Does Namekian Regeneration Not Heal Circulatory Shock Or Other Effects Of Injuries?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Does Namekian Regeneration Not Heal Circulatory Shock Or Other Effects Of Injuries?

Post by theherodjl » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:33 pm

Its been said by Piccolo that he, and presumably other Namekians, can heal any injury so as long as his head is unharmed. However, this ability seems to have a limitation.
Namekians are still capable of death even if their heads remain undamaged. Just look at Piccolo having died from a Ki blast by Nappa, as well as Warrior Namekians being killed by Dodoria & Freeza via attacks that didn't specifically target the heads. This leads me to believe that while Namekians are very endurant to pain as they can stand or slowly recuperate after parts of their bodies are lost in a battle, eventually their internal anatomy is simply unable to compensate if struck with an immense force.
If Namekians do experience circulatory shock similar to humans & Saiyans, then it would certainly why they may die even if they keep their heads.
...Right?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Does Namekian Regeneration Not Heal Circulatory Shock Or Other Effects Of Injuries?

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:14 am

Interesting theory. You may be on to something.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Does Namekian Regeneration Not Heal Circulatory Shock Or Other Effects Of Injuries?

Post by rereboy » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:03 am

I've always interpreted it the following manner: a Namekian can still receive too much trauma to his body from a too powerful Ki source (either physical imbued with Ki or purely Ki) to be able to heal, even if his head is intact. The shock of that Ki impact reverberates through all of his body and his regeneration can't compensate the trauma caused.

The regeneration of Cell and Buu are more evolved and can bypass these reverberating effect mostly or in full.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 pm

I think Piccolo's death was an inconsistency now that I think of it. Cell, who had Namekian blood, survived much more than that Ki blast, so Akira Toriyama probably wasn't thinking about regeneration in that case.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:58 pm

floofychan333 wrote:I think Piccolo's death was an inconsistency now that I think of it. Cell, who had Namekian blood, survived much more than that Ki blast, so Akira Toriyama probably wasn't thinking about regeneration in that case.
Cell had better regeneration than any Namekian, though. Dr. Gero seemed to have improved that trait in him.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 pm

I always saw the Namekian regeneration as requiring a chunk of your own energy to pull off, and this is directly stated by Raditz and Frieza when they witness this. In the case of Piccolo defending Gohan, he had already been expending a lot of his energy prior to that and probably didn't have any left to use. Come to think of it, he didn't explicitly lose any limbs to Nappa either, which falls outside his ability to heal.

An interesting case would be Goku punching a hole through King Piccolo; while regeneration obviously hadn't been written in at this point, I think the "too weak to grow back" can still apply to that, and it's also probable that King Piccolo didn't even know he could do that at the time, similar to Cell initially.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:02 am

KBABZ wrote:I always saw the Namekian regeneration as requiring a chunk of your own energy to pull off, and this is directly stated by Raditz and Frieza when they witness this. In the case of Piccolo defending Gohan, he had already been expending a lot of his energy prior to that and probably didn't have any left to use. Come to think of it, he didn't explicitly lose any limbs to Nappa either, which falls outside his ability to heal.

An interesting case would be Goku punching a hole through King Piccolo; while regeneration obviously hadn't been written in at this point, I think the "too weak to grow back" can still apply to that, and it's also probable that King Piccolo didn't even know he could do that at the time, similar to Cell initially.
There was at least one Namek killed by Dodoria by going through his chest.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 am

rereboy wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I always saw the Namekian regeneration as requiring a chunk of your own energy to pull off, and this is directly stated by Raditz and Frieza when they witness this. In the case of Piccolo defending Gohan, he had already been expending a lot of his energy prior to that and probably didn't have any left to use. Come to think of it, he didn't explicitly lose any limbs to Nappa either, which falls outside his ability to heal.

Hmm, correct... It's almost as if it was made up that one time for effect!

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:46 am

KBABZ wrote:
rereboy wrote:

Hmm, correct... It's almost as if it was made up that one time for effect!
Nah, we are talking in-universe, and in-universe, I believe that the only possible logical answer is a Namekian can still receive too much trauma to his body from a too powerful Ki source (either physical imbued with Ki or purely Ki) to be able to heal, even if his head is intact, as I've said earlier. Otherwise, it seems inconsistent. Cell and Buu are different from an actual Namekian.

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Post by apex_pretador » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:04 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:I think Piccolo's death was an inconsistency now that I think of it. Cell, who had Namekian blood, survived much more than that Ki blast, so Akira Toriyama probably wasn't thinking about regeneration in that case.
Cell had better regeneration than any Namekian, though. Dr. Gero seemed to have improved that trait in him.
Probably because he had Freeza's cells too, the same guy who can survive when cut in pieces.
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:08 pm

Collision and kinetic trauma seem like they would be fatally detrimental if inflicted in large enough amounts, yes. We also never see the Namekians exposed to an airless vacuum like Space so the implication there might be that they're not anatomically capable of surviving without atmospheric pressure and oxygen, just like the earthlings and Saiyans. Biological poisons can also affect them since Frost was able to disorientate Piccolo with his sleight of hand needle; this would lead me to believe that Namekians are subject to biological damage as well. Could they regenerate from it? It would necessitate being able to consciously regenerate on a cellular level to overwhelm any toxins in the bloodstream.

Another interesting fact is that while Namekians might be loosely based on gastropods, they apparently aren't susceptible to dehydration since Piccolo was registered with a pretty good heat signature in the recent episode and could stand being close to intense radiating magma pools. I guess this should have been obvious to the reader when Piccolo came out of the RoSaT by enduring its rigours, including the intense heat extremities the room is capable of generating.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Lionel wrote:Another interesting fact is that while Namekians might be loosely based on gastropods, they apparently aren't susceptible to dehydration since Piccolo was registered with a pretty good heat signature in the recent episode and could stand being close to intense radiating magma pools. I guess this should have been obvious to the reader when Piccolo came out of the RoSaT by enduring its rigours, including the intense heat extremities the room is capable of generating.
Well it's possible that a Namekian not trained to use ki might be more susceptible to that kind of stuff.