Broli and Coola are really canon?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cetra
I Live Here

Re: Broli and Coola are really canon?

Post by Cetra » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:48 am

Duo wrote: Akira Toriyama also designed characters from Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Quest series, as well as Blue Dragon some years later. Nothing about that makes those games or designs related to the continuity of Dragon Ball at all whatsoever.
That comparison could not be more off. The Dragon Ball Movies are Dragon Ball Products. Chrono and Quest are not.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:57 am

As Kaboom mentioned earlier, there is no official DB canon. I wish that meme would die. On the subject of continuity though, the closest we have is the anime timeline in Daizenshuu 7. According to that, the Garlic Jr and Cooler movies happened in the anime continuity, but the Broly movies did not.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:44 am

Cetra wrote:
Duo wrote: Akira Toriyama also designed characters from Chrono Trigger and the Dragon Quest series, as well as Blue Dragon some years later. Nothing about that makes those games or designs related to the continuity of Dragon Ball at all whatsoever.
That comparison could not be more off. The Dragon Ball Movies are Dragon Ball Products. Chrono and Quest are not.
The point stands firm that drawing a character is completely removed from a statement of continuity. Half of the covers Toriyama drew for the manga volumes (tankobon) can't possibly be "canon", as well.

szopman
Beyond Newbie

Post by szopman » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:34 am

Cooler - if someone counts GT as canon (I do), then Cooler would be canon (at least the first movie, cause there's no way to connect second Coola movie with the series canon) since he appears in GT's Super 17 Saga :)
Brolly - I don't think so, not anymore. I mean, they saw LSSJ Kale and they didn't recognize the form, they didn't mention Brolly, so it's obvious that the movie doesn't take place in the series timeline.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:35 am

DBS isn't 100% canon, Toriyama's script is canon but the Manga (made by Toyotaro) and anime (made by Toei) are two adaptations, so I don't know if we can consider DBS as canon... DB/DBZ/DBminus are canon because it is made by Akira Toriyama. The others are not. If you have never seen Cooler or Broly in DB/DBZ/DBminus that just means they are non-canon. But if Toriyama says that all the movie-characters are canon, that'd make them canon, doesn't matter if some people will disagree with it.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:18 pm

BrolyKale wrote:DBS isn't 100% canon, Toriyama's script is canon but the Manga (made by Toyotaro) and anime (made by Toei) are two adaptations, so I don't know if we can consider DBS as canon.
Even his scripts can be questioned. Talking about the Trunks arc he said "I put together this story based on a suggestion from the editorial office" so it wasn't completely his idea. Looking on how plain the current arc is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also made on their request with even less involvment from him. We didn't even get a comment for it like the previous 2 arcs and movies.

During an interview after BOG he said Goku would just use his base and Ssj forms yet we got SsjB less than a year after so was that their idea as well ? it seems odd he'd say one thing then completely go against it a minute later. Freeza and Saiyans are very popular so were the alternate ones we got form U6 also their suggestion ?

As of now, the only new story that's close to 100% Toriyama is BOG, everything else has company/merchandise hands all over it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:32 pm

Why are the scripts relevant at all? They are not the product. The anime is the main product.

Like, the scripts are the only thing being discussed here that are objectively non-canon, because they are not products that are part of the franchise!
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:37 pm

Bah, who cares about the franchise. It's all about Toriyama's true vision, maaaan.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Zephyr wrote:Dragon Ball Z Movie 1 is canon the the Garlic Jr. arc.
I think that all DBZ movies which had Gohan's pet dragon are canon to the Garlic Jr arc.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:53 am

sintzu wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:DBS isn't 100% canon, Toriyama's script is canon but the Manga (made by Toyotaro) and anime (made by Toei) are two adaptations, so I don't know if we can consider DBS as canon.
Even his scripts can be questioned. Talking about the Trunks arc he said "I put together this story based on a suggestion from the editorial office" so it wasn't completely his idea. Looking on how plain the current arc is, I wouldn't be surprised if it was also made on their request with even less involvment from him. We didn't even get a comment for it like the previous 2 arcs and movies.

During an interview after BOG he said Goku would just use his base and Ssj forms yet we got SsjB less than a year after so was that their idea as well ? it seems odd he'd say one thing then completely go against it a minute later. Freeza and Saiyans are very popular so were the alternate ones we got form U6 also their suggestion ?

