How much weight can goku lift

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

xking

How much weight can goku lift

Post by xking » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:36 am

I want to know how much weight can goku lift in his base form?

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Re: How much weight can goku lift

Post by Pantalones » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 am

Nobody knows for sure. Weight-lifting ability doesn't really get brought up much in Dragonball, it's not nearly as relevant as striking power or the power of one's ki blasts.

There is of course the scene in Z where Goku is training with some of the Kaios, flying and throwing punches and kicks in midair while wearing 1-ton weights on each of his arms and legs, and then it turns out he can't handle 40 tons of weight (10 per limb) like this... but that doesn't necessarily mean that base Goku can't lift 40 tons. Having 10 tons on each wrist and ankle while trying to maintain flight is a very different thing than standing on solid ground and lifting 40 tons, and Goku wasn't hurt by this amount of weight (like someone who really couldn't handle it might have been), he just wasn't able to stay airborne without going Super Saiyan (and once he did, he was zipping around much faster than he had in base with the initial 4 tons of weight, as if the 40 tons of weight were nothing to his SSJ strength.)

And then there's some scenes in Super where Goku is carrying around ludicrously huge weights on the North Kaio's planet, and if I'm remembering right his is before Battle of Gods -- so basically Buu Saga Goku, or maybe slightly stronger, but not by much since Goku and Vegeta were thought to have pretty much maxed out their power increases until the God forms and the new supply of power that came with them were introduced. Unless those things were inflatable, that implies that Goku can probably handle a lot more than 40 tons in base form, he just can't fly while doing it. But again, since Dragonball doesn't really put much emphasis on weight-lifting there's no definite answer to this question, only guesses based on the few scenes where lifting ability is shown.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:56 am

The question really is how much can Goku lift while flying vs how much can Goku lift while standing?
If we're talking about physically lifting weight while in the air then Goku can at least lift 4 tons during his training in the afterlife, being asked mere moments later by the South Kaio to lift 10 tons causes Goku to admit that it would be too much weight to train with. The South Kaio then makes it 40 tons to make it even more daunting and then Goku is seen sagging downward, however this is all under the circumstance of not having a solid surface to push away from. When training on Kaio's planet later on, Goku demonstrates a far better feat of strength by being able to pull three massive weights larger than he is all around the planet, he then ups this ante by lifting an even more massive weight above his head. Factoring in the ten times gravity of Kaio's planet, its likely that under the circumstance of being grounded that Goku can lift several dozens of times more weight than if he were flying, especially with how that final weight was of greater mass than even the gigantic rock he pushed as a child.
I imagine Goku is in the 100+ ton range while standing or being able to push off from something and is only in the 1-10 ton range under flight, it is perfectly logical.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:48 am

theherodjl wrote:The question really is how much can Goku lift while flying vs how much can Goku lift while standing?
If we're talking about physically lifting weight while in the air then Goku can at least lift 4 tons during his training in the afterlife, being asked mere moments later by the South Kaio to lift 10 tons causes Goku to admit that it would be too much weight to train with. The South Kaio then makes it 40 tons to make it even more daunting and then Goku is seen sagging downward, however this is all under the circumstance of not having a solid surface to push away from.
No you got that wrong, Goku was training with 2 tons per limb, so 8 tons in total, then South Kai is told to put on 10 tons per limb, thus the total of 40 tons.
When training on Kaio's planet later on, Goku demonstrates a far better feat of strength by being able to pull three massive weights larger than he is all around the planet, he then ups this ante by lifting an even more massive weight above his head.
"Later"?
Really?
It's 4 years after the 40 tons scene, not just "later."

