Power Levels Don't Make Sense? According to M3wZy

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mamoru

Power Levels Don't Make Sense? According to M3wZy

Post by mamoru » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:24 am

Alright, so an average human (with gun) is 5 power level. Pilaf Saga Goku is 10 power level. Lets say that with one gun a human can destroy a wall (kinda overestimating, stay with me). That means that with one punch Goku can destroy two walls. It feels too little.

Now, start of DBZ Goku is 416 power level. 83.2 walls with one punch. Kid Buu is 1,150,000,000 power level, which is 230,000,000 walls with one punch. I mean, that isn't even close to what Kid Buu can actually do (destroy planets easily). Even god damn Vegeta is not safe from this madness. 15,000 power level, which is 3,000 walls with one punch. Vegeta was able to destroy the world in his debut.

Next up Beerus will have the power to destroy 6 planets with one punch according to his power level, I'm calling it.

So tell me if I messed up which I probably did, and make sure to tell me how I dun goofed and that Power Levels are not stupid kbye -M3WZY

I don't know what to say to this. I don't agree with it but I still can't debunk it lol. Can anyone debunk this? NOT MADE BY ME!! ITS MADE BY M3WZY
Last edited by mamoru on Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Power Levels Don't Make Sense? According to M3wZy

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:13 am

The trick is, planet Earth isn't made out of walls.

Oh, more? Okay. Earth has a crust, which is the most "wall-like", and then there's the mantle and core, which are much softer. So you only need to get to that, logically the core, to destroy it. Frieza was able to destroy Namek with a (relatively) smaller-scale move compared to his usual repetoire. When Goku used the Genki Dama, he was risking destroying the planet, because the attack would just cut right through the planet, right?

Also Power Levels have never made sense; the characters are supposedly faster than ever before, and yet they aren't animated as such unless we need to see that this guy is FASTER. As well, Piccolo's Makangasappo has a far larger explosion than attacks used by Vegeta and Dodoria, characters who are at least 500 times more powerful than he was against Raditz. It's all made up!

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 am

I blame farmer with shotgun. This issue wouldn't exist if we didn't have a regular human power level to work with.

My work around is that the scouter gives a full reading on power and not on what you can actually use. So he might have a power level of 5 but is only capable of using a small fraction of it due to having no ki control.

DBZ Macky
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Macky » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:38 am

Battle powers aren't linear, they just don't work like that.
Even a 1.04x gap is enough to overwhelm an opponent in some cases.

Plus, Kid Goku with a BP of 10 could destroy 3 bricks with one finger. I don't see the farmer with the shotgun destroying 1.5 bricks even if he punches with all his might.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:You're in the DB community, it's always a power level thread to someone.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:49 am

DBZ Macky wrote:Even a 1.04x gap is enough to overwhelm an opponent in some cases.
Assuming they use the exact same strategy and don't use tactics like wearing the other out or exploiting their character flaws and blah blah blah...

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:11 am

Guns are irrelevant as power levels measure ki. Guns don't have ki. Except maybe that dog that's merged with a gun in One Piece.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:42 pm

mamoru wrote:Alright, so an average human (with gun) is 5 power level. Pilaf Saga Goku is 10 power level. Lets say that with one gun a human can destroy a wall (kinda overestimating, stay with me). That means that with one punch Goku can destroy two walls. It feels too little.

Now, start of DBZ Goku is 416 power level. 83.2 walls with one punch. Kid Buu is 1,150,000,000 power level, which is 230,000,000 walls with one punch. I mean, that isn't even close to what Kid Buu can actually do (destroy planets easily). Even god damn Vegeta is not safe from this madness. 15,000 power level, which is 3,000 walls with one punch. Vegeta was able to destroy the world in his debut.

Next up Beerus will have the power to destroy 6 planets with one punch according to his power level, I'm calling it.

So tell me if I messed up which I probably did, and make sure to tell me how I dun goofed and that Power Levels are not stupid kbye -M3WZY

I don't know what to say to this. I don't agree with it but I still can't debunk it lol. Can anyone debunk this?
Well for starters the entire premise of your thread is wrong.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:12 pm

mamoru wrote:Alright, so an average human (with gun) is 5 power level. Pilaf Saga Goku is 10 power level. Lets say that with one gun a human can destroy a wall (kinda overestimating, stay with me). That means that with one punch Goku can destroy two walls. It feels too little.

I don't know what to say to this. I don't agree with it but I still can't debunk it lol. Can anyone debunk this?
Power levels were never meant to be used this way. That is, start conversations like 'if PL 5 can do X and PL 10 can do Y, does this mean that PL 5 can ...' No. Frieza Stage 2's '1 million' wasn't supposed to start mathematic conversations, it was supposed to make you realize that Frieza's a beast. That Goku's training with King Kai had turned him into a powerhouse, etc, etc.

