How can Vegeta counter the Kaioken?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Duo
I Live Here

Re: How can Vegeta counter the Kaioken?

Post by Duo » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:09 pm

This does put a huge spotlight on the omission of Kaio-ken in the manga version. It creates this problem where Vegeta can't realistically deal with Goku using that technique in a match between them. The fact the anime went so far as to amp Goku up to a tenfold Kaio-ken is absurd. There have been some great scenes and animation to come out of it, but the only answer I can come up with for this question is nothing.

Almighty Majin
Beyond Newbie

Post by Almighty Majin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:17 am

The only way I see Vegeta being able to counter the Kaioken is if he either regains his tail and utilizes Oozaru with Blue or if he creates a technique similar to the Kaioken himself (Vegeta's techniques all revolve around charging ki in large amounts so he could probably utilize that method in a different way to power himself up). Even then, with the new form that Goku is getting, it doesn't really matter if Vegeta can counter the Kaioken because he would also need something to counter Goku's new form. The only counter I see for that is if Vegeta achieves that form in his own way or if SSJ4 is rewritten into the series like how LSSJ was rewritten into Berserk SSJ.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:02 am

Duo wrote:The fact the anime went so far as to amp Goku up to a tenfold Kaio-ken is absurd.
What's more absured is what they did today, giving Goku Vegeta's method of switching between Red and Blue. It's not enough to give Goku everything new, they're now giving him what other characters came up with. Looks like Super is turning into Goku Time 2.0.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 am

sintzu wrote:
Duo wrote:The fact the anime went so far as to amp Goku up to a tenfold Kaio-ken is absurd.
What's more absured is what they did today, giving Goku Vegeta's method of switching between Red and Blue. It's not enough to give Goku everything new, they're now giving him what other characters came up with. Looks like Super is turning into Goku Time 2.0.
In the anime, nobody come up with that idea. The events of the anime don't cirectly correlate with how events transpire in the manga. Bot mediums provide their own unique interpretation of events based on Toriyama's outline. It's like saying the manga copied the "Goku hasn't kissed his wife joke" from the anime.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:05 am

Lord Beerus wrote:In the anime, nobody come up with that idea. The events of the anime don't cirectly correlate with how events transpire in the manga.
It doesn't matter, the idea was brough up by Vegeta so why not have him be the one to bring it up here ? Goku already has so much going for him, why are they taking away what others did to prep him up even more ? Vegeta hasn't done anything major in this arc so this would've more than brought him back into the spotlight but nope, they have to let Goku do it or kids will forget he's the main character.

People say Vegeta always copies Goku but this is one time he used his brain and came up with something completely different on his own. It would've been a great character moment.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 am

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:In the anime, nobody come up with that idea. The events of the anime don't directly correlate with how events transpire in the manga.
It doesn't matter, the idea was brough up by Vegeta so why not have him be the one to bring it up here ? Goku already has so much going for him, why are they taking away what others did to prep him up even more ? Vegeta hasn't done anything major in this arc so this would've more than brought him back into the spotlight but nope, they have to let Goku do it or kids will forget he's the main character.
I really don't see what the issue is. Your source of contention seems to be the fact that a scenario that happened in the manga didn't happen in the exact same way in the anime. Despite the fact that it's made very apparent that both mediums provide their own spin on Toriyama's plot outline, without taking into consideration what the other medium does. There's nothing inherently wrong with Goku being able to interchange between SSJG and SSJB. Hell, it didn't even matter than much when it happened in the anime. Both the anime and manga exist to tell their own self contained story. Nothing in mutual or exclusive, as as the progression of the narrative, when taking into both the anime and the manga. They both co-exist but don't work in tandem with each other.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:35 am

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:In the anime, nobody come up with that idea. The events of the anime don't cirectly correlate with how events transpire in the manga.

