Jiren and Jaco the Same Species?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Jiren and Jaco the Same Species?

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm

What the title says. I've been thinking about this for a bit and I think these two characters, despite how drastically different they are in behavior and personality, are possibly the same species.

For one their visual design is clearly based off of the modern folkloric alien greys. Jiren is even called Jiren the Grey. At first, I thought this was just Toriyama recycling design schemes since he does that a lot. But then there's another reason that leads me to believe they are the same species. And that is they both have incredibly enhanced senses (mainly vision). Jaco has iterated several times that his eyes are very good at tracking movement, to the point where he can track the movement of characters far stronger and faster than him. He was able to track the movements of SSB Goku and Golden Frieza. Later, he was able to spot Frost's poison needle when people more powerful than him couldn't, and he explains one again that it's because he (and possibly his entire species) has really good vision.

Fast forward to when Jiren is introduced, and he's shown to be able to read movement very well to the point where he doesn't even bother moving because he knows certain attacks won't hit him. And it's implied that he reads movements so well because of his eyes, because the shot will often do a close-up of his eyes when he's reading movements and taking in information around him.

This leads me to believe Jiren may not have necessarily trained for this, and that his species simply inherently has the ability to visually track movement well.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Jiren and Jaco the Same Species?

Post by Chuquita » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:41 pm

That would mean Jiren also pees from his ears.

It would also be the most Toriyama thing about Jiren so far, imo.

More serious though; yeah I can see it. Would explain why Jaco's not in this arc (since he'd be able to spoiler Jiren's gimmicks).
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Melee_Sovereign
Temporarily Banned

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Chuquita wrote:That would mean Jiren also pees from his ears.
I was unaware of this about Jaco. Haven't read his manga yet, but that's funny. :lol: On the other hand, Jaco's species probably thinks our way of peeing is weird. :lol:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Jiren is actually Roger from American Dad:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Hmmm...He could be. Jaco also has those little Toriyama Donut Ears when his headset is off. Jiren's eyes seem to have a pupil/iris of some sort while Jaco's don't, but something like that is hardly out of the norm for Dragon Ball. Just look at the variation in human eyes. :lol:

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:47 pm

This would be such a Toriyama thing to do. I so, so hope it turns out true.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:14 am

If they are, they clearly don't go to the same gym.

Maybe it's an evolution thing: the Universe 7 version of the species lived on a diet of oats, kale and low-fat yoghurt while the U11 variant evolved by exclusively eating raw eggs, dry chicken and lean beef.

The tournament announcer from U6 could be the missing link. Jaco's body size, but face closer to Jiren. Also head-tentacle, which I kept mentally inserting onto Jiren before he appeared in the show.