Any Idea on how a God of Destruction is chosen?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jedi486

Any Idea on how a God of Destruction is chosen?

Post by jedi486 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:57 am

Does anybody have any Idea on how a God of Destruction is chosen? I'm guessing Zen-Oh sends angels to find them. They scout for strong beings and they offer the position to them. Any other guesses or actual facts?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Any Idea on how a God of Destruction is chosen?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:15 am

Whis just offered the position to Goku when he saw how strong he was. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:11 am

Seems like it sort of mirrors how each planet's Kami is chosen, based on Whis offering Beerus's spot to Goku and Toppo being mentioned as someone who could become a God of Destruction. Presumably a current God of Destruction could pass the title (and some of the power, assuming part of it is a "God of Destruction thing" rather than just the result of a gazillion years of training?) down to the next person in line, too, just like Earth's god before the Nameless Namekian did.

So at the very least we know it's not a Kaio/Kaioshin type system where all of them are born from one species, and it doesn't seem like a lottery is involved like with the 7th Universe's Shinjin -- but yeah, there've been no specifics mentioned beyond "that universe's angel asks a really strong guy if they want the job."

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:15 pm

They’re chosen by the Hakaishin themselves or by an Angel.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Strength shouldn't be the only qualification in determining who is and isn't a candidate for the position. What's just as important is commitment to the job, loyalty towards the higher celestial authorities, and impartiality in executing their duty. Sad to say but characters like Beerus and Champa don't fit those qualifications all too well. Come to think of it -- both were chastised for not aptly carrying out their Hakaishin duties.

I feel like it's for those reasons above that Freeza wouldn't make for a good Hakaishin; the guy is too sadistic and self-involved to trust for such an important position. On the other end of the spectrum you have Toppo who is apparently the protégé of Belmod. With his strict adherence to righteous morality and protecting the defenceless, I can't imagine how there wouldn't be a conflict of interests there unless he decided to compromise his future Hakaishin role by only destroying unpopulated worlds. Would such an arbitrary destructive methodology be acceptable to the angels and Zeno, though? I suppose this question would depend on what the official interpretation is of "destruction". If it's only referring to planetary bodies and not the civilisations then Toppo would have a nice middle ground that accommodates his sense of morality. However, if ningen do happen to be included in that job description then Toppo would either be forced to resign or dispose of his own ethics to keep with the vocation he chose for himself.

jedi486

Post by jedi486 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:53 am

Pantalones wrote:Seems like it sort of mirrors how each planet's Kami is chosen, based on Whis offering Beerus's spot to Goku and Toppo being mentioned as someone who could become a God of Destruction. Presumably a current God of Destruction could pass the title (and some of the power, assuming part of it is a "God of Destruction thing" rather than just the result of a gazillion years of training?) down to the next person in line, too, just like Earth's god before the Nameless Namekian did.

So at the very least we know it's not a Kaio/Kaioshin type system where all of them are born from one species, and it doesn't seem like a lottery is involved like with the 7th Universe's Shinjin -- but yeah, there've been no specifics mentioned beyond "that universe's angel asks a really strong guy if they want the job."
Yeah, it could be something like that. What I'm thinking also is that they can only do the job for certain years and that's why they have to look for someone else to continue. Wouldn't make sense to look for someone and train them if they will die before the GoD since they are mortals.

jedi486

Post by jedi486 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:01 am

Lionel wrote:Strength shouldn't be the only qualification in determining who is and isn't a candidate for the position. What's just as important is commitment to the job, loyalty towards the higher celestial authorities, and impartiality in executing their duty. Sad to say but characters like Beerus and Champa don't fit those qualifications all too well. Come to think of it -- both were chastised for not aptly carrying out their Hakaishin duties.

I feel like it's for those reasons above that Freeza wouldn't make for a good Hakaishin; the guy is too sadistic and self-involved to trust for such an important position. On the other end of the spectrum you have Toppo who is apparently the protégé of Belmod. With his strict adherence to righteous morality and protecting the defenceless, I can't imagine how there wouldn't be a conflict of interests there unless he decided to compromise his future Hakaishin role by only destroying unpopulated worlds. Would such an arbitrary destructive methodology be acceptable to the angels and Zeno, though? I suppose this question would depend on what the official interpretation is of "destruction". If it's only referring to planetary bodies and not the civilisations then Toppo would have a nice middle ground that accommodates his sense of morality. However, if ningen do happen to be included in that job description then Toppo would either be forced to resign or dispose of his own ethics to keep with the vocation he chose for himself.
You point out some really good points. I agree, your morals would be the make it or break it. That's why Goku would never be good for the Job either. He is too good to go around the universe Destroying. Unless it's like you said about planetary bodies. But honestly I think that if you are taking the job you have to be willing to do both because it will be expected of you.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:02 am

On the other end of the spectrum you have Toppo who is apparently the protégé of Belmod. With his strict adherence to righteous morality and protecting the defenceless, I can't imagine how there wouldn't be a conflict of interests there unless he decided to compromise his future Hakaishin role by only destroying unpopulated worlds. Would such an arbitrary destructive methodology be acceptable to the angels and Zeno, though? I suppose this question would depend on what the official interpretation is of "destruction". If it's only referring to planetary bodies and not the civilisations then Toppo would have a nice middle ground that accommodates his sense of morality. However, if ningen do happen to be included in that job description then Toppo would either be forced to resign or dispose of his own ethics to keep with the vocation he chose for himself.
Starting to sound like a "God of Destruction Toppo" might have some things in common with Zamasu, though not quite going to the same "destroy all mortals" extremes -- maybe he'd be okay destroying a planet with beings like the Baribarians who were overly violent in nature, but a peaceful planet would be spared? So a place like Namek or Yardrat would be perfectly safe, while Planet Vegeta and any place populated entirely by Freeza's soldiers would be doomed.

He doesn't really seem like the type to nap for 39 years, so even if he wasn't destroying many populated planets (only the really nasty ones) he'd probably get more God of Destruction work done than Beerus would anyway, despite being unlikely to destroy places just because they annoyed him or because he didn't like their food.