meaning of zenoh?! and other things!

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

meaning of zenoh?! and other things!

Post by Arugela » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 pm

What does zenoh stand for in japanese. What should we be taking from his name.

I was in another thread and wrote this as part of my statement:
Totally off topic: I just noticed something. Vegeta is vegetables. It's all encompasing(prince of all sayians). Goku is a specific vegetable. Kakarot in regards to sayians. Cloud in regards to earth. All sayians are based on vegetables and under vegetas rule per say. Freeza and his family ruling over sayians are where you stick vegetables. Freeza, cooler, etc. King cold being their ruler/orientation(cold storage or cold in general.)... how did I never notice that. Now the scary thing is that you stick vegetables in the freezer... I wonder if this is hinted at in the original japanese at all.... Or what greater significance is given in the original japanese? Is it a hint at a specific ruler in japans real history or a bad joke about zarbon and freezer being a bit kinky?! Or does the difference of sticking veggies in the freezer mean something as opposed to sticking vegetables in the fridge/cooler?! Is it a joke about frozen vegetables somehow compared to fresh?! He had a freezing effect on them?!
Then I was looking up zenoh and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen-Noh

More food relates stuff. Does this have any meaning. It is agricutlure related. Is the zenoh thing political or just something used as material about food in general. Maybe their is something moral/political in dragon ball about food and society or something. I mean goku's favorite thing is food and he's buddying up with the nation mass producer or something potentially. It all might make sense.

So, like all names in dragon ball they seem to have meaning to something about the characters. What is zenoh's. Hekc, what is everyone elses. I think it Picked out the sayians and others related to them story wise in general. but why the specific names. Carrot, radits, etc. Is there more meaning to why those were picked. I think bulma may have to do with wearing the pants. Their whole family is of high stature and you can tell. roshi is blatant potentially. What about tien and yamchan and krillien etc. what do the other names mean and like the sayains in regards to each other. To turtles like to eat carrots? And what about goku's earth name.

What was kamis name and why is piccolo names after an instrument? Are the other sayians name likewise. What is dende?!

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/ADARN/names.html

if ku is sky does that mean goku's means the sky's the limit?(also what is Go?) but why is he named after a carrot specifically?

[spoiler]viewtopic.php?t=36062
Postby sailorspazz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:08 am
His name is the Japanese pronunciation of the Chinese name Sun Wukong, the protagonist of the classic tale "Journey to the West". Early Dragon Ball was very loosely based off this story, though quickly moved on to becoming its own thing.

While Sun Wukong may be also called the Monkey King, the name doesn't literally mean that. The Gokuu/悟空 part of the name is what is being referred as possibly being translated as "master of knowing nothing"; the first kanji is one for perceiving/being enlightened, while the second kanji conveys emptiness. The name was already in existence long before Dragon Ball came along, so we can't say that the meaning is specific to Gokuu, but perhaps Toriyama kept it in mind as the character developed? Can't really be sure whether he thought deeply about it at all, or was like, "oh, I'll just use that name from Journey to the West!" :P
I wonder how many more things can be found to apply to their charcter.[/spoiler]

Why are namekians named after instruments. Is namekian the word related this somehow(if it's slug then why would slugs play instraments?). Did guru have something to do with musical teacher? Why does gohan play a flute around piccolo. I get it could be easily be a piccolo and related but what is the significance of it for instance? Why, ironically, are namekians plant based organisms while sayians and others are named after vegetables?! :lol:

If namekians are slugs it makes sense as they hang onto/feed off of the vegetables/sayians in the show. But why the instruments?
Last edited by Arugela on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My fan art:
Brolly Gohan Fusion!: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38826
Uubeerus fusion: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39923
Dende theme: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39750

Zenoh might be waygu/kobe Beef!?: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=40055
GT theory: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40001

LowRyder2005
Advanced Regular

Re: meaning of zenoh?! and other things!

