Does DB Have Any Abstract Deities?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Does DB Have Any Abstract Deities?

Post by theherodjl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:34 pm

Companies like Marvel & DC are packed to the brim with abstract entities that manifest as the personification of various concepts(Time, space, death, entropy, love, hate, order, chaos) but is there any characters in DB that fit this classification?
Obviously Kaioshin & Beerus would be the physical embodiments of creation & destruction, within the game's continuity Chronoa would be the embodiment of time, and Zeno would be the supreme judge over all the universes similar to Living Tribunal but are there more?
Gowasu states something along the lines that Zamasu was attempting to become a metaphysical embodiment of justice after expanding his consciousness beyond his ruined body but how would Gowasu figure that? Are there other beings who have attempted something like this before? Some who have succeeded? Are there already some that exist and we haven't seen them yet? Where would the angels fit? As the embodiment of guardianship?
Any thoughts or theories?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Does DB Have Any Abstract Deities?

Post by LightBing » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Arguably Boo is the personification of evil, based on Mr.Toriyama's retcon of his origins(quote below). It fits nicely in my opinion, shame he didn't thought of it originally.
Janemba is another personification of evil, specifically the evil from mortal beings, if I'm remembering the movie correctly.

I don't think there's more.

[spoiler]"How did Bibbidi make Majin Boo? What process was there, what were Boo’s ingredients, etc…
Though in the manga Kaiōshin said that Bibbidi made him, the truth is that one called “Boo” was not actually created by Bididi, but has existed since time immemorial. He cycled between rampages and long hibernation. During numerous iterations of this cycle, he absorbed the evil elements of mankind, becoming steadily more violent. Bibbidi merely knew the means of calling Boo from out of his long slumber. Since the current Boo is a slightly different life-form due to the changes brought about when the evil Boo was expelled, it’s not known whether he’ll still go into long hibernation."[/spoiler] Source: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... mysteries/

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:40 pm

theherodjl wrote:Obviously Kaioshin & Beerus would be the physical embodiments of creation & destruction, within the game's continuity Chronoa would be the embodiment of time, and Zeno would be the supreme judge over all the universes similar to Living Tribunal but are there more?
Unlike Marvel and DC, which really take the concept of something abstract and give it a physical body/a form, that's not the case of Kaioshins and Hakaishins. They're all actual beings, not abstracts. They can be replaced by someone else. Being a deity in Dragon Ball is actually a job rather than what is used in Marvel and DC.
theherodjl wrote:Any thoughts or theories?
There's no abstract entities as far as we know in Dragon Ball. There's Buu but we don't know much about his origins and I would say that rather than being an actual personification of evil, he's just someone that is evil, and that applies to most of Dragon Ball villains so it's not what you'd call a legit "abstract being taken form". Still, that concept would be very welcome in Dragon Ball. I'd like to see the Megaverse taken form fighting One Piece's and Naruto's Universes taken form. :P
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Aside from Zamasu's final form, all of the gods seem to be physical beings
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:49 pm

As far as I can tell, DB is primarily Japanese-Buddhist influenced, which means there are various levels of gods in charge of different realms of the Universe.

Maybe Zen-O counts as he's the king of all.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:57 pm

A large part of the humor comes from the fact that the gods aren't these all knowing and competent immortals. You would EXPECT the gods to be abstracts, but then they turn out to be... basically the same as humans. Kaioshin is a coward, Beerus is... all over the place, and Zeno is a child. The whole joke is how deeply flawed the gods are.