Grey Boo

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Grey Boo

Post by Juub » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:My opinion is that Pure Evil Buu is of equal power to Pure Buu, given that they're both fundamentally the same being. The reason for him being only a portion of the original Fat Buu's power and yet still equal to Pure Buu, who in turn gave Goku more trouble than Fat Buu did, is that the Pure Evil Buu took the majority of power from Fat Buu at the height of Buu's anger. It was shown that Buu's strength, as Fat Buu, fluctuated due to anger, and against Goku, Buu wasn't angry. He was thoroughly enjoying his fight with him, and therefore wasn't likely going at his full strength as a result of it. At the moment he expelled the Pure Evil Buu though, Fat Buu was overcome with rage from Mr. Satan's near death, to the point he feared Mr. Satan even being near him because of what might happen.

In short, Goku fought Fat Buu while the latter was at a suppressed level, and he was at his full, rage-induced power when he expelled the Pure Evil Buu, whose strength was a reflection of that rage-induced power. Goku wasn't aware of this happening (as seen by his confusion of Buu being inside Buu when they found Mr. Buu's cocoon), thus his belief of being able to defeat him is based only on their early fight.

As for the gauge to revive Buu, I don't believe that's a fair indicator of Buu's actual power, so much as just the amount needed to "jump start" him.
Fat Buu was operating at the same level against Goku that he was against Majin Vegeta. He can't control his power. It's doubtful he had much left in the tank. Nothing points to that.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:12 am

Juub wrote:Fat Buu was operating at the same level against Goku that he was against Majin Vegeta. He can't control his power. It's doubtful he had much left in the tank. Nothing points to that.
We see though that his power is affected by his level of anger, and nothing is shown that he can't control his power either. Even if he can't do it on a completely intentional level, it is shown to fluctuate when he's angered, as seen with his strength skyrocketing when Dabra makes fun of him and he retaliates, and again following Vegeta blasting a hole through him. So whenever he gets angry, his power jumps, and since he was happy and enjoying himself against Goku, I don't think he was letting out all the power he possibly could, whereas when he is enraged at Mr. Satan's near death, he does let out that power.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am

I agree with the last thing that Darkprince said. Fat Buu's power went up when he was angry, but it simply didn't go the extent of when Evil Buu was released, hence why Goku fought againt Fat Buu as he was. However, the split caused Fat Buu's power to have naturally decreased, when he could still get angry as a Good Buu. The only thing different is that there was no evil to grow anymore. When Kid Buu spat Fat Buu, they were their original selves, since the former was pure while evil returned to Good Buu. In other words: evil distorted Kid Buu into his Evil frame. The others can't grow Fat Buu's evil by getting him angry.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:40 am

Darkprince410 wrote:
Juub wrote:Fat Buu was operating at the same level against Goku that he was against Majin Vegeta. He can't control his power. It's doubtful he had much left in the tank. Nothing points to that.
We see though that his power is affected by his level of anger, and nothing is shown that he can't control his power either. Even if he can't do it on a completely intentional level, it is shown to fluctuate when he's angered, as seen with his strength skyrocketing when Dabra makes fun of him and he retaliates, and again following Vegeta blasting a hole through him. So whenever he gets angry, his power jumps, and since he was happy and enjoying himself against Goku, I don't think he was letting out all the power he possibly could, whereas when he is enraged at Mr. Satan's near death, he does let out that power.
He was only mildly annoyed at Dabura and threw a giant fit against Vegeta. Then he got super angry to the point he had to expel his anger and literally the second Super Buu showed up, everyone was like "Uh oh, what's going on". Fat Buu showed most of his power against Vegeta by thoroughly thrashing him. He barely had any more left. Nothing indicates he did unless you think somehow he restrained himself against Vegeta.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:08 pm

We know that he concealed his power upon showing up, because Goku and Gohan had already sensed it before Fat Buu went back to using it, when Gohan and Vegeta thought that he could be dealt with in between.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:45 pm

Desassina wrote:We know that he concealed his power upon showing up, because Goku and Gohan had already sensed it before Fat Buu went back to using it, when Gohan and Vegeta thought that he could be dealt with in between.
He didn't even conceal it. He simply wasn't using it. He can't control his own power. That's why after his little bout with Vegeta, he stayed at the same level rather than dropping back to the level he was when he first came out.