People say Vegeta always copies Goku but this is one time he used his brain and came up with something completely different on his own. It would've been a great character moment.
Goku came up with the idea in the manga, when he did it against Hit. Vegeta can do it multiple times in a row, but switching from God to Blue at the last minute? All Goku.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:48 am

Draconic wrote:
sintzu wrote:

Goku came up with the idea in the manga, when he did it against Hit. Vegeta can do it multiple times in a row, but switching from God to Blue at the last minute? All Goku.
Oh yeah. I forgot that Goku pull the old SSJG/SSJB switcheroo against Hit in the Champa arc in the manga.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Well, I still feel that nothing would have been lost by SSG not reappearing in Ep.104. It was pointless, served no purpose (beyond perhaps fan-service and an excuse to hype the episode up before it'd aired) and wasn't even well used in the episode.

Honestly don't think anything would have been lost if SSG hadn't been a part of the episode.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:14 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Draconic wrote:Goku came up with the idea in the manga, when he did it against Hit. Vegeta can do it multiple times in a row, but switching from God to Blue at the last minute? All Goku.
Oh yeah. I forgot that Goku pull the old SSJG/SSJB switcheroo against Hit in the Champa arc in the manga.
That's a good point. Goku just did it once so they could still have Vegeta do it multiple times later...I guess.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:18 pm

sintzu wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
Draconic wrote:Goku came up with the idea in the manga, when he did it against Hit. Vegeta can do it multiple times in a row, but switching from God to Blue at the last minute? All Goku.
That's a good point. Goku just did it once so they could still have Vegeta do it multiple times later...I guess.
Honestly, I expect it in this arc at some point, against either Toppo or Jiren. Or maybe Dyspo himself, since he's still in.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:43 pm

Draconic wrote:Honestly, I expect it in this arc at some point, against either Toppo or Jiren. Or maybe Dyspo himself, since he's still in.
I think Dyspo should be Hit's take down. There's already an established connection between them.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:25 pm

sintzu wrote:
Draconic wrote:Honestly, I expect it in this arc at some point, against either Toppo or Jiren. Or maybe Dyspo himself, since he's still in.
I think Dyspo should be Hit's take down. There's already an established connection between them.
And established dominance. It won't mean anything if Hit takes him down later, the moment's passed for that to be a good payoff.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:40 pm

Simere wrote:It won't mean anything if Hit takes him down later, the moment's passed for that to be a good payoff.
Hit beat him and he said he'll get him back for it. they'll be more of an impact if Hit knocks him out instead of Goku.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:52 pm

sintzu wrote:
Simere wrote:It won't mean anything if Hit takes him down later, the moment's passed for that to be a good payoff.
Hit beat him and he said he'll get him back for it. they'll be more of an impact if Hit knocks him out instead of Goku.
Those sounded like throwaway lines to me. You know, like:

"I'll train hard and beat you the next time!"
<they never see each other again>

I figure it's more likely neither of them fight him again. I doubt Dyspo will bring anything new to the table the next time, so if he's going to have any value it'd have to be against another character. Unless they turn it into a comedy where Dyspo is a rabbit and Goku and Hit are racing to hunt him.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Vegeta doesnt technically need to counter Kaio-Ken in a way that shuts it down as Goku isnt his enemy at this point. They may someday have one final battle but I'm not even sure Goku will still use it by then with a deteriorating body.

What Vegeta needs is his own transformation or technique IMO.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:11 pm

Whis: "Vegeta-san, you're a combat genius yet you continue to trail behind Goku-san. Do you know why? It's because your senses are constantly on edge. That is why you can not realize your full potential at crucial moments. It's important to relax them when you can."

Whis: "You completely lack speed. It's because you both are thinking before you act. This is especially true of Vegeta-san. So your speed is being limited. It takes time for your senses and brain commands to reach your bodies. You need to teach every part of your bodies to respond on it's own."

This is the key for Vegeta. He needs to focus on that.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:24 am

In the anime they should just give Vegeta some justice by having him get MSSB while Goku still has Kaioken Blue and but is not able to obtain MSSB. Still though, I don't see this happening as Goku is getting yet another new form in the tournament. Man, Toei really jacked up the power structure between these characters.