So, how exactly does Hit's Time Skip work?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Speedster
Regular

Re: So, how exactly does Hit's Time Skip work?

Post by Speedster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:37 am

From episode 72:
Vados: Do you know why Hit’s attack is called Time-Skip?
Champa: Because he stops time, right?
Vados: He’s not actually stopping time. To be exact he’s skipping time.
Champa: What’s “skipping time”?
Vados: And Hit can store the time he’s skipped.
Champa: So what is that?
Vados: And with that stored time, he can create a separate space, a parallel world. And he can freely move to and from there. That’s why he can be seen but not touched.
Goku (while fighting Hit): You’re somewhere else when you get attacked aren’t you?!
Hit: Exactly.
Goku: But you can’t attack staying there! That’s why you come back here when attackin’. I aimed for that moment!
Hit: It’s not that I can’t attack. (and proceeds to use one of his assassination moves of what seemed like punching through the dimensional barrier). I can do an attack like this.
Goku: You really are amazin’!
Although that is the correct explanation as it is applicable to the variant of the time-skip he used in episode 72, the explanation that would make sense would be to say this: Hit, by skipping time, creates a pocket time-space continuum where he can stay for as long as the skip is. For a 0.1s time-skip, Hit can stay in that pocket dimension for up to 0.1s but during that interval he can freely move in and out of it in order to attack. Goku tries to predict where Hit will hit next and aims for that point of re-introduction in order to counter.

Also it's worth noting that in episode 104, Dyspo was countering the timeskip by quickly attacking Hit before using it. It takes Hit a brief instant to initiate toki-tobashi and Dyspo, being able to detect that moment (by detecting the characteristic frequency), was using his great speed to attack Hit while he was trying to perform the technique's initiation.

Regarder
Regular

Post by Regarder » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:42 am

The thing that would make the most sense is for Hit to skip ahead, since that explains why he was disappearing completely before he attacked. He was disappearing into this dimension of time and then reappearing in the future for a total surprise attack right in the opponents face, and later learned to attack through that dimension. Like what Speedster said. It's pretty clear that what Hit actually does, however, is any combination of time manipulation the writers can come up with. I think that makes him fundamentally poorly written as a fighting character, because it gives less meaning to Goku being clever about fighting him. When they portray it as a time freeze Goku just has to outpower it, whereas if it's him reappearing in the future, Goku can predict his hidden movements to intercept him when he reappears, and that means you have to have skill to fight Hit, and it's not just MORE POWER ARRRG. That made Hit seem unique and interesting when he first appeared. Unfortunately, none of the writers kept straight how his power actually works. Wasted potential.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:20 am

Regarder wrote:The thing that would make the most sense is for Hit to skip ahead, since that explains why he was disappearing completely before he attacked. He was disappearing into this dimension of time and then reappearing in the future for a total surprise attack right in the opponents face, and later learned to attack through that dimension. Like what Speedster said. It's pretty clear that what Hit actually does, however, is any combination of time manipulation the writers can come up with. I think that makes him fundamentally poorly written as a fighting character, because it gives less meaning to Goku being clever about fighting him. When they portray it as a time freeze Goku just has to outpower it, whereas if it's him reappearing in the future, Goku can predict his hidden movements to intercept him when he reappears, and that means you have to have skill to fight Hit, and it's not just MORE POWER ARRRG. That made Hit seem unique and interesting when he first appeared. Unfortunately, none of the writers kept straight how his power actually works. Wasted potential.
I would have preferred if they actually did your interpration of Hit skipping forwards into the future than simply "stopping time".

Thankfully, Hit still has his "Phantom Assasination Techniques" in the anime, which are generally far more interesting.

In the anime, you could say that Goku blocks before Hit's time-skip, or goes for counters immediately after recieving the blow(like Gohan did against Obuni).

However, the time-skip has become super-broken in the anime with Hit's whole improvement thing. Hit can now just end a fight by skipping time once and beating the crap out of his opponent while they are unable to act, it's completely broken.

I will say though that episode 104 came up with a decent counter to it, by having the time-skip have a small instant of prep time in which his vulnerable, though Hit did overcome this weakness.

So yeah, Hit's completely unbeatable now, there is literally nothing anyone with normal martial arts can do against him. RIP all the universes.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:04 pm

Would it be accurate to say Time Skip is just called as such because an outside observer would see someone pop from one place to another that defies even the DB standard of poping in and out of existence? The actually ability clearly shows Hit freezing people in place then proceeding to do whatever he wants to them inside that pocket dimension of his just like DIOs the World.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Considering the contradictions in the power I'd say that Hit's time skip is like the Crimson King's Time Erase Power in JoJo.

Simple put in both cases even the aurthurs dont really know how it works.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:05 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Would it be accurate to say Time Skip is just called as such because an outside observer would see someone pop from one place to another that defies even the DB standard of poping in and out of existence? The actually ability clearly shows Hit freezing people in place then proceeding to do whatever he wants to them inside that pocket dimension of his just like DIOs the World.
Not exactly. Hit's Time-Skip, the signature technique, DOES skip through time, but by a very miniscule amount compared to real-time. Less than a second, in fact. Most beings barely even move within that time-frame.

By the time Hit reaches real-space again, his target would've barely moved, if at all. Tell me, what human-like being could significantly move within 0.5 seconds? Not a lot beyond super fast martial artists like this franchise's.

We get explanations later on that clarify this, since he CAN freeze time, but needs to store up enough real-space time from skipping through it with his Time-Skip to do so.