Unpopular Opinion: The power scaling in Super is fine and makes some sense

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Perfectionist-Cell
Beyond Newbie

Re: Unpopular Opinion: The power scaling in Super is fine and makes some sense

Post by Perfectionist-Cell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:09 am

Juub wrote:
Perfectionist-Cell wrote:
Juub wrote: Nobody ever said that.
Super exciting guide states it.
Super Exciting Guide said that the fusion is more of a multiplication than an addition. It never said it's a straight multiplication of both power levels.
The guide specificly says powerlevel x powerlevel. What
other thoughts are you getting from this?
theherodjl wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
Perfectionist-Cell wrote: Super exciting guide states it.
A guide doesn't mean much. If you need a guide books to do homework with to explain the lore of the show that it couldn't explain itself, then the lore of the show must not have been very solid to begin with, and it certainly isn't as solid as some folk would like to pretend.
While I don't agree that the SEG's statement on the potara was a literal power level times power level equation, the guides do mean much, in fact they are required for some details that were not apparent within the manga or anime. We need the guides to answer frequently asked questions and to aid in fan theories contributing to the argument based on something official, they can't just be dismissed.
I have to agree we can't just dimiss things. They made the guidebooks for a specific reason. Although sometimes the powerscaling doesn't correlate with the quidebooks.

For example

Goku and Vegeta both have power levels in the millions in base form. If they fused it would be

10,000,000 x 10,000,000

There is no way Buuhan is 10,000,000 times stronger than base Goku yet in the manga Vegito used ssj to beat Buuhan

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:16 am

Why arent people anywhere getting the fact that Super Saiyan ISNT that Special . look aroudn ToP. Almost EVERYONE has some sort of Super Powerup. A Transformation. Even Fucking Teletubby has one. Just Because U7 Saiyans ahd trouble getting them doesnt mean U6 saiyans would have had too.

Plus, are people still thinking that Base Goku and Vegeta are below freeza??? They are at least as strong as Super Perfect Cell and thats just what i SSj and SSj2 Multiplier says. I personally think they are even stronger at base

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:10 pm

Lol at people thinking that base Caulifla is Buu saga base level. They are far stronger than that, they are easily ssj3 Buu saga tier in base. And u guys are ignoring controlled berserk kale who is far stronger than ssj2 Caulifla.

Also, do you all forget that ssj1 Vegetto was trolling Buuhan? While ssj1 Goku and Vegeta would get destroyed in an instant.

Also, don't use fused Zamasu as an example, he got a power boost in the anime compared to the manga once Vegetto showed up.

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 am

Juub wrote:
Super exciting guide states it.
Super Exciting Guide said that the fusion is more of a multiplication than an addition. It never said it's a straight multiplication of both power levels.
The guide specificly says powerlevel x powerlevel. What
other thoughts are you getting from this?
theherodjl wrote:
Boo Machine wrote:
A guide doesn't mean much. If you need a guide books to do homework with to explain the lore of the show that it couldn't explain itself, then the lore of the show must not have been very solid to begin with, and it certainly isn't as solid as some folk would like to pretend.
While I don't agree that the SEG's statement on the potara was a literal power level times power level equation, the guides do mean much, in fact they are required for some details that were not apparent within the manga or anime. We need the guides to answer frequently asked questions and to aid in fan theories contributing to the argument based on something official, they can't just be dismissed.
I have to agree we can't just dimiss things. They made the guidebooks for a specific reason. Although sometimes the powerscaling doesn't correlate with the quidebooks.

For example

Goku and Vegeta both have power levels in the millions in base form. If they fused it would be

10,000,000 x 10,000,000

There is no way Buuhan is 10,000,000 times stronger than base Goku yet in the manga Vegito used ssj to beat Buuhan
Can you find the quote from the SEG? Regardless yes a guide which hasn't been written by Akira Toriyama can be ignored. Anyone could have written it and asked for permission and get the green light. Doesn't mean a thing.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 am

The power scaling issue isn't because of power boosts being big. Z has a lot of that with Piccolo's train for the Androids, or Gotenks' week on the Rosat. If the power boost actually has a reason, no issue with how big the boost is.

The true reason is a feat/statement contradicting another feat/statement without any apparent reason. Stuff like Freeza > Pre God Base Goku but FnF Base Gohan > Kamiccolo despite this Gohan being < Cell Games Gohan, Vegeta one shoting SSJ3 Gotenks but a much stronger Goku fighting evenly with a Gohan much weaker than his Ultimate self, Black getting constantly stronger whenever he feels like it, a armless Goku doing better against MZ than Vegeta and Trunks together... Shit like this that has no logical explanation.

And shouldn't this be on the Dragon Ball Super subforum?
Juub wrote:Can you find the quote from the SEG?

Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Juub
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Juub » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:05 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:The power scaling issue isn't because of power boosts being big. Z has a lot of that with Piccolo's train for the Androids, or Gotenks' week on the Rosat. If the power boost actually has a reason, no issue with how big the boost is.

The true reason is a feat/statement contradicting another feat/statement without any apparent reason. Stuff like Freeza > Pre God Base Goku but FnF Base Gohan > Kamiccolo despite this Gohan being < Cell Games Gohan, Vegeta one shoting SSJ3 Gotenks but a much stronger Goku fighting evenly with a Gohan much weaker than his Ultimate self, Black getting constantly stronger whenever he feels like it, a armless Goku doing better against MZ than Vegeta and Trunks together... Shit like this that has no logical explanation.

And shouldn't this be on the Dragon Ball Super subforum?
Juub wrote:Can you find the quote from the SEG?

Thank you and this literally proves this guide can be disregarded. Last PL said was "over 1,000,000" by 2nd form Frieza and we know there is no way Vegeto is 1,000,000 stronger than Goku. He would have finger flicked Majin Buu with Gohan absorbed in Base.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:24 am

The other thing about taking the SEG’s description of “power level x power level” is that that’s highly dependent on the unit of measurement. Using the Scouter units and supposing Goku and Vegeta are around 90 million in the Buu Saga, Vegetto is 90 million times stronger than Goku. Using Babidi’s Killi measurements and scaling back from the 3000 figure for SSJ puts Goku and Vegeta at 60 and Vegetto in Base being barely stronger than one of them at SSJ. And if we come up with an arbitrary unit of measurement where Goku and Vegeta equal 1, then Vegetto wouldn’t be any stronger at all.

So just on principle, we can’t take that part of the SEG literally. The x50, x100, etc, numbers are different because they’re not dependent on which units we’re using.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:56 am

Though I do think that powerlevels can be a little too loose at times in the show, I don't think its overtly terrible, since Super has TRIED to reel in powerlevels across its run.

I think the main problem with the show is the beginning arc, specifically ROF, and fans who are over-complicating things, by say, making everyone absolutely monstrously strong for some reason, and others are being overly rigid about how power-scaling works. I think people need to accept that character improvement, such as Kuririns, can also significantly influence how one performs in a fight.

Also, the universe 6 saiyans were said to be roughly as strong as the base Saiyans, and characters have gotten stronger in orders of magnitude since the start of the show. I mean, who would have thought Goku's SS2 form would be able to match-up with a stronger Ultimate Gohan before the creation of Super? The characters have gotten stronger, though I think its unrealistic to say they're all stronger than SS Vegito in their base forms.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:45 am

You know, the two base theory was a pretty good tool to explain the power scaling. Does anyone stil belive in that?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!