Are they afraid of using Boo?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Are they afraid of using Boo?

Post by Doctor. » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Boo has slept through 3 out of 5 major arcs by now and wasn't even present in one of them. This means that in four arcs, Boo has done absolutely nothing. What gives? Are they afraid of using Boo's character because they can't balance out his power? Is he just boring to the audience and the staff realizes this?

LightBing
I Live Here

Re: Are they afraid of using Boo?

Post by LightBing » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:59 pm

The author has absolutely no interest in using the character, besides coming up with the now recurring joke.

Taking into account how the character was added to the cast a few chapters before the manga ended, it's reasonable to assume there's was never any intention of using him, besides paring him up with Mr.Satan for the tournament shenanigans and obviously saving him from becoming a victim of the Boo Arc.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:23 pm

Which is idiotic, because they hyped Buu up about entering two tournaments and even put him on all the promotional material and adverts and opening/endings only to pull the plug in the last minute and do a bait and switch.

I don't know what Toriyama is thinking. The only good thing Buu is for nowadays IS fighting, so I don't know why they're not using him. Buu has so many unique attacks, abilities, and is a shape shifter that they can do stuff with him you can't do with the other main cast.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Toriyama sees Majin Boo as a gag character. Nothing more, nothing less. He ultimately has no serious plans for the character other than using him to set up a joke. And to be fair, Toriyama made it abundantly clear in Resurrection F who among the supporting cast he actually gives a damn about. And that is Piccolo, Krillin, Tien and Roshi. The roster of the Universe 7 team in the Tournament Of Power epitomizes this with how Majin Boo was sidelined again. He just has no interest in Majin Boo.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:27 pm

Personally I wouldn't mind that if they didn't keep bait and switching him in the tournaments, and promote him on advertisements/scans and openings/endings months before the tournaments start.

Disgusting. It's also bizarre because Buu is still one of the most powerful beings in U7, and using a character with that sheer mass of power would give them an advantage. No way would Buu have performed any worse at the tournament than the humans.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:37 pm

He is hax.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:45 pm

He's not really. Buu could be defeated easily, and don't forget he's a lot weaker now than he was when he hatched in the Buu arc due to expelling all the evil out of him.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:12 pm

Not scared, i'd say they are not interessed. The only reason he actually wasn't killed is to make Satan win the Budokais tbh.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:34 am

Yeah I suppose they are. Due to his abilities he can keep up with God level opponents, Creating Opponents that could oppose Buu would mean more headaches for Goku and Vegeta to defeat if Buu can't beat them, which while would make for pretty entertaining battles and give us some depth, I guess it's just too much work. Because I'm sure Toei can strongarm Toriyama and Toyotaro in putting Buu in something, even if Toriyama writes him off as a gag and nothing more.

Nocky

Post by Nocky » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:09 am

Hmm... Has (Fat) Boo been anything but a gag character... ever? He has no personality to speak of, and his appearance isn't cool enough to rely on for moving merchandise. Maybe it's just me, but I've never been led to think we could expect Boo to become a foreground character whose power we should take seriously. The fact he has this impressive power but is always irrevocably asleep at the critical moment is completely in line with the kind of character he's been built up to be.

I have to laugh remembering how Boo is introduced in the first place... Bobbidi had devoted his life to waking the guy up!

I don't think Freeza was necessarily the ideal 10th member when there are plenty of protagonists that are overdue the spotlight, but his personality makes him a far more interesting character to watch, and I think lends more to the plot than Boo could have.

Captain Strawberry
Advanced Regular

Post by Captain Strawberry » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:52 am

precita wrote:He's not really. Buu could be defeated easily, and don't forget he's a lot weaker now than he was when he hatched in the Buu arc due to expelling all the evil out of him.
He is very tanky.

If you blow him up without trying to kill him, he will regenerate if any of his blop is still alive.

He can turn people to candy.

He can somewhat shapeshift.

He can absorb people.

He would be hard to take down without killing him.
Kuro Tenshi

I am just a simple traveller

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:45 pm

He's too stupid to actually get any use out of in tournaments, is what Super seems to be trying to convey. If there's another threat to Earth, it'd be cool to see him fight.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:01 pm

Toriyama's treatment of Buu is one of the biggest flaws of Super.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:53 pm

precita wrote:Personally I wouldn't mind that if they didn't keep bait and switching him in the tournaments, and promote him on advertisements/scans and openings/endings months before the tournaments start.
I laughed because Buu got a huge amount of advertisment everywhere as a member of the team, but then suddenly... FREEZA :lol:

They went even as far as to make a Slim Version of Buu just for the lulz.

Knew it was all over when I've seen Buu sleeping in Boogie Back :P

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:04 pm

It's sickening, that's what it is. Like nobody cared Buu wasn't in Return of F because there was no promotion of him and nobody expected him to be there. So him sleeping for that didn't bother anyone.

But to do the same thing two tournaments in a row? It's a disgrace. It's insulting to the audience. Toriyama should retire to the bahamas!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:09 pm

I think they just don't know how to use him so they don't want to have him just to have him. Keep in mind that DB ended when he was brought back and it was moslt likely done to end things on a positave note, not to set him up as a future Z fighter.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:02 pm

Honestly, I'd give anything for a non-main mini-arc dedicated to fleshing out Majin Buu as a member of the cast.

Although I'm fine with how Freeza turned out, I still wish that the three T's (Toriyama, Toyotaro, Toei) had stuck it through and just tried to get some usage out of Buu, if only for the Tournament of Power. This tournament was looking to make every character relevant and cool in some way, but Buu? He doesn't get to have any spotlight.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:04 pm

I feel like Toriyama doesn't really care about Buu as a fighter (well at least to a higher extent than Gohan or Tien), and Buu would be pretty hard to balance out since he has such overpowered abilities.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:11 am

Boo is kinda boring and there's plenty of more interesting characters deserving of screentime. He got a moment to shine in that exhibition match...that was enough.

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:15 am

Buu is 2 broken, he would've won the tournament instantly turning people in candy and absorbing them into his being. Since you can't kill him or knock him off stage (he an use his shape to create wings and fly back on stage) there's no way of beating him