As of now, the only new story that's close to 100% Toriyama is BOG, everything else has company/merchandise hands all over it.
Even BoG wasn't all Toriyama. I'm pretty sure they already had a script for it and Toriyama came in and made changes. For example he completely reworked Beerus' character.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 am

dragon boss z wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Even BoG wasn't all Toriyama. I'm pretty sure they already had a script for it and Toriyama came in and made changes. For example he completely reworked Beerus' character.
Toriyama rewrote the entire script for Battle of Gods, changed Beerus's design, and other things. He even said he wrote the story as a continuation of the manga. CONFIRMATION IT'S CANON. He said the same or something sinilar for Resurrection F. Toriyama isn't doing much for Super but he is writing the plot outline and said in the press conference or whatever that it is a CONTINUATION OF THE MAJIN-BOO ARC. Toriyama doesn't have to do everything for it to be canon. Broly, Coora, Tapion, Toma, Boujack, Garlic Jr., and other movie villains and heroes, they're not canon. They were never mentioned in the manga: Freeza never said he had a brother in the manga, Toriyama only mentioned King Cold and Freeza as a family, no mother, sister, or brother. In Dragon Ball Minus, Gokuh has been in an incubator for 3 years, was not born the same day for the destruction for Planet Vegeta, so there's no way Broly and Gokuh could have been born on the same day for Gokuh to anger him for crying, and being stabbed the same day and protect his father from Freeza. Toriyama already said the movies (BEFORE BATTLE OF GODS) happened in an alternate dimension from the main story. That's it. They're not canon. He just did designs for the movies and changed some characters' names. Doesn't mean they're canon

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:49 pm

The more I read about this stuff, the more my inner grammar nazi tells me there should be a FAQ on the front page of every fandom-related website specifying that "canon" is supposed to be the noun (i.e. the canon of Star Wars) and "canonical" the adjective ("the comic is not canonical"). You can make a difference, guys! Improve the world! Spread the knoweldge! Yay!

Regarding the movie characters: canonical, per se, doesn't mean much in this context. Indeed, a lot of the movie characters were designed by Toriyama, but, as others have already pointed out, the problem is not that these characters are not directly referenced, but that most the actual stories do not actually align with the narrative continuity of neither the anime nor the manga, apparently making each of the movie iterations a self-contained type of hypothetical scenario that simple borrows most of the character from a time-frame of Dragon Ball to narrate an alternative take on some events.

That's really all there is to say on the subject to keep it simple and neat. Some of the movies could technically fit in the anime, admittedly, and I think an user made a really cool thread in which he tried to see if some movies could fit with each other, and what kind of timeline could be created; but it's probably a relatively funny mental exercise more than anything else.

I have to admit, though: learning here that "Revenge of Cooler" was referenced as part of the anime continuity by some official material (whether by accident or design) does throw me a little off-balance since it's one of those movies that very egregiously couldn't happen in the anime continuity -- on paper, at least.

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Meshack wrote:
dragon boss z wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Toriyama rewrote the entire script for Battle of Gods, changed Beerus's design, and other things. He even said he wrote the story as a continuation of the manga. CONFIRMATION IT'S CANON. He said the same or something sinilar for Resurrection F. Toriyama isn't doing much for Super but he is writing the plot outline and said in the press conference or whatever that it is a CONTINUATION OF THE MAJIN-BOO ARC. Toriyama doesn't have to do everything for it to be canon. Broly, Coora, Tapion, Toma, Boujack, Garlic Jr., and other movie villains and heroes, they're not canon. They were never mentioned in the manga: Freeza never said he had a brother in the manga, Toriyama only mentioned King Cold and Freeza as a family, no mother, sister, or brother. In Dragon Ball Minus, Gokuh has been in an incubator for 3 years, was not born the same day for the destruction for Planet Vegeta, so there's no way Broly and Gokuh could have been born on the same day for Gokuh to anger him for crying, and being stabbed the same day and protect his father from Freeza. Toriyama already said the movies (BEFORE BATTLE OF GODS) happened in an alternate dimension from the main story. That's it. They're not canon. He just did designs for the movies and changed some characters' names. Doesn't mean they're canon
Ummm I know that? What are you trying to get at? He said BoG was close to 100% Toriyama, I was just saying I wouldn't really go that far. Obviously BoG and RoF are the only "canon" movies. You should check what I'm saying before writing me an essay on something I already know, lol.