When exactly did Vegeta start to change do you think?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

When exactly did Vegeta start to change do you think?

Post by Forte224 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:46 pm

I've always tried to determine this. When did Vegeta start to have his change of heart? In the Namek saga I legitimately feel like he was just as evil as back on earth and was actually using Gohan and Kuririn for his own advantage and would've killed them on the spot had their usefulness been used up. I like to think his change of heart began when Freeza decimated him. Kaio even mentioned how Vegeta was finally getting a taste of his own medicine and could maybe start to understand how everyone felt that he slaughtered over the years.

I guess I feel this way because nothing was really stopping him once he was back on earth from killing everyone. His strongest opponent would be Piccolo whom he had most likely far surpassed with his recent Zenkai boost. Even though he obviously wasn't a good guy yet, I like to believe this is where it all started. What do you think?

precita
Banned

Re: When exactly did Vegeta start to change do you think?

Post by precita » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:16 pm

Well he didn't kill anyone on Earth in the 3 years everyone was training for the Androids. He probably was still evil at that point, but the fact that he wasn't his Saiyan saga self immediately killing everyone on Earth or trying to kill Goku says a lot.

He changed for good after Goku died to Cell and spent 7 years of peace on Earth however.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:38 pm

His demeanor suddenly seems to change after he sees Goku surpass him at the Cell Games. Before that, when he fought Cell and even after getting decimated by him, Vegeta was still like "I'm the prince and therefore the strongest, nobody needs Kakarrot." Even when Goku stepped into the arena, Vegeta said "Go ahead, we all know I will be the one to finish this."

But then when he sees Goku fighting Cell, he suddenly seems to accept that he cannot reach their level, even saying "I hate to admit it, but Kakarrot is brilliant". Then, of course, we see proof that he does actually care about Trunks, and he even apologizes to Gohan.

Considering this is the same Vegeta who did nothing to save Bulma and baby Trunks when Gero blew up their aircraft, maybe spending a year with Trunks in the RoSaT did the trick? And then it took a little extra push to get him to realize/admit the fact that he had feelings/compassion?
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:25 pm

I don't think he started to change when Freeza killed him. Considering how he was completely reactionless when Dodoria revealed Freeza was the one to destroy Planet Vegeta, i think he was just manipulating Goku with the whole "Avenge the Saiyans" thing just to avenge himself. Android Arc Kuririn says Vegeta has an evil Ki as well, so i don't think he changed yet.

He's definitely a good guy after the Cell Games, though. He finally admitted inferiority to Goku, went crazy when his son was killed and even apologized Gohan when Cell was about to fire his Kamehameha. His evolution from villian to hero was the best on the series IMO.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:46 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:I don't think he started to change when Freeza killed him. Considering how he was completely reactionless when Dodoria revealed Freeza was the one to destroy Planet Vegeta, i think he was just manipulating Goku with the whole "Avenge the Saiyans" thing just to avenge himself. Android Arc Kuririn says Vegeta has an evil Ki as well, so i don't think he changed yet.
My headcanon for that is that Vegeta was sort of playing a straight face to Dodoria and acting like "Nu-uh! No way I care about that" even though he kinda did deep down.

As for when Vegeta started to change, I think the first shift occurred when Goku was able to stand up to him on Earth. While he obviously still wants to try and rule the universe (or at least split Frieza's head in two), after that is sorted out his main goal is surpassing Goku, and after he learns that he's still alive after Namek that becomes his main focus for the next several years. Frieza kicking his butt also helped spur something inside him, and I also feel like Goku becoming a Super Saiyan emboldened his desire to become stronger. Trunks showing up I also feel moved him towards a more positive direction, particularly when Cell practically killed him, and the final steps are taking responsibility for his family in the Buu saga. In particular I really liked how Goku (of all people) has to emphasize Bulma and Trunks to motivate him into the Fusion in the FUNi dub of TFC.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:14 pm

I think him dying and coming back is what gave him a different look at life. He was by no means a good guy and had anyone on earth bothered him he would've killed them without a 2nd thought but unlike before, he didn't go killing people for nothing.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:07 pm

This is a complex question. I think up to the end of the Cell Saga Vegeta still has evil in his heart. The first time he even showed regret was when he apologized to Gohan for being the cause of breaking his arm in the fight against Cell and the first time he showed he cared about someone else was when he freaked out over Cell killing Trunks. He is then defeated in spirit & then decides to stay on Earth with Bulma and baby Trunks (although I wish we did see more of his thought processes here.)

But Vegeta was clearly being influenced before these events. The first time Vegeta’s world view is shattered is definitely when he is defeated by Goku. And while it doesn’t seem at the time that Vegeta learned anything about Goku showing him mercy I think this is the first time Vegeta is influenced by Goku. Obviously other events like Goku going SSJ and Freeza killing him and giving him a taste of his own medicine would also affect Vegeta’s world view. And the final blow all his defeats in the Cell arc. Vegeta’s outlook on life had to be destroyed before he could become good.

Note that Saiyans seemed to be an inherently evil race. Vegeta had no qualms about killing at 5 years old. And even Goku only became sweet and lovable when he fell on his head. I know the mistranslation of the dub makes people think Freeza made Vegeta who he was & while that isn’t true, Freeza would certainly have strengthened Vegeta’s world view that power and fear mean everything. And it was only when he came to Earth that he begins to learn that the way he views the world since he was a child may not be the only truth.

It then took the influence of Goku, Gohan, Future Trunks, his family, etc to show him another way. Vegeta was an alien who slowly adapted to the ways of humanity and began to grow a heart. It is clear in the 7 years he stayed with his family he grew to love them. The whole Majin Vegeta thing was obviously a set back but even with Babidi’s spell to bring back the evil in his heart he couldn’t stop loving his family. He had changed and now even views the Earth his home the place he once tried to destroy.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:17 pm

When he wants to kill Cell as revenge for offing Trunks. His break down on Namek shows he has a capacity to legitimately care about other people but I don't think he's anything but a total shit bag until the tail end of the Cell arc.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:06 pm

He obviously started to change during the Freeza saga after he was resurrected and brought back to Earth.