Freeza's development

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Freeza's development

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:53 am

I think this is a good time to address this topic.

Freeza has changed a lot in this arc. He's no longer kissing up to the Gods/Beerus, he isn't shaking in fear every time a stronger person than him shows up and he seems relatively comfortable with the fact that there are people stronger than him out there and (presumably) he's gonna give Goku some Ki next episode.

Question is: how far will they go? He can't turn into a good guy, that's just completely against his nature. And his grudge seems pretty ingrained into his character at this point, too.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Freeza's development

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:56 am

Freeza's not gonna become heroic, even Super isn't shit enough to actually try and pull this off. I'm gonna give it enough credit and chalk up all his niceties as him just waiting for the people who can potentially threaten him to either knock one another out or weaken each other to where he's the only top dog left.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:22 am

Much of it just falls down to "Resurrection F" going down in flames; Freeza could spend a decade fuming in hell about Trunks' cheap shot, thinking that if he just went back to Earth with another transformation everyone would cower and life would be good again. Well that didn't happen, so he has to take his (rather well-off) place in Dragon Ball's new world order and go from there. I would chalk up his general nonchalance to his being in the tournament on the afterlife day pass; if he wins he might win everything, but there isn't much more he can lose.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:47 am

Freeza was always smart except in regards to his strength. Before it seemed like he didn't thought about his standing, he just believed he was the strongest. That's why he acted like an idiot when his belief was dispelled, he just couldn't accept it and wasn't able too.

It seems that after FnF and a bit more time being tortured in hell he was able to rationalize that he isn't an untouchable being. He already knew this before, we see it when he preemptively kills the Saiyans, contrary to now at the time he still suffered from cognitive dissonance.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Freeza spent decades languishing in hell after being beaten twice by two Super Saiyans (Goku and Future Trunks) in a short timeframe. If you include the anime filler, he was humilated by Pikkon as well.

So when Freeza discovered his new golden form, he truly believed he would be unstoppable. And honestly, he'd be right. If he had that form when Goku was still at his Buu-era strength and didn't discover God Ki, Golden Freeza would have killed him easily.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:18 pm

The gist of what Freeza's been going through points to him realizing that he's not gonna get by on his power alone anymore.

Goku taught him that lesson when he first defeated him as a Super Saiyan, so once he was revived, he decided to train himself up after a long time relying on his natural-born potential. After achieving new heights, he's humiliated once again by Goku AND Vegeta this time, and he realizes his place in the hierarchy when Beerus arrives on Earth and Freeza sees that he's still nothing compared to the upper level gods.

Once he dies, he has PLENTY of time to reflect on his life, and how he got there. He ultimately decides that that was all BS and focuses all his energies on what he desires most now: to make Son Goku suffer. In doing this, he achieves a level of mental discipline unheard of by the standards of the old Freeza in addition to a significant amount of power and control over his Golden Evolution.

Now that Freeza knows his place on the power scale and the machinations of the gods, he's resigned himself to observation duty, making sure to note every little thing about the gods, about Son Goku, etc., to come up with a scheme that'll end up in everlasting victory for him. He's become a LOT more dangerous now. Not because he's stronger, though that's part of it, but also because he's learned patience and self-control.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:45 am

I really don't know what they are going to end up doing with Freeza. I like him in this arc only because his true intentions remains a mystery. But after this arc I don't really think he can be the main villain again. How many times can he play that role? But I also don't know if I want to see Freeza turn over a new leaf. At least not with some really good development to justify it.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:46 am

Initially, I was upset to see Freeza being brought back once more for this arc. Horse seemed dead enough.

Reality: Freeza has never been better than how he is in this arc, in terms of character. He will never become a good guy, but this specific situation has brought out the best beyond anybody could have expected. The fact that TOEI seems to pool animation quality in that direction helps a bit too.

His presence is so coy by nature. See's Goku ascend to a new level? Calls it nostalgic. Audience commentary through a villain. I love it.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Freeza has been the character since this entire arc has started. Freeza is actually taking his time to weigh his options, think more with his head and put any personal grudges he has aside so that he actually last as long as possible. The humbling and embarrassing defeat in Resurrection F has made him much more savvy in battle.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:40 am

Having a mutual objective of survival coupled with the domineering presence of Beerus has caused Freeza to rearrange his priorities so that he's not flying into a rage hoping to annihilate Goku for the fourth time now. Something tells me the deferential conditions of his relationship with Beerus helped to lay the groundwork for his new clandestine methodology. With being in an openly chaotic environment where everyone is out for their own group in a free for all, I believe Freeza's discontent at being under the proverbial boot of superior beings may have been calmed as he's surroundings that are appealing to his fundamental nature. Others are assuming the role of hostile belligerent which Freeza can take note of and observe for his own personal benefit.

Freeza definitely isn't a benevolent character, but his actions and conduct have become less overt and more conniving.