He was already tapping into a massive portion of his anger when he demolished Vegeta. He may have had a bit left but judging by how the tantrum he threw, it's very unlikely he had much more left. Certainly not enough to be on the same level as Super Buu.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:24 pm

I'll concede to the idea that Goku fought Fat Buu without his power going down from when he faced Vegeta, but know that this can only be proved in the absence of feats and statements, and that it won't deny the other interpretations as well. I'm a fan of Fat Buu using what he had already unlocked, even after he gets calm, without the need to get angry again, but in case it happens, it's because he has grown stronger. However, this:
Juub wrote:He was already tapping into a massive portion of his anger when he demolished Vegeta. He may have had a bit left but judging by how the tantrum he threw, it's very unlikely he had much more left. Certainly not enough to be on the same level as Super Buu.
... is not right, because Fat Buu's anger was so strong that his evil greatly swelled up and came out. Unless, off course, it was the end of an accumulated process.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:09 pm

Darkprince410 wrote:At the moment he expelled the Pure Evil Buu though, Fat Buu was overcome with rage from Mr. Satan's near death, to the point he feared Mr. Satan even being near him because of what might happen.
Even though Boo wasn't angry against Goku, Boo [vs Goku] shouldn't be any lower than Boo [vs Vegeta]. Even if fat Boo increased his powers before expelling Grey Boo (I don't deny that it might have happened, it's a strong possibility), it apparently wasn't strong enough to reach the Kaioshin realm, indicating such power was still < SSJ3 Goku, no?

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Desassina wrote:I'll concede to the idea that Goku fought Fat Buu without his power going down from when he faced Vegeta, but know that this can only be proved in the absence of feats and statements, and that it won't deny the other interpretations as well. I'm a fan of Fat Buu using what he had already unlocked, even after he gets calm, without the need to get angry again, but in case it happens, it's because he has grown stronger. However, this:
Juub wrote:He was already tapping into a massive portion of his anger when he demolished Vegeta. He may have had a bit left but judging by how the tantrum he threw, it's very unlikely he had much more left. Certainly not enough to be on the same level as Super Buu.
... is not right, because Fat Buu's anger was so strong that his evil greatly swelled up and came out. Unless, off course, it was the end of an accumulated process.
It indeed was. His anger was too much to contain and he had to expel it. The whole point of the Super form is that it has no restriction compared to the Fat one. Fat Buu isn't built to use the power of Super Buu who was said to have a body built for fighting or something along those lones.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:45 am

ahill1 wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
Lionel wrote:His power is greater than Good Buu's but weaker than Fat's. I prefer to think that he retained approximately 70% of the power. I do grant that Good Buu putting up any kind of fight against Kid Buu does put somewhat of a damper on this notion when Evil Buu was absolutely devastating Good. In relation to Kid Buu, you would think Good Buu would have been brought down in one strike like Recoome achieved against Krillin.
If Pure Buu =/= Pure Evil Buu, then Mr. Buu =/= Good Buu, pretty much by definition.
People like explaining fatso faring better against kid Boo than against Grey Boo either due to Mr. Boo having the same power as the one who battled Goku, rather than being Good Boo, or by fat Boo powering up a lot before releasing Grey Boo and, therefore, allowing someone [Grey Boo] who contains just the majority of his powers to be stronger than kid Boo. Are you going with the former now?
I used to go with the latter, but now I just don't really think about it (mostly because "Good Buu" and "Evil Buu" were on-screen for one chapter). I just take what I see on-screen, which is:

Pure Evil Buu is in some way different from Pure Buu (otherwise they'd just be the same being).

Good Buu is logically different from Mr. Buu (otherwise Pure Evil Buu would be the same being as Pure Buu, which he's not).

Pure Evil Buu is much stronger than Good Buu, enough that the latter can't really put up a fight.

Pure Buu is stronger than Mr. Buu, but not by so much that the latter can't put up a decent fight.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ahill1
Regular

Post by ahill1 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:10 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:I used to go with the latter, but now I just don't really think about it (mostly because "Good Buu" and "Evil Buu" were on-screen for one chapter). I just take what I see on-screen, which is:

Pure Evil Buu is in some way different from Pure Buu (otherwise they'd just be the same being).

Good Buu is logically different from Mr. Buu (otherwise Pure Evil Buu would be the same being as Pure Buu, which he's not).

Pure Evil Buu is much stronger than Good Buu, enough that the latter can't really put up a fight.

Pure Buu is stronger than Mr. Buu, but not by so much that the latter can't put up a decent fight.
Another good implication for Good Boo being different from Mr. Boo is Vegeta stating another Boo might come out from the latter if they allow him to live, which shouldn't be possible with Good Boo, who had expelled the evil already, right?

But, if Good Boo =/= Mr. Boo, is there something implying Good Boo has to be >> Majin Vegeta/Goku ssj2? People could just go with fat Boo being 2.5x ssj2 teen Gohan, then.