So, how exactly does Hit's Time Skip work?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

So, how exactly does Hit's Time Skip work?

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:10 am

In the manga, it's pretty clear-cut. Hit isn't stopping time, he's just skipping 0.1 seconds ahead and, so, his movements are just 0.1 seconds faster than everyone else. That's how Goku was able to adapt, by adjusting his timing.

In the anime, in the U6 arc, they just make it seem like Hit's stopping time. We see him stopping time and being able to move while everyone else is frozen. It doesn't make sense why Goku was able to "predict" his movements, since there would be nothing to predict considering Hit would be able to attack Goku freely whilst time was stopped and change up his movements, he wasn't stuck like manga!Hit. Later when he kills an alien during his two episodes after the FT arc, he also claims that he has stopped time for everyone except himself and his target. Vados explains, when Hit's fighting Goku, that he doesn't stop time, he "skips" it, an interpretation closer to the manga, but, again, this wouldn't explain why Hit's able to change his movements when he time-skips and how Goku is able to predict it.
Last edited by Doctor. on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So, how exactly does Hit's Time Skip work?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:14 am

It's one of the most poorly explained things in the anime. Every time I think I've figured it out, something new happens to foul up my theories.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:06 am

He has variations of it... there you. Probably head canon though.

Or he takes others to that pocket dimension.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I think he encases you in a pocket dimension and within that pocket dimension he can stop or slow down time within his usual parameters.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:03 pm

Anime [Ep 38]: "...he can stop anybody else's time for just 0.1 seconds."
Manga: Goku: " You can jump forward 0.1 seconds in time, right?"
Since Hit stops his opponents for 0.1 seconds but he can still move ["skip"] for that 0.1 seconds; the anime and manga are stating the same thing.

Goku: "I predicted the moves you'd make 0.1 seconds right after you attacked."
Vegeta: "He predicted the move he'd make in 0.1 seconds."
In other words, Goku just predicted to where Hit would end up in 0.1 seconds and reacted to Hit after 0.1 seconds.
Last edited by Miracles on Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:09 pm

^ Pretty much that. I'm fairly certain that, in the anime, Gokū was predicting when Hit was going to Time Skip and where he would end up.

Personally, I think the manga would be a little more confusing than the anime if it actually was stating that Hit could literally skip time as opposed to stopping it. He would have to disappear from existence for 0.1 seconds to literally skip it.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:32 am

Anime Kitten wrote:^ Pretty much that. I'm fairly certain that, in the anime, Gokū was predicting when Hit was going to Time Skip and where he would end up.

Personally, I think the manga would be a little more confusing than the anime if it actually was stating that Hit could literally skip time as opposed to stopping it. He would have to disappear from existence for 0.1 seconds to literally skip it.
I figured it was something like King Crimson from JJBA Part 5.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:29 am

Miracles wrote: In other words, Goku just predicted to where Hit would end up in 0.1 seconds and reacted to Hit after 0.1 seconds.
See, this is what I don't get. 0.1 seconds is more than enough time for Hit to attack Goku a couple of times, yet the Time Skip always stops right before Hit attacks.

I don't think the manga and anime state the same thing. In the manga, Goku says he can't change his movements when using the technique, because he's literally skipping time, he's just doing what he already was going to do but 0.1 seconds earlier. That's how he's able to predict. In the anime he freezes time.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:28 am

It's a bit like an online game's lag: you see the opponent skip, when everything is frozen for the other player, and you're allowed to move. Goku has simply sped up his connection. You can react to a frozen frame without knowing what the following one will be, and the game will only update with the last thing you did, according to the other player.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Miracles wrote: In other words, Goku just predicted to where Hit would end up in 0.1 seconds and reacted to Hit after 0.1 seconds.
See, this is what I don't get. 0.1 seconds is more than enough time for Hit to attack Goku a couple of times, yet the Time Skip always stops right before Hit attacks.

I don't think the manga and anime state the same thing. In the manga, Goku says he can't change his movements when using the technique, because he's literally skipping time, he's just doing what he already was going to do but 0.1 seconds earlier. That's how he's able to predict. In the anime he freezes time.
1. Jaco states in both anime and manga that Hit freezes time for his opponents but not himself. They also say Hit can not change his movements up that easily.
2. Time stop gives Hit an advantage to get the jump on his opponents only. Goku attacks, Hit freezes that attack; In 0.1 seconds, Hit moves to counter, at the same time Goku is predicting where Hit would try and attack, allowing Goku to defend after the skip.
Last edited by Miracles on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:10 pm

The biggest beef I have with his time skip is how does he actually perceive reality while in that state?
The anime depicts it as him being the only one to observe his target & move while they appear frozen, similar to Guldo. However if he is skipping time then shouldn't that mean his perception changes to one second forward instantaneously as if the temporal gap of a single second never existed from his point of view, like a missing frame? Or does he somehow 'see' what happens a second in advance and just knows to counter immediately as if its a form of precognition?
It cannot be the latter because then he'd know when an attack in imminent, dodge, and then could not be struck...unless he is simply fated to be struck?? It has to be something along the lines of the former for him to be caught off guard and fought in hand to hand combat as Goku & Dyspo have done with him...to make sense.
Toriyama & Toei really wrote themselves into a corner with the exact nature of his ability.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:41 am

