How does the DB-to-Namek Power Level system work?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FVVOID

How does the DB-to-Namek Power Level system work?

Post by FVVOID » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:33 pm

Has it ever been stated, shown, or presented officially how the power level system from the the beginning of the dragon ball animation series in 1996 to the Namek saga? Did it have a logarithmic scale, addition and or subtraction scale, multiplication and or division scale, etc? This is a question I ask myself today, and I think I found an answer. When Goku fought Freeza before going super saiyan, his power level was around 3 million and when he went into his super saiyan transformation, it was about 150 million.
(as stated here in French http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... tch7zt.jpg).

Remember, super saiyan 1 amplifies your power level 50 times, so it was a multiplication. From this, we can infer that the power level system was scaled by multiplying and or dividing (and maybe addition and or subtraction, but much more rarely). [Source] The problem is that in some scenarios using multiplication/division to compare and scale characters will give you incorrect answers, like in this video I recorded: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_-PDG1 ... lm&index=2. In a section of the video, I say that Roshi must have had at least a power level of 139 when he blew up the moon. Let's be fair and bring it to 200. Now lets figure out the surface size of the moon. It's about 37.9 million squared kilometers. Divide that by 200. We know have 189500 squared kilometers. That's a little bigger then Syria. Now, what power level do you get when you divide 200 by 200? 1. That would mean a mere human with a power level of one could blow up Syria. If that doesn't give you an image, think of Washington the state blowing up. I am sure my calculation is correct, but if someone can prove me otherwise with a good argument, I'll accept that I made an error.

I, and probably others, know that the power level system in Dragon ball all together isn't too reliable in some instances. This post just makes the point clearer by using an example from the series. I mean, what is to be expected? If you were writing a series and had to integrate a power level system, you wouldn't spend to much time on it unless you really love mathematics, or you would waste story-writing time making sure your system is 100% perfect or near perfection. So errors are to be expected.

About logarithms, even though the dragon ball power level system isn't a logarithmic system, I do wonder if the power level system would have less errors if a group of people remade the power level system using logarithms. Although I have a lack of knowledge regarding logarithms, I do know decibels use such a system. From Britannica: "Decibel, (dB), unit for expressing the ratio between two amounts of electric or acoustic power or for measuring the relative loudness of sounds." So, decibels is a unit to measure the loudness of sounds. To double the loudness of a sound, add 3 decibels. Example: To compare 30 dB to 10 dB, subtract 10 from 30. We have 20. Now divide 20 by 3 to have 6.6666666666666667. That is the amount of times 2 multiplies itself by, or 2 to the power of 6.6666666666666667. 2^6.6666666666666667=101.593667326. So, 30 dB is 101.593667326 louder then 10 dB if I am correct.

That is all I have to say. I know, that was a lot of reading.

Source for the moon's surface area: https://www.universetoday.com/20489/moo ... -to-earth/
Sources for Syria's area in km^2: https://www.britannica.com/place/Syria (Look on the right and scroll onto you see Total Area in squared Km)
Decibel source: https://www.britannica.com/science/decibel

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Re: HOW DOES THE POWER LEVEL SYSTEM FROM THE BEGINNING OF DRAGON BALL TO THE NAMEK SAGA (ANIME) WORK???

Post by MajinMan » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 pm

It doesn't make sense, just like your post.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

FVVOID

Re: HOW DOES THE POWER LEVEL SYSTEM FROM THE BEGINNING OF DRAGON BALL TO THE NAMEK SAGA (ANIME) WORK???

Post by FVVOID » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:02 am

Ok. Let me see if I can summarize each paragraph

PARAGRAPH ONE

In this paragraph, I share with the readers a question I had, then I answered the question as best as I could. The question was whether it was said/shown what kind of system power levels used. Using evidence from guides, I gave an answer to that question. My answer was that the power level system used the arithmetic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division). Multiplication and division would be more common and used to calculate a boost in power level or to downscale something, while the use of addition and division is rarer. Example: I am a saiyan with a power level of 10. I amplify it 50 times. I now have a power level of 500.

PARAGRAPH TWO

Here I scale down Master Roshi's power level of about 200 when he destroyed the moon down to a human with a power level of one. The result ends up being unreliable, because it over scales the power of a human.

PARAGRAPH THREE

In this paragraph, I say that I, and probably many others already knew, that power levels couldn't always be relied on , and that is to be expected. Writers need time to write their stories, draw the comics, etc, and designing a system that is almost flawless to scale your characters would consume time that is needed for other things.

PARAGRAPH FOUR

I talk about logarithms, decibels, and wondered if the power level system would be better if a group of people formed together with the main goal of recreating the power level system using logarithms.

Kaboom

Re: How does the DB-to-Namek Power Level system work?

Post by Kaboom » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:18 am

Moved to the in-universe section.

Also, please don't format your post in such an obnoxious manner. Large-size bold-face font isn't going to entice people to read your thread and take it seriously. In fact, it's more likely to have the opposite effect.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

FVVOID

Re: How does the DB-to-Namek Power Level system work?

Post by FVVOID » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:21 am

Well, I did it because I thought the text would have been too small. If it annoys people, then I will keep the text at normal size.