Can dragon-type namekians even regenerate?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

apex_pretador
I Live Here

Can dragon-type namekians even regenerate?

Post by apex_pretador » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:13 am

Piccolo - Warrior type

Nail - Warrior type

The only namekians in the entire series (movies, GT, super included) who have regenerated are these two (three maybe if lord slug regenerated ever, but I don't remember that). What do they have in common? They are warrior type, not dragon type

All other Namekians have never ever regenerated even though they had many opportunities to show that if they could.
- King Piccolo
- Dende
- Lots and lots of random namekians
- Kami

So, I have a little theory that only Warrior-type Namekians can actually regenerate. What do you think?
My dragon ball respect threads
Respect Piccolo
Respect Tao Pai Pai
Respect Freeza

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Can dragon-type namekians even regenerate?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:33 pm

You don't have a theory, you have a hypothesis. A point which I only bother nitpicking, because there is nothing to discuss here. There's no evidence either way.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Wasn't King Piccolo a warrior type Namekian?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:30 pm

floofychan333 wrote:Wasn't King Piccolo a warrior type Namekian?
Daimao was a Dragon Clan Namekian, as only the Dragon Clan are capable of producing eggs.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:22 pm

It's possible, considering they aren't made for fighting.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:35 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:You don't have a theory, you have a hypothesis. A point which I only bother nitpicking, because there is nothing to discuss here. There's no evidence either way.
There is evidence. None of the random namekians regenerated. Most of them did not take damage to their heads to kill them. They all died or random wounds(some to the head) like normal humans being hurt. It defies the logic of them having regenerative powers. Unless they simply lack the power or were never taught/learned the skill. That or those not hit in the head waited for the enemy to leave and regenerated themselves. Or am I mixing up which type of namekian we're talking about?
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Arugela wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:You don't have a theory, you have a hypothesis. A point which I only bother nitpicking, because there is nothing to discuss here. There's no evidence either way.
There is evidence. None of the random namekians regenerated. Most of them did not take damage to their heads to kill them. They all died or random wounds(some to the head) like normal humans being hurt. It defies the logic of them having regenerative powers. Unless they simply lack the power or were never taught/learned the skill. That or those not hit in the head waited for the enemy to leave and regenerated themselves. Or am I mixing up which type of namekian we're talking about?
Weren't the random Namekians that tried to fight Freeza and his men Warrior-Types, though? I mean, they looked like their only job was to protect their villages, and they had keen battle sense and power, dwarfing the regular Freeza Force soldiers.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:34 pm

Arugela wrote:
Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Piccolo has been heavily wounded without his head being damaged without regenerating as well.

My own feeling is that they can only regenerate missing limbs; they can't reform themselves like Buu can.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:35 am

Arugela wrote:
As Kammiccolo9 commented, we've seen Piccolo not regenerate from wounds sustained to him that weren't on his head. He failed to regenerate when Freeza shot him through the chest during the Freeza arc of Z or the RoF arc in Super, and died from the blast fired by Nappa that he took in order to save Gohan, despite there being only superficial burns to his outer body.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:18 pm

We also see that it still takes a lot of energy to regenerate for Piccolo, even though he's become so powerful.

Namekian regeneration seems to mostly be a backup in case things go to the crapper, and not something they can rely on.