Shenlong, and other omniscient characters

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Shenlong, and other omniscient characters

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 pm

It occurred to me while grabbing lunch today that Shenron and Porunga have significant omnipotence, considering that they immediately know the intentions behind each wish and know exactly what they're talking about. For example, when Oolong wishes for the panties, Shenron knows what panties are, even though he's been dormant for a century when panties may not have existed. Comparably, when Oolong suggests that they wish for Shenron to kill Vegeta and Nappa before they arrive, Shenron knows what a Saiyan is and which two Saiyans they're talking about, even though there's no way for him to know that. Same thing applies to wishing away the bombs inside 17 and 18, or wishing Bora back to life; Upa does not need to tell Shenron that his father his dead when making his wish.

I thought this was interesting, especially since it doesn't seem to be a thing for the various Kais, and I was wondering if there are any other examples of omnipotent characters in the series.

EDIT: Omniscient, apparently! Thanks theherodjl!
Last edited by KBABZ on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Re: Shenlong, and other omnipotent characters

Post by theherodjl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:29 pm

KBABZ wrote:It occurred to me while grabbing lunch today that Shenron and Porunga have significant omnipotence, considering that they immediately know the intentions behind each wish and know exactly what they're talking about. For example, when Oolong wishes for the panties, Shenron knows what panties are, even though he's been dormant for a century when panties may not have existed. Comparably, when Oolong suggests that they wish for Shenron to kill Vegeta and Nappa before they arrive, Shenron knows what a Saiyan is and which two Saiyans they're talking about, even though there's no way for him to know that. Same thing applies to wishing away the bombs inside 17 and 18, or wishing Bora back to life; Upa does not need to tell Shenron that his father his dead when making his wish.

I thought this was interesting, especially since it doesn't seem to be a thing for the various Kais, and I was wondering if there are any other examples of omnipotent characters in the series.
That's not omnipotence, that's omniscience.
Additionally, We don't actually know if the dragons are truly omniscient since Shenlong was unsure if he could fulfill the wish to revive all those killed by Freeza and his minions, though with all the other examples of knowing details beyond the wordings of each wish you could say they're nigh-omniscient.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Shenlong, and other omnipotent characters

Post by KBABZ » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:33 pm

theherodjl wrote:Additionally, We don't actually know if the dragons are truly omniscient since Shenlong was unsure if he could fulfill the wish to revive all those killed by Freeza and his minions, though with all the other examples of knowing details beyond the wordings of each wish you could say they're nigh-omniscient.
With the above case, I think that's because Shenron had never tried to grant a wish with effects that were at such an extreme distance, so it was more him being unsure of his abilities rather than a "Uhh... Namek? Hold on, I have to look this up..." situation (which would have made for a great SD moment).

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Shenlong, and other omniscient characters

Post by Meshack » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 am

Shenron and the other Ryuujin are not omniscient. Shenron couldn’t even find the Super Dragon Balls.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 pm

As others explained, the dragons aren't omniscient. They have exhibited weakness and limitation before in their capacity to fulfill a request. It's why Shenron was unable to fully reconvert the cyborg twins back into humans and why he also proved unable to fulfill Oolong's request of destroying the Saiyans as they were on their way to Earth. The power of the dragons is intrinsically linked to the one who created them. Super Dragon Balls are the only set who have been established as capable of fulfilling any and all wishes. Of course, no one has yet to put that claim to the test.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 am

Lionel wrote:As others explained, the dragons aren't omniscient. They have exhibited weakness and limitation before in their capacity to fulfill a request. It's why Shenron was unable to fully reconvert the cyborg twins back into humans and why he also proved unable to fulfill Oolong's request of destroying the Saiyans as they were on their way to Earth. The power of the dragons is intrinsically linked to the one who created them. Super Dragon Balls are the only set who have been established as capable of fulfilling any and all wishes. Of course, no one has yet to put that claim to the test.
That's not omniscience. That's omnipotence, meaning all powerful. Those examples you gave prove that he isn't omnipotent, but doesn't show that he's not omniscient (which means all knowing).

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:07 am

Do you think that Piccolo should wish to become Porunga, like Jafar wanted to become a genie in Aladdin, so that he's both well knowing and powerful?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
Lionel wrote:As others explained, the dragons aren't omniscient. They have exhibited weakness and limitation before in their capacity to fulfill a request. It's why Shenron was unable to fully reconvert the cyborg twins back into humans and why he also proved unable to fulfill Oolong's request of destroying the Saiyans as they were on their way to Earth. The power of the dragons is intrinsically linked to the one who created them. Super Dragon Balls are the only set who have been established as capable of fulfilling any and all wishes. Of course, no one has yet to put that claim to the test.
That's not omniscience. That's omnipotence, meaning all powerful. Those examples you gave prove that he isn't omnipotent, but doesn't show that he's not omniscient (which means all knowing).
Correct! To elaborate, both the Android and Saiyan requests were unable to be fulfilled because the four were beyond his power. The omniscient part is that he knew what Saiyans were, which Saiyans they were talking about, where they were, and how powerful they were without needing to so much as Google them.

Although I still think wishing for the space pods to be blown up would have worked...