Miracles wrote:1. Jaco states in both anime and manga that Hit freezes time for his opponents but not himself. They also say Hit can not change his movements up that easily.
They only state that he can't change his movements in the manga, not in the anime, which is where my problem with anime!Hit's power comes from. If he can change up his movements, then Goku predicting him is impossible.
Miracles wrote:2. Time stop gives Hit an advantage to get the jump on his opponents only. Goku attacks, Hit freezes that attack; In 0.1 seconds, Hit moves to counter, at the same time Goku is predicting where Hit would try and attack, allowing Goku to defend after the skip.
That's not the issue. The issue is that Hit, in those 0.1 seconds of frozen time, has enough time to attack Goku (we've seen Jackie Chun and Kuririn do more in the same amount of time). Goku shouldn't even be able to predict him. We saw, when Hit improved to 0.5 seconds, Hit attacking him with multiple punches whilst time was frozen. He should be able to do the exact same thing with 0.1, especially when at close distance.

For Goku to predict his movements, you have to assume that: Hit stops time whilst Goku prepares himself -> goes in for the blow -> time resumes before he can land his hit and Goku blocks/dodges. When the logical sequence of events should be: Hit stops time whilst Goku prepares himself -> attacks him whilst time is frozen -> time resumes and Goku feels the impact of the blows.

You have to ignore common sense and believe that Hit doesn't have enough time to attack Goku before his Time-Skip runs out in order to make sense of Goku "predicting" him.

Again, this issue isn't present in the manga because he's just "skipping" time, not freezing anything. He can't change his movements, they're just 0.1 seconds faster when he uses the technique, so Goku adjusted his timing to compensate.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:47 pm

Doctor. wrote:They only state that he can't change his movements in the manga, not in the anime, which is where my problem with anime!Hit's power comes from. If he can change up his movements, then Goku predicting him is impossible.
Hit: "You revealed your secret to me. So, now I can move in an different, unpredictable way."
Goku: "NO. To change your reaction in a short amount of time, is not that easy."~Episode 39
That's not the issue. The issue is that Hit, in those 0.1 seconds of frozen time, has enough time to attack Goku (we've seen Jackie Chun and Kuririn do more in the same amount of time). Goku shouldn't even be able to predict him. We saw, when Hit improved to 0.5 seconds, Hit attacking him with multiple punches whilst time was frozen. He should be able to do the exact same thing with 0.1, especially when at close distance.

For Goku to predict his movements, you have to assume that: Hit stops time whilst Goku prepares himself -> goes in for the blow -> time resumes before he can land his hit and Goku blocks/dodges. When the logical sequence of events should be: Hit stops time whilst Goku prepares himself -> attacks him whilst time is frozen -> time resumes and Goku feels the impact of the blows.

You have to ignore common sense and believe that Hit doesn't have enough time to attack Goku before his Time-Skip runs out in order to make sense of Goku "predicting" him.

Again, this issue isn't present in the manga because he's just "skipping" time, not freezing anything. He can't change his movements, they're just 0.1 seconds faster when he uses the technique, so Goku adjusted his timing to compensate.
The story states that 0.1 seconds isn't enough time for Hit to attack.
You think so, the story states otherwise.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:52 am

Miracles wrote: Hit: "You revealed your secret to me. So, now I can move in an different, unpredictable way."
Goku: "NO. To change your reaction in a short amount of time, is not that easy."~Episode 39
And there's Hit saying he can.
The story states that 0.1 seconds isn't enough time for Hit to attack.
You think so, the story states otherwise.
That doesn't negate the issue, the story is blatantly contradicting something that happened in the beginning of the series.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:05 pm

There's no way that Hit's too slow to get to Goku and smack him about with just a tenth of a second, isn't the excuse for the Top arc that "everyone's fighting at insanely fast super speeds"?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:52 pm

Doctor. wrote:And there's Hit saying he can.
Immediately being contradicted by Goku.
That doesn't negate the issue, the story is blatantly contradicting something that happened in the beginning of the series.
Where?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Miracles wrote:Where?
21st Budokai. Jackie Chun and Kuririn doing several moves in 0.2 seconds.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:17 pm

Doctor. wrote:
That story point obviously wasn't continued.
Doubt if Toriyama would even remember.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Miracles wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
That doesn't really excuse the problem of Hit being too slow to thwack Goku a few dozen times upside the head in a tenth of a second when early, early DB people can do just that. It's the speed equivalent of Omega Shenron blowing up a city being treated as a big deal.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:00 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Doctor. wrote: 21st Budokai. Jackie Chun and Kuririn doing several moves in 0.2 seconds.
That doesn't really excuse the problem of Hit being too slow to thwack Goku a few dozen times upside the head in a tenth of a second when early, early DB people can do just that. It's the speed equivalent of Omega Shenron blowing up a city being treated as a big deal.
Doesn't change the fact that Hit attacks after 0.1 seconds.