Strongest DBZ character that DBS Master Roshi could defeat?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Strongest DBZ character that DBS Master Roshi could defeat?

Post by RichardKing2 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Using everything we know from DBS Master Roshi(including the latest episode), who do you feel is the strongest character in DBZ, that he could defeat in a 1 vs 1 fight? Or to categorize it:Who is the strongest hero and villain he could defeat in Z?

Hero:

Villain:

precita
Banned

Re: Strongest DBZ character that DBS Master Roshi could defeat?

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:04 pm

I'd say Super Roshi is, at best, on the level of Saiyan Saga Vegeta now. That's probably being generous, but Ganos gave me the impression he's on Nappa's level of power.

You have to remember Roshi's wins in Super are all technique based, rather than power based. Aside from Ganos, all the others he defeated by techniques rather than raw power. Besides maybe that green parrot but he looked incredibly weak. He froze a guy and then Tien blew him off, the girl was chased off the stage without actually fighting her, and he trapped the demon/vampire lady in the bottle.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:05 pm

The best we've seen from Roshi so far is him sucker punching Tien into a building and holding his own against Base Goku. But Base Goku's strength fluctuates greatly in the show given we've see him take on characters in his base form that could easily beat up SSJ3 Gotenks, while at the same time, Krillin gave Goku in his base form a run for his money.

My brain tells me this:

Hero: Goku (post King Kai training)

Villain: Vegeta (Saiyan arc)

But my gut tells me this:

Hero: Tien (Cell arc)

Villain: Third Form Freeza (Namek arc)

ssbgoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ssbgoku » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The best we've seen from Roshi so far is him sucker punching Tien into a building and holding his own against Base Goku. But Base Goku's strength fluctuates greatly in the show given we've see him take on characters in his base form that could easily beat up SSJ3 Gotenks, while at the same time, Krillin gave Goku in his base form a run for his money.

My brain tells me this:

But my gut tells me this:

Hero: Tien (Cell arc)

Villain: Third Form Freeza (Namek arc)
I completly second it. actually leaning more towards what your brain told you :D

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:13 pm

DBS Roshi being able to punk Ten, who had defeated Burter & Jeice in Namek filler, leads me to believe that Roshi is around the level that Goku & Ginyu were at in their fight.
You could put Roshi anywhere between 90,000-120,000 in his max power state.

Poor Raditz, even the power of SSJ wouldn't boost him up enough to take on Roshi. Lawl.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:45 pm

Roshi didn't defeat Tien or fight on par with Goku. He surprised Tien with one attack and Goku barely uses any of his power.

That's like saying Kid Trunks is stronger than Fat Buu because he kicked him out of the way when he was standing over Vegeta in the Buu arc.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:27 pm

precita wrote:Roshi didn't defeat Tien or fight on par with Goku. He surprised Tien with one attack and Goku barely uses any of his power.

That's like saying Kid Trunks is stronger than Fat Buu because he kicked him out of the way when he was standing over Vegeta in the Buu arc.
I watched the fight again, Roshi and Ten had a quick trade of blows and then Roshi sent Ten flying into a building. Ten got back up and used the Shiyoken but was knocked to his feet by Roshi's max power and almost killed by a kamehameha until Goku used instantaneous movement to deflect it. Goku comments that Roshi's max power is incredible and he does want to continue their spar but needs to end the fight, Roshi ends up caught off guard by Goku's kamehameha due to Yurin being distracted via Chaotzu and losing control of Roshi. Free of control, Roshi faints from Goku's kamehameha but is otherwise unharmed.
However you want to argue it, Roshi came close to defeating Ten if not for Goku and was defeated due to being unable to brace Goku's attack.

Kid Trunks kicking Fat Boo isn't a particularly valid comparison because Roshi didn't simply strike Ten while he wasn't looking but while Ten was in fight mode against him, bear in mind this was normal power Roshi as well. Goku also was counting on Ten to distract Yurin while he powered up his kamehameha to use on the off guard Roshi.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Hm... Stronger than Ginyu is pretty much the baseline for me considering Yo Son Goku is canon and i don't watch Super. Considering what i hear about him defeating Tenshinhan, and the fact he's actually relevant for the plot, he would slaugh everyone on the 1st half of the series. And quoting a friend of mine from other forum:
Roshi vs SSjin Kids wrote:Considering Roshi likely isn't too far behind Kuririn, who can put up a fight against Zen Exhibition Base Gohan, Roshi zero-diffs in his base form.
So yeah, Roshi is an absolute monster.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:11 pm

We don't know how strong any of these new characters are so it's hard to say. Maybe stronger than Saiyan saga Piccolo and Nappa.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Post by LowRyder2005 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:24 am

Should we imagine this as "if this Roshi was in Z"?

