The Great Saiyaman was the best thing to ever happen to Gohan.

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MatureGambino

The Great Saiyaman was the best thing to ever happen to Gohan.

Post by MatureGambino » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:27 am

Great Saiyaman was the first time were Gohan got to be himself and make his own decisions. All throughout his life, other people made his decisions and he just rolled with it.

From the very beginning, Chi-Chi pushed Gohan towards academics, not allowing Goku to expose him to any martial arts thus shaping his mind to wanting to become a scholar at an early age.

Next there's Piccolo who kidnapped Gohan and forced him to become a fighter which he revolted against at first but eventually got used to it after being thrown in countless life and death situations.

Then there's Goku who forced Gohan to become the new savior by making him fight Cell and then refusing to be revived thus leaving the responsibilities of the world all in his son's little hands.

Finally there's the Great Saiyaman. This persona allowed Gohan to be who he truly wanted to be, a goofy nerd who loves helping others. Gohan willingly skipped school so he can use his powers to fight crime and seemed to have the most fun he's ever had in his entire life while doing so.

No matter how many of his friends and family (Kuririn, Piccolo & Goku) made fun of his costume and mannerisms, Gohan stuck to his guns and stayed true to himself. No longer was he Chi-Chi's scholar, Piccolo's pupil or Goku's replacement, Gohan was finally his own man.

Nocky

Re: The Great Saiyaman was the best thing to ever happen to Gohan.

Post by Nocky » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:18 am

Yes! I think back to that scene on Namek (filler, I think) when Gohan didn't think anyone was watching, and he was punching the air and striking poses like a hero.

It's interesting to look at what Gohan wears as a reflection of this too. Until that point, he predominantly only ever wore a dogi like Piccolo's, one like Goku's, Saiyan battle armour, and goofy outfits that Chichi dressed him in. His Great Saiyaman outfit is the first time his appearance wasn't influenced by another character, so it adds to that sense of individuality. Like you said, it's awesome that he keeps wearing it with pride even though no one else thinks it looks cool.

I don't really want to see him in the conventional "badass" role—Goofy Gohan is the best.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:57 am

Y'know, I actually like Great Saiyaman Gohan. The naysayers will say it's a "deviation from the plot" or whatever, but I always found it gave Gohan a chance to be a normal teenage boy. I watched that saga in high school and that was the most I ever connected with a character in DBZ.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Generico Garbagio
Beyond Newbie

Post by Generico Garbagio » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:40 pm

floofychan333 wrote:The naysayers will say it's a "deviation from the plot" or whatever, but I always found it gave Gohan a chance to be a normal teenage boy.
I know, right? I was very normal when I was a teenage boy, too, and I was just the same. I would always skip classes to dress up, strike poses, become super saiyan and destroy small planets.

If you did read it please tell me how.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:56 pm

HELL YEAH!

I will go even further and say Gohan was FUKKIN A' on this arc. Videl was also at her best here. We got to have filler that showcased how awesome Gohan was and that's always a plus!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:36 pm

The Great Saiyaman was always fun to me as a little side thing that Gohan liked to do, but I never realized how well it connects to his character as was brought up here. Viewing it in that light, him suddenly going "hero more", if I may, ties in much more nicely to his character before the Boo arc.

You have to admit, it's commendable at the least that he doesn't lose his calm too badly when others tease him for his outfit.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Boo Machine
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Boo Machine » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Gohan being a goofy dork and adopting the persona of Great Saiyaman is what elevated him into being my favorite character. I love that he can just be a self confident doof and still be awesome while doing it.
SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Generico Garbagio wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:The naysayers will say it's a "deviation from the plot" or whatever, but I always found it gave Gohan a chance to be a normal teenage boy.
I know, right? I was very normal when I was a teenage boy, too, and I was just the same. I would always skip classes to dress up, strike poses, become super saiyan and destroy small planets.
Man, I would love to do that, though high school itself is pretty neat. I actually do pose on occasion though and come to school cosplaying as my favourite teacher. I'm not kidding.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:28 am

Everything about involving the Great Saiyaman in the Majin Boo arc is such unappreciated comedy gold. The Gohan's social awkwardness combined with the slice of life/superhero parody antics were always such a riot, because, as previously mentioned, it was Gohan doing what he wanted to do. And it just made that gimmick all the more earnest and endearing. Gohan at his heart is also a goofball who loves to masquerade as a Kamen Rider.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:33 pm

I think it's a vastly overrated part of the show. It overstays its welcome and isn't that funny to begin with.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks. I know i'm great :lol:
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!