Post by LowRyder2005 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:46 pm

"Zen'oh (全王)" has a rather clear-cut translation, which is "King (王) of Everything (全)".

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Is it possible if you take all the known sayians and the correlate do the in any way possible make a specific dish? One that goes in the freezer possibley commonly? Maybe something the japanese viewers would pick up on(maybe the kids or parents specifically)? Maybe there are some hidden jokes in dragon ball people haven't picked up on.

or the vegetables are ones they don't like and commonly throw out of a dish or something odd. There is a lot of room for jokes like that in the show potentially.

[spoiler]
Gurudo: A joke on "yoguruto" japanese for yogurt

Jeice: A joke on cheese

Burter: Japanese prononciation for the english word "butter"

Ginyu: Japanese for milk (spelled: gyunyu)

Rikoom: A joke on cream
[/spoiler]

The ginyu force is named after dairy products. So, what exactly is supposed to be in freeza refrigerator of units.. Is there a more specific meaning/joke/statement when you look at it all.

Was this just health food propaganda in japan to get kids to eat in a healthy way or is there something more interesting here?
My fan art:

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Arugela wrote:Was this just health food propaganda in japan to get kids to eat in a healthy way or is there something more interesting here?
It's Toriyama being the goofball that he is and giving all his characters themed puns for names, and it's brilliant.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:14 pm

If zen-oh also have any connection to this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen-Noh He's taking it even further. Was anything happening with that company in japan. Maybe it split into two companies or something.

It looks like zenoh company is related to this: http://www.zen-nohwagyu.com/about.html maybe the zenoh story has to do wiht eh company bringing expensive goods around the world or something. Though I don't think this is the super expensive beef from japan.. They have been pushing the superiority of japanese food trope in DBS heavily. It could be related. Maybe this is all on the heals of japanese food industries spreading more and japans economy increasing/expanding or something.

NVM, waygu beef is the super expensive beef from japan. It could mean king above all in both his position and in relationship to the waygu beef itself being considered the best of all beef. It fits the DBS theme of proclaiming japanese foods the best in the world. The whole beerus theme. And DBS is generally happening after they have started exporting it around the world. I think I'm onto something. Maybe we will find out zenoh's real name is waygu and his title zenoh! :thumbup:

The other food they proclaimed the most was ramen. The other massive export related to japan in world culture.

NVM, again, Waygu is a generic term for japanse grown beef. Kobe is a specific variety... Still the logic could stand. This could be propaganda type things about japanese food to get people pumped about it. If they start making jokes about zenoh and basketball we might be able to say it's about kobe briant?! the basketball player and about kobe beef! ><

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08 ... 02222.html
In the world of foodie obsession, it doesn’t come much more luxurious than the holy grail of carnivorous indulgence – Wagyu beef.

kobe beef

The myths and rumours surrounding the production process behind Wagyu are the stuff of legend; farmers are said to massage, sing to and even serve up ice cold beer for the revered animals. Commanding up to £500 a kilo, just what makes this premium cut so special, and how can it deserve such an insane price tag?
If waygu still all refers to the expensive types though(or even if it doesn't) and kobe just the most expensive it, again, may be correct! Beerus being fed to waygu/kobe beef. The king of all beefs! It fits the food theme of Dragon Ball well.
Hailing from Japan, “Wagyu” refers to the overarching breed of Japanese cattle, with differing strains producing several variations (and price tags). Meat from the Kobe region for example is considered to be the most exclusive, with legal regulations and guidelines governing its production and grading. The premium grade beef can command astronomical prices, with Michelin star restaurants around the world serving up tiny slithers to the most discerning (and exclusive) of diners.

wagyu

Wagyu cattle are raised in a luxurious fashion, with specifically tailored diets and lifestyles. Slaughtered at three years old (eighteen months longer than traditional techniques), the extended lifespan of the Wagyu herd makes the production process an expensive one to say the least. A five star upkeep and diet combined with the increased lifespan of the Wagyu cow mean this premium herd are an expensive house guest.
Maybe zenoh has been around longer than he normally is(traditional beef method) And they are waiting to end it. To feed the angels. And maybe the angels are the farmers/eaters of the beef!! :angel:

This could seriously make sense out of the child like zenoh. Does the zenoh rules from his given date add up to 3 of something in oriental beleifs. They gave the age of the king/zenoh.