They'd have him helpless to compete against anyone, because fights in Z were dick contests à la "my power level is bigger than yours". In Super - a series in which, let's remind everyone, a Krillin who can't beat base Gohan can resist for a second against SSB Goku some minutes - it might be not that farfetched for this or that author to see Roshi get by against the weaker fighters by establishing, impromptu, that he understand the fighters' movements perfectly even though he himself implies the rest of the team and most of his opponents had the edge in raw power. To them it makes up for entertaining writing, but you can rest assured that if this or that person really wanted to make Roshi relevant in Z they'd have him through some strange ritual in which his "power level" multiplied exponentially and not some off-hand remark that he "trained on his island" off-screen.

But this is an in-univere forum, let's adopt the in-universe rationale. By hypothesizing he constantly trained in secret from when he "retired", alone and/or with Krillin, I personally have him between Nappa and Vegeta in his normal form and slightly weaker than Ginyu in his 100% form (the biggest difference being than other than a substantial increase in power he can finally move in it, as per what was established in ROF). Of course, every time some threat surfaced he was too weak to take part into the fight. It's pretty much easier to reconcile this compared to other, extreme assumptions that undermine any narrative consistency within the older and the newer material.

Gog
I Live Here

Post by Gog » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:51 am

To start on who Master Roshi is now capable of defeating, I would have said that he is incapable of performing anything greater than what he was capable of in Early Dragon Ball. But Super has thrown out the statement that he's effectively been training in secret, again (which contradicts what he stated in Early Dragon Ball). But, even with that monkey wrench, the best showing strength from Super!Roshi has is easily beating up Ten, and apparently going up against Goku, all while under the influence of Yurin's magic.

Which empowered him, enabling him to actually preform those actions in the first place, so I find it best to not, you know accept those moments as what his character is capable of on a daily basis. And how strong he got because of his secret training? It's all literally guess work on how strong he got, he could have gotten drastically stronger, or hardly made any progress at all. So, I'd put him below Tenshinan from the Start of the Saiyan arc, because Roshi was nearing his limit in what he could do, and even admitted that he just couldn't keep up with the next generation.

caiojoorge

Post by caiojoorge » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:31 pm

Ok, let's face it. Roshi is old (quite old), and he was almost 350 in early Dragon Ball. For up to now, as far as we know, he hadn't trained constantly before Goku and Krilin. After them, he trained a little for the tournaments, aaaand at the end of DB and beggining of DBZ, he has 139 of power level. (against Raditz - 1200)
Let's say that he created a routine of training since then until now.

My brain says: at maximum 20.000 pl. (enough to beat Vegeta - Saiyan Arc)

The point is: Roshi isn't stronger than the most of fighters from tournament of power, and he says it loud. He IS in this tournament only because his experience and techniques. (remember his age)
So, it doesn't matter how much strong he is at the end.

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:13 pm

He is as strong as the plot makes him. He literally asspulled last episode beating the Duck guy (He gets stronger every second).

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:57 am

He could defeat the Ginyu Force with a bit of luck and trickery.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:29 am

Actually, no one. Bukujutsu is essential in Z.

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:My brain tells me this:

This for me.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:Actually, no one. Bukujutsu is essential in Z.
By that logic Videl could beat him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:15 pm

He could defeat Dr. Uiro and Oozaru Saiyan saga Vegeta.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:36 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Ranmaru Rei wrote:Actually, no one. Bukujutsu is essential in Z.
By that logic Videl could beat him.
No, by that logic he can not beat Videl, because she is out of reach. «Can she beat Roshi?» is completely another question.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Ranmaru Rei wrote:No, by that logic he can not beat Videl, because she is out of reach.
Say it with me:

Ka

Me

Ha

Me

Ha