HEY! HOW IS 17 ALIVE!?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MaskedRider
Banned

HEY! HOW IS 17 ALIVE!?

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Clearly 17 and 18 are not killed when absorbed by Cell as evident when 18 is spit back out alive. They are neither killed (neither is Cell apparently despite mentioning the core inside his head) either when Goku blows off the upper portion of Cell's body which included his head. When Cell self destructed 17 should not have died because 18 couldn't have died from absorption alone nor when Cell's upper body - which included his core - was blown off but regenerated and spitted 18 out alive anyway. Therefore after Cell regenerated after self destruction 17 should have been still alive due to the core being present to regenerate Cell (and to perfect form as well!) Gohan killed Cell therefore 17 as well so the wish to bring back those that Cell killed shouldn't have brought back 17.

I'm not sure about exact translation as the website I was reading from used this old scanlation that would make the manga look like it was professionally done in MS Paint with the pencil tool. The translation made it clear that the wish was, "Bring those killed by Cell back to life." so I'm not sure if it was "Bring back Cell's victims" which would make more sense.

Did I discover something I wasn't supposed to or am I just tired from staying up all night and not thinking about something that would make me wrong

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: HEY! HOW IS 17 ALIVE!?

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:39 pm

.....I....believe you just answered your own question?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

MaskedRider
Banned

Post by MaskedRider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:46 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:.....I....believe you just answered your own question?
In what way?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:37 pm

I hadn't thought of this before but it does kind of not make sense. Neither 17 or 18 are killed by Cell, just absorbed and can get brought out if Cell vomits them. I guess you could say Cell "killed" 17 when he blew himself up but an equally good case can be made that Gohan & Goku "kill" 17 by ultimately vaporizing Cell himself.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:51 pm

It's funny you should make this thread, as I was thinking about how it should work, since my headcanon was that he died alongside Goku, Bubbles and Kaio during Cell's self-destruct. But that would mean he'd be brought back in the afterlife and then Dende would have to pick him up.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:52 pm

I never understood how Cell came back in his perfect form after spitting out 18 and going back to semi-perfect before he self-exploded. I think that just adds to the confusion of where 17 even fits in this mix.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 pm

The mechanics of absorption is one of those weird things you're probably not supposed to think about. Like, for someone holding back to save his sons, Vegito had no problem carving Buu up into pieces just to prove a point.

At least Buu has the excuse of being magical; either 17 and 18 were digested inside Cell and shouldn't have been vomited up whole, or they're not and they should've been blown to bits by Goku's Kamehameha. And don't get me started on the Cell Jnrs. The only explanation is Dr Gero gave Cell Time Lord DNA and his stomach is a TARDIS.

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:20 pm

We've seen before that the dragons are capable of reviving someone whose death was only indirectly related to someone's actions, such as the Namekian Grand Elder being revived by the wish to restore those killed by Freeza and his men, even though Freeza never laid a hand on him. In this situation, it might be the same general premise if it's Gohan's Kamehameha and not Cell's self-destruction beforehand that killed him. Yes, it was Gohan that actually destroyed him, but Cell's actions directly led to Gohan killing him, making him at least partially responsible for his death.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:48 pm

There was a bit of anime filler (I think it's filler?) where Cell does something weird by showing the souls of all the people he's absorbed, shocking Piccolo as to how many people he killed. That suggests that the people still exist inside of him somehow, and he also said that they should be "privileged" to be able to join with him. Plus there's that time he used 17's voice to try and trick 18.