Maybe the angels are grinning because they know they are going to dine.(Christian theme of eating his flesh/bread and drinking his blood/wine in Christianity?!) And now they have two zenoh's. What if all those veggy named beings they are erasing are going to a place to be prepared and served with the great feast of zenoh. The old testament has such themes in the bible. Specifically called feasts in the english bible(feast of tabernacle, feast of ingathering, etc.). And there is a little bible theme to the new arc and similar. Also stuff about bulls and whatnot. It might be related to revelations and other odd things in the bible. They are often intertwined as far as visual references.
My fan art:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:36 pm

Arugela wrote:If zen-oh also have any connection to this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen-Noh He's taking it even further.
There is no correlation. "Zen'ō" is not a name; it's a title made up of actual words (and a very clear/obvious one, at that, as already described).

Regardless of what its transliteration looks like in English compared to another transliterated word (or in this case, company's name), they share absolutely no basis and you shouldn't be looking into it any further.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:53 pm

According to this interview in the book Tenkaichi Densetsu, Toriyama named the Saiyans after vegetables because he thought naming a warrior race after meat would be too obvious.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Arugela
Beyond Newbie

Post by Arugela » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:07 pm

VegettoEX wrote:
Arugela wrote:If zen-oh also have any connection to this:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen-Noh He's taking it even further.
There is no correlation. "Zen'ō" is not a name; it's a title made up of actual words (and a very clear/obvious one, at that, as already described).

Regardless of what its transliteration looks like in English compared to another transliterated word (or in this case, company's name), they share absolutely no basis and you shouldn't be looking into it any further.
I'm saying it could be a contextual joke. The meaning the previous person gave was the king of kings basically(The show states this too IIRC). That is how people describe kobe beef(The beef of beefs.). This is a reference to things like king of kings as a phrase in general(It's also similar spelled in english at least.). Kobe beef has been a pretty big deal and they are exporting it now. This goes with fads in both DBS and other anime in general for many years now to say how good japanese products are atm. They could be using it as a joke/tie-in. It just happens to go with beerus then being linked to zenoh before we got to meet the other gods. There could be a mild reference to this. And if more, funny ideas and possibly plot for the show. It could explain his age. If he's only 3 years old in zenoh terms it would fit how they raise the beef. Literally slaughtered at 3 years old if I read that correctly. Maybe that is how they designed him physically.

The beerus tie-in is because that is something they feed it. Like the one link states, it is like fau gau(misseplled likely) which uses an expensive way to feed geese or duck to fatten them up to sell at high prices(I could be wrong. Kobe beef could be a genetic bread in thing). It's the one people protest about overfeeding then killing years back. This is a similar type of highly fed beef. And beerus is definitely a food person. He's described himself as this. So if you look at the timing of the character reveals it could be a related thing.

If I'm not mistake this is a major thing for japanese exports. Practically or in regards to image. It would not be odd if they were mentioning it for one reason or another. They established the food logic in the show already to some extent. It could be construed as odd potentially if they didn't mention kobe beef. Did Bulma take beerus to try kobe beef in the show? I wasn't sure what the ingredients were in all of those recipes.

