Do Namekians need sleep?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

heldheld

Do Namekians need sleep?

Post by heldheld » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:55 pm

I know, I know.. Namekians are already the most boring people imaginable; they don't eat, only drink water, have only one gender, they all look alike, no hair, no music, no art in any way, shape or form, the most boring planet ever etc. That planet even has 3 suns so they never even experience nighttime on Namek!! This last point got me thinking though, in my memory I've never seen a Namekian sleeping.. Do they even need sleep? Their homes don't even seem to have beds right? What do you guys think?

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Re: Do Namekians need sleep?

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:02 pm

You'd think they might do music, but whisteling already hurts, so why bother at all. Maybe King Piccolo's spawn was in a band though. They are named after instruments after all. WAIT, PICCOLO IS A FLUTE INSTRUMENT :o This makes no goddamn sense. But yeah, Namekians MUST be so boring that they don't even sleep. They MUST be.

Ranmaru Rei
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ranmaru Rei » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Actually, Piccolo can eat. He just don't need to.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have to poop either

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Probably not, although I like to imagine that's what Piccolo is doing when he meditates.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:33 am

GigaDrill wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have to poop either
My god Namekians are boring! What do they even do?! What is their culture?!! I just look at this emoji ( :sick: ) and think.... yeah, that's a Namekian.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:02 am

worldmonsters wrote:
GigaDrill wrote:Wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have to poop either
My god Namekians are boring! What do they even do?! What is their culture?!! I just look at this emoji ( :sick: ) and think.... yeah, that's a Namekian.
I bet rebellious youth rip off their limbs just because they can and can regenerate afterwards :lol:

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:42 am

You realize the planet Namek we saw was still recovering from a catastrophe that destroyed their civilization with the exception of the Grand Elder and the Nameless Namekian.

The Namekians were advanced enough to explore space and Namek used to be a beautiful planet full of trees, the ones they are planting in the Namek arc.
I dare to say they have more to offer, circumstances simply didn't allowed it.

I don't see how them not eating or having hair makes them boring..., personal opinion, I guess. To me some of these characteristics makes them unique and interesting.
They don't diverge much from the Saiyans honestly. Who just love fighting, eat a lot and..., that's about it. Oh, their hair is always the same.

Can they sleep? No way to confirm, Piccolo seemed to be sleeping/resting when he was watching Gohan at night.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 am

Pretty sure Krillin and Dende slept, when they were on their way to the Grand Elder's.
Also yeah, they most likely don't poop, since they only need water. Namekians, that eat, probably need to poop though.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:23 pm

Namekian culture was never explored, there was also that great catastrophe as well! Maybe the grand elder preferred peaceful and boring to what possibly was namek?
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

DBMods

Post by DBMods » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:28 pm

They do need sleep. Keep in mind that the Nameless Namekian had a bed prepared with his "normal Namekian " spaceship.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:50 pm

DBMods wrote:They do need sleep. Keep in mind that the Nameless Namekian had a bed prepared with his "normal Namekian " spaceship.
That could have been just for resting comfortably.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 am

Also yeah, they most likely don't poop, since they only need water. Namekians, that eat, probably need to poop though.
I always figured that a species that only lives on water wouldn't even have the parts for making solid waste (unless maybe they evolved from a species that did need to eat/poop and just haven't completely lost that side of their digestive system yet), so instead of pooping a Namekian would sweat out all the impurities from whatever they ate. So they'd just have extra smelly sweat for the next day or so after eating. Piccolo does seem to be shown sweating quite a lot from what I remember, and we know Daimao and Kami both ate, so maybe Piccolo did too until he found out about the "we only need water" thing later on.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:14 am

Pantalones wrote:
I always figured that a species that only lives on water wouldn't even have the parts for making solid waste (unless maybe they evolved from a species that did need to eat/poop and just haven't completely lost that side of their digestive system yet), so instead of pooping a Namekian would sweat out all the impurities from whatever they ate. So they'd just have extra smelly sweat for the next day or so after eating. Piccolo does seem to be shown sweating quite a lot from what I remember, and we know Daimao and Kami both ate, so maybe Piccolo did too until he found out about the "we only need water" thing later on.
I don't know why, but I'm now imagining Piccolo with brown sweat coming off of him after eating :lol:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:05 pm

worldmonsters wrote:You'd think they might do music, but whisteling already hurts, so why bother at all. Maybe King Piccolo's spawn was in a band though. They are named after instruments after all. WAIT, PICCOLO IS A FLUTE INSTRUMENT :o This makes no goddamn sense. But yeah, Namekians MUST be so boring that they don't even sleep. They MUST be.
I would be down to make a Namekian-themed band with whoever wants to. We'd dress up like Namekians and cover DB insert songs as well as do instrumentals of Kikuchi BGMs.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:59 pm

floofychan333 wrote:
worldmonsters wrote:You'd think they might do music, but whisteling already hurts, so why bother at all. Maybe King Piccolo's spawn was in a band though. They are named after instruments after all. WAIT, PICCOLO IS A FLUTE INSTRUMENT :o This makes no goddamn sense. But yeah, Namekians MUST be so boring that they don't even sleep. They MUST be.
I would be down to make a Namekian-themed band with whoever wants to. We'd dress up like Namekians and cover DB insert songs as well as do instrumentals of Kikuchi BGMs.
And that's when the Saiyans drop in doing metal covers of Falcouner music!

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:25 am

Sleep is supposed to help with cognitive function, hormonal balances, and physical health. I don't see why Namekians would be any different in that respect since they do have brains and presumably hormones of some variety. Now on the issue of waste secretion, I agree with the theory of Namekians possibly excreting excess water through their sweat glands. Otherwise, they would have to have some kind of opening to filter out the excess liquid and toxins from their body.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:35 am

Do slugs sleep? Serious question; I have no idea.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:48 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Do slugs sleep? Serious question; I have no idea.
A quick Google search yields that they do in fact sleep. Snails follow a two to three day sleeping period rather than a 24-hour cycle, with clusters of around seven bouts of sleeping over a 13-15 hour period followed by over 30 hours of uninterrupted activity.

...Can we apply that to Piccolo?

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 pm

You know, I sometimes think people take the slug thing a little too seriously? Toriyama literally said he didn't think too hard about it when coming up with the name and only made the connection because of the antennae. I mean, Saiyans aren't vegetables either...