconned.
Super is waaaaaaay to popular for that to happen. Once this arc is over we'll simply move on to the next one and once that's over we'll move onto the one after that.

GT is very popular in Heroes so I do think it'll eventually fit into the timeline but not the GT we know, instead we'll get some kind of remake that takes the current events into account.
Based on what, further what does the popularity have to do with the retcon? The can retcon it and still call it Dragonball Super if they want.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:36 pm

TheMikado wrote:Based on what, what does the popularity have to do with the retcon ?
Why would they retcon something that's bringing in millions for everyone involved ? for a show (GT) that failed ? apart from that, it doesn't make any sense to make hundreds of epiosdes only to say at the end none of it happened.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
TheMikado wrote:Based on what, what does the popularity have to do with the retcon ?
Why would they retcon something that's bringing in millions for everyone involved ? for a show (GT) that failed ? apart from that, it doesn't make any sense to make hundreds of epiosdes only to say at the end none of it happened.
This thread has nothing to do with why they would do it just how. If that's your argument then you're in the wrong thread.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:25 pm

TheMikado wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:
You're assuming Goku wins and makes that wish to begin with. I could easily see Piccolo, Gohan, or Vegeta make that wish, or any of the Pride Troops. Also we know from both DB online and Trunks future timeline that the universes are kept around for a while. Your argument makes even less sense when wishing them back could tick Zeno off and he just destroys them and everything else all over again.
I don't really see that much being different if you switch out "Gokuu" with "Piccolo", "Hit", or anyone who isn't like Frost or Freeza. Zeno being Zeno, Gokuu could probably pull some bs out of his poop chute to satisfy him. Wishing away Beerus' arrival would also lead to Freeza slaughtering everyone on Earth since his resurrection is independent of Beerus looking for the SSJG. Maybe wishing away the arrival of Beerus also conveniently erases Freeza's revival, but I can't see anyone in U7 betting on it.
I also can't see why Super has to lead in to GT. It seems to be the general established case that GT and Super are accepted as alternate timelines, with your theory being a really far stretch that does what doesn't really need to be done in the first place.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:39 pm

GigaDrill wrote:
TheMikado wrote:
GigaDrill wrote: It seems really far-fetched to have Gokuu wish away a specific event and scramble the entire timeline if he could just as easily wish for something like the revival of all the destroyed universes. Wishing away the Beerus meeting would also still keep every universe that Zeno wants gone in danger, including U7.
I don't really see that much being different if you switch out "Gokuu" with "Piccolo", "Hit", or anyone who isn't like Frost or Freeza. Zeno being Zeno, Gokuu could probably pull some bs out of his poop chute to satisfy him. Wishing away Beerus' arrival would also lead to Freeza slaughtering everyone on Earth since his resurrection is independent of Beerus looking for the SSJG. Maybe wishing away the arrival of Beerus also conveniently erases Freeza's revival, but I can't see anyone in U7 betting on it.
I also can't see why Super has to lead in to GT. It seems to be the general established case that GT and Super are accepted as alternate timelines, with your theory being a really far stretch that does what doesn't really need to be done in the first place.
They could easily BS RoF away as it's contingent on them getting the Dragonballs while Goku and Vegeta were off world training with Whis.
But as I stated above:

This thread has nothing to do with why they would do it just how. If that's your argument then you're in the wrong thread.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:00 pm

They can re-write GT out of the story and still use GT stuff for toys, cards and video games. Other franchises re-write stuff and still use old stuff for new merchandise.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:00 am

Irrespective of everything I like, dislike and have been looking forward to in regards to Super, the main thing I have been looking forward to is the complete disregarding of GT. Still quietly hoping it happens.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

TheGodfather93
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheGodfather93 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 am

I've seen this theory posted many, many, many times, and the fact remains that even if it ends up being true, it doesn't mean that GT would be able to happen. The main reason behind that is the beginning of GT is reliant on an aged version of the Pilaf Gang making a wish with the Black Star Dragon Balls, setting of the chain of events that happened in GT. The thing is though, if Toyotaro's work is to be followed, then the Pilaf Gang made a wish to become children way back during the Android arc. So in order to make it possible for them to be old at the start of GT, the retcon wish needs to go back all the way to that point in the story, and involve the Pilaf Gang never wishing to be children.
If you have the time and are interested, please consider checking out my fanfiction account at https://www.fanfiction.net/~thegodfather93