How did Yajirobe get the string through the DB?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

How did Yajirobe get the string through the DB?

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:19 pm

I'm rereading the manga (again) and I'm at the start of volume 13. Earlier I saw Yajirobe's DB that had a string through it somehow. Isn't that impossible because DB's aren't breakable?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How did Yajirobe get the string through the DB?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:07 am

Dragon Balls being unbreakable was, as far as I'm aware, only introduced in a filler episode during the Colonel Silver arc, the one where Goku's clothes are nicked by a nomad boy, and in particular a scam artist sells fake Dragon Balls (which raises a whole bunch of questions) to the Pilaf Gang and Silver himself*. This would get semi-contradicted in the Namek ark where, at Vegeta's suggestion, Krillin attempts to smash his Namekian Dragon Ball with his fist to keep it out of the Ginyu Force's hands, suggesting that the ubreakable thing is something that doesn't apply to Toriyama when he's writing the story.

With that said, the outstanding issue is that the ball is later seen, after Yajirobe gives it to Goku, without a hole in it at all. I guess the Dragon Balls can heal themselves of punctures? Certainly would explain why they have no scuffs or scratches or other signs of wear on them. There's also the fact that Yajirobe was apparently able to drill a hole through the ball itself without it shattering, again suggesting mystical properties at work.

*Fun fact: in the FUNimation dub, after Silver shoots the scam artist over the deception he drops a Han Solo reference by saying "A boring conversation, anyway".

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 am

Isn't it so Yajirobe to be the one who takes a drill to the revered, omnipotent ancient godly artifacts so he can wear it like a piece of jewelry?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

I always just thought he glued both sides on to make it seem like it went through it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I'm rereading the manga (again) and I'm at the start of volume 13. Earlier I saw Yajirobe's DB that had a string through it somehow. Isn't that impossible because DB's aren't breakable?
Toriyama himself has stated that the Dragon Balls essentially are like natural resin in terms of consistency and properties, and that if they get damaged like a hole drilled in them, they'll return to normal once they're used, dispersed, and then reactivated.

From the Super Exciting Guide:
How do the Dragon Balls feel to the touch?

I think they have the properties of a hard, natural resin. Even if a hole is drilled in them or they get damaged, after a wish is granted and they disperse, the damage disappears once they return to being orbs, and they become like new.
The concept of them being indestructible was, as mentioned, anime filler, and Toriyama has maintained that they can be destroyed, or at least, prior to the SEG, that characters thought they could be destroyed.
sintzu wrote:I always just thought he glued both sides on to make it seem like it went through it.
No, it's quite clearly strung through, as you can see the string through the inside of the Dragon Ball.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:No, it's quite clearly strung through, as you can see the string through the inside of the Dragon Ball.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
You're right. I guess it's just an inconsistancy.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:Toriyama himself has stated that the Dragon Balls essentially are like natural resin in terms of consistency and properties, and that if they get damaged like a hole drilled in them, they'll return to normal once they're used, dispersed, and then reactivated.
I don't think Toriyama actually drew the One-Star Ball with the hole in it after Yajirobe gives it to Goku, which I figured was the Dragon Ball healing itself while nobody was looking.