If future and present Trunks fused, would the fusion break time?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

If future and present Trunks fused, would the fusion break time?

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:31 pm

At the least, it would make a new/unique Super Saiyan form that can transcend time/space.

At most, it could cause DB history to fall apart and be written into various continuities.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Re: If future and present Trunks fused, would the fusion break time?

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:03 pm

No, none of that.

The fusion would merely create a very powerful new Trunks, until the time limit runs out. There's nothing inherently time-manipulating about any version of Trunks. It's when he's actually traveling through time that things get all screwy.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:At the least, it would make a new/unique Super Saiyan form that can transcend time/space.

At most, it could cause DB history to fall apart and be written into various continuities.
It's established in DB that the timelines are not actually connected in a linear fashion within the same stream of time, therefore either Trunks performing any sort of actions is not going to trigger a calamitous butterfly effect or temporal paradox.
Split timelines in DB seems to be more akin to parallel universes and alternate dimensions, this makes Trunks' time machine more of a universal/dimensional transporter. This might explain why U7 has over a dozen variations of events despite supposedly all having occurred in the same universe, as the Saiyans of the current DBS timeline that we all know do not recognize things that occurred within the movies or GT.
The games are the only medium in which the events of all the DB media connects together, if Trunks is destined to make any sort of action that changes the fate of things then it would only be in the games that time might be broken.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dragon boss z
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by dragon boss z » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:12 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:No, none of that.

The fusion would merely create a very powerful new Trunks, until the time limit runs out. There's nothing inherently time-manipulating about any version of Trunks. It's when he's actually traveling through time that things get all screwy.
It's possible the fusion won't run out. In the manga Zamasu's fusion was supposed to run out, but because it was two of the same person he ended up permanently fusing.