The SSJ and the base limits

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ahill1
Regular

The SSJ and the base limits

Post by ahill1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Chapter: 307 (DBZ 113), P8.2-3
Vegeta: “He’s not the same Kakarot as before…S-seems he’s finally overcome the wall of his limits…Is he a Super Saiyan…!?”
Chapter 343 (DBZ 149), P11.1-5
Kuririn: “Th-that’s impossible…! Wh-why can he become a Super Saiyan…?! Don’t you have to have a tranquil heart to become one…!?”
Vegeta: “I was tranquil…Tranquil and pure…Pure evil, that is…I wished to get strong just by training earnestly…And so I went through stupendous training over and over again…Eventually, I realized my limits…Through my anger towards myself, I suddenly awakened…into a Super Saiyan!”

How do you take those statements? Do they mean you can't get stronger in base after attaining SSJ?

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: The SSJ and the base limits

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:53 pm

Every Arc those guys says they are on the limit, yet they get stronger. Dragon Ball is about breaking limits, after all.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Re: The SSJ and the base limits

Post by LowRyder2005 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:47 am

I feel like "limit" has some sligthly different contextual meaning. In Goku's case it really feels like he's talking about "strength" in general, as in "he improved his power considerably"; when Vegeta's talking about himself it's more like he's saying couldn't really find the means to transform and/or that he couldn't reach SS Goku's level of strength he had witnessed on Namek. Which ironically acted as his catalyst to become a Super Saiyan, as we all know.

Do note that the level displayed by a Super Saiyan on Namek (*50) was very far beyond their current limit, so the wording looks pretty faithful.