That's it. That's all there is to it. All the power-up, power level theories are complete utter bullshit and should never be taken seriously or logically, and should only be taken as what they are - plot devices.

I mean, when you stop and think about it, the fact that all that Saiyan arc Vegeta had to do to reach Frieza 4th stage was to be mortally wounded 4-5 times, it makes you wonder why the hell didn't he do it in the first place. Frieza had healing tanks. Heck, all he and Nappa had to do was steal one and zenkai each other for a couple of days and boom! Emperor overthrown.

Makes you wonder why the Saiyans (as a race) didn't have their power levels explode since 4-5 zenkais could turn a 18.000 PL into a 1-2 million PL. It's INSANE. Practically their race should have reached Beerus' strength in just a couple of generations.

That's one of the main issues with Dragon Ball once you start taking the lore too seriously. It's so full of cheap powering-up bullshit which defy practicality it makes you scratch your head. Even Frieza, claiming that he never trained a day in his life. Why not train, you ass? So that Beerus can always tell you what to do? You reached 10-20% of his power by training for four months with a weakling - imagine what would happen if you trained with your dad or brother for two years.

It doesn't make any sense. Because it doesn't really have any sense. Stop taking power levels seriously. Stop trying to estimate what character X can do with a PL of Y. Because Dragon Ball pulls new rules out of its butt every new arc and the rules contradict logic, every step of the way.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:08 pm

dario03 wrote:I blame farmer with shotgun. This issue wouldn't exist if we didn't have a regular human power level to work with.

My work around is that the scouter gives a full reading on power and not on what you can actually use. So he might have a power level of 5 but is only capable of using a small fraction of it due to having no ki control.
If you really want to blame someone, blame Toriyama for introducing power levels to begin with.
Its obvious from the get-go that he didn't have any established rules regarding them for normal individuals like the Farmer or Bulma, let alone for fighters with a variety of measurable Ki detected by scouters. Well...besides "higher means stronger" which is as simple as it is arbitrary.
Take note a few fights: Vegeta vs Dodoria, 24,000 vs 20,000-22,000.
Vegeta was physically more powerful than Dodoria and incinerated him with a ordinary Ki blast.
Now take Goku vs Nappa, 8,000 vs 4,000.
They are more or less evenly matched once Nappa stops raging out and regains his composure, Goku states that he will need the Kaio-ken x2 to end the fight.
The latter fight actually suggests that Nappa, a Saiyan who believes in raw power and being a brute, has better Ki control than a well trained & calm martial artist like Goku. To the point that Goku is unable to control his own Ki to be able to overpower someone half as strong as him, if Nappa can double the strength & speed of his blows with Ki control then why can't anyone else?
Power levels aren't just bullshit, DB's power in general is bullshit.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Bando
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bando » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:The trick is, planet Earth isn't made out of walls.

Oh, more? Okay. Earth has a crust, which is the most "wall-like", and then there's the mantle and core, which are much softer. So you only need to get to that, logically the core, to destroy it. Frieza was able to destroy Namek with a (relatively) smaller-scale move compared to his usual repetoire. When Goku used the Genki Dama, he was risking destroying the planet, because the attack would just cut right through the planet, right?

Also Power Levels have never made sense; the characters are supposedly faster than ever before, and yet they aren't animated as such unless we need to see that this guy is FASTER. As well, Piccolo's Makangasappo has a far larger explosion than attacks used by Vegeta and Dodoria, characters who are at least 500 times more powerful than he was against Raditz. It's all made up!
The Earth's mantle and inner core are mostly solid. The innards of the Earth would be harder to destroy because there's so much more of it (think the skin of an apple versus its flesh) and it's becomes more pressurized the deeper you go.

The way Freeza destroyed the planet on Namek doesn't make any sense.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:57 pm

Actually when you get to something the size of a planet the strength of the materials doesn't really matter, the force that's mostly responsible for keeping the planet together is its own gravity. That's what has to be overcome to destroy it.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:15 pm

This only means power levels aren't linear with real life destruction feats. That's pretty obvious.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

p-hyvo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by p-hyvo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:52 am

yes boy, you messed up a lot. first of all, you said "with a punch", obviously sayan saga vegeta or even kid buu cant destroy a planet with a punch, in fact the need energy blasts to do it. next, where did you heard that "kid buu = 1'150'000'000" boy, thats bullshit

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:03 am

p-hyvo wrote:next, where did you heard that "kid buu = 1'150'000'000" boy, thats bullshit
It's from a video game, where all enemy characters are given power levels.
Released some 7 years ago IIRC.