(speaking of bulma eat outs. I think I have an actual japanese recipe book(In japanese and from japan.) for something similar to kakiage. It has like a million variants of it. I don't think it kakiage. These recipes aren't deep fried. They are done on a flat griddle like crepes and layered but not rolled. I think they are a variant of japanese pancakes and are street food or possibly sit in breakfast things. Can't find the book but I'm assuming it's Okonomiyaki)

BTW, Kobe beef is the type of beef they sell for 5,000 dollars a crack(Beeruses style of food!). And aged stuff I think is for more(unless that is the price for aged beef.). It's a heavily pushed commodity atm. Or has been for some time now. The beerus/beer context is that one of the myths about it is out of the expensive foods they feed kobe cattle is beer. Which from the article is true but it's to increase their appetite not fatten them directly. If you look at the myths there could be other coincidences. Basically, if you are looking at high end japanese foods this is it. This is, at least advertised as, the most expensive meat in the world atm. DBS makes a semi big deal about good cooking so far. So, it fits the shows established themes potentially.

Zenoh is a chubby little child basically. Kind of like hansel and grettel. 8)

https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2016/02/de ... beef-myths Don't the myths in a way fit beerus? Or was it zenoh getting the massage...
Last edited by Arugela on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 24 times in total.
My fan art:

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm

Zeno is the equivalent to DC's Decreator.
[spoiler]"The Decreator is a cosmic entity said to be the shadow of God, cast in the first moments of creation. It is dedicated to the complete eradication of all existence, and has the power to make things spontaneously disappear from reality. As the "Shadow of God", the Decreator has no personality, no moral and holds no ties to good or evil, simply decreating things not out of hate or pleasure, but because it's in its nature."[/spoiler]
The Difference is in the Personality. Unlike the Decreator, Zeno has a personality and erases stuff out of hate, boredom or pleasure.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Liquir wrote:Zeno is the equivalent to DC's Decreator.
[spoiler]"The Decreator is a cosmic entity said to be the shadow of God, cast in the first moments of creation. It is dedicated to the complete eradication of all existence, and has the power to make things spontaneously disappear from reality. As the "Shadow of God", the Decreator has no personality, no moral and holds no ties to good or evil, simply decreating things not out of hate or pleasure, but because it's in its nature."[/spoiler]
The Difference is in the Personality. Unlike the Decreator, Zeno has a personality and erases stuff out of hate, boredom or pleasure.
So to stop Zeno, we have to slow him down so he's still erasing things, but at too slow of a rate to matter?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Liquir
Beyond Newbie

Post by Liquir » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:58 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
So to stop Zeno, we have to slow him down so he's still erasing things, but at too slow of a rate to matter?
Decreator cannot be harmed or destroyed by no one ( except by The Presence (Ultimate God in DC / Writer ) ), nor can it be reasoned with since it has no personality, so that was the only way to stop it from erasing stuff of larger scale.
However since Zeno has a personality he can be reasoned to be with good behavior, especially with his childish personality, as seen a few time where the Grand Priest makes decisions and comes with ideas for Zeno and Zeno goes with it.
Also it is not yet 100 % confirmed that Zeno cannot be harmed/destroyed. The fact that he has Guards also is suspicious. In episode 109 the Grand Priest Protects Zeno from the Spirit bomb, so that could be a clue as well. It remains to be seen.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:02 am

Liquir wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Decreator cannot be harmed or destroyed by no one ( except by The Presence (Ultimate God in DC / Writer ) ), nor can it be reasoned with since it has no personality, so that was the only way to stop it from erasing stuff of larger scale.
However since Zeno has a personality he can be reasoned to be with good behavior, especially with his childish personality, as seen a few time where the Grand Priest makes decisions and comes with ideas for Zeno and Zeno goes with it.
Also it is not yet 100 % confirmed that Zeno cannot be harmed/destroyed. The fact that he has Guards also is suspicious. In episode 109 the Grand Priest Protects Zeno from the Spirit bomb, so that could be a clue as well. It remains to be seen.
I think he can be harmed, there's just no one around strong enough to do it... except for his future counterpart.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 am

Just had a thought -- I wonder if the English Super manga would translate Zen'oh to "Lord of All," to go along with how Kaio became "Lord of Worlds" and Kaioshin "Lord of Lords."