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:44 am

dbgtFO wrote:
theherodjl wrote:The question really is how much can Goku lift while flying vs how much can Goku lift while standing?
If we're talking about physically lifting weight while in the air then Goku can at least lift 4 tons during his training in the afterlife, being asked mere moments later by the South Kaio to lift 10 tons causes Goku to admit that it would be too much weight to train with. The South Kaio then makes it 40 tons to make it even more daunting and then Goku is seen sagging downward, however this is all under the circumstance of not having a solid surface to push away from.
No you got that wrong, Goku was training with 2 tons per limb, so 8 tons in total, then South Kai is told to put on 10 tons per limb, thus the total of 40 tons.
When training on Kaio's planet later on, Goku demonstrates a far better feat of strength by being able to pull three massive weights larger than he is all around the planet, he then ups this ante by lifting an even more massive weight above his head.
"Later"?
Really?
You're right on that one, its been a long time since I read or watched the Boo arc so I flubbed there.
What's wrong with the second one though? The manga for DBS stated that " days and months " has past since the defeat of Majin Boo and various other material says that DBS picks up after the Majin Boo arc, that does not translate to "4 years" otherwise the narration would say that 4 years has past. The narration has never failed to state how much time goes by.
Additionally the anime only states that episode 1 occurs after the wish was made to make the Earth's populace forget about Majin Boo which was made six months after Kid Boo was eradicated by the Genki Dama, it doesn't say "3 years and 6 months later" or anything to that effect.

Speedster
Regular

Post by Speedster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:42 am

dbgtFO wrote:
theherodjl wrote:When training on Kaio's planet later on, Goku demonstrates a far better feat of strength by being able to pull three massive weights larger than he is all around the planet, he then ups this ante by lifting an even more massive weight above his head.
"Later"?
Really?
Still we actually did see Goku later in the Buu arc causally holding with one hand an approximately 1.5m^3 Katchin cube and throwing it at Gohan at a very high velocity. Even if we say Katchin is like Tungsten the cube would have a mass of around 30tonnes and the force to throw it at a speed of 1000m/s would be equivalent to the weight of 3 million tonnes.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that Super starts 4 years after the Buu arc. Super has already retconned the end of Z as if you go by the original ending you should also have 10 years of peace and 5 years of Goku not seeing Bulma. Also Goku revealing Uub to Vegeta in the 28TB instead before the U6 tournament. So, I wouldn’t hold onto Pan’s age in the 28th TB for any time placement in Super whatsoever. Also at the very minimum 3-4 years have passed in Super since the BoGs arc so if Super actually started 4 years after the Buu arc we are now at 7-8 years since the Buu arc and Trunks is still drawn as a kid despite supposedly being 15-16y.o. and being drawn older when he was 14!

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:55 pm

About 400 tons in the Boo Arc. Mind you, he was under the 10x gravity when he had to lift those weights.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:07 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:About 400 tons in the Boo Arc. Mind you, he was under the 10x gravity when he had to lift those weights.
It was never confirmed if all worlds in the afterlife share the property of 10x gravity, we at least know Kaio's world did so but wherever Goku was training had no mention of 10x gravity. However its possible that it had some degree of gravity different from Earth's, Kaio did after all make the gravity of Earth out to be a common and weaker occurrence among other, stronger worlds.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 pm

theherodjl wrote: It was never confirmed if all worlds in the afterlife share the property of 10x gravity, we at least know Kaio's world did so but wherever Goku was training had no mention of 10x gravity. However its possible that it had some degree of gravity different from Earth's, Kaio did after all make the gravity of Earth out to be a common and weaker occurrence among other, stronger worlds.
Wasn't he on Kaio's planet?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:38 pm

I hate seeing questions like this in the in-universe forum, because the only real answer is 'as much as the story calls for'.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Jack Bz
Regular

Post by Jack Bz » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:
theherodjl wrote: It was never confirmed if all worlds in the afterlife share the property of 10x gravity, we at least know Kaio's world did so but wherever Goku was training had no mention of 10x gravity. However its possible that it had some degree of gravity different from Earth's, Kaio did after all make the gravity of Earth out to be a common and weaker occurrence among other, stronger worlds.
Wasn't he on Kaio's planet?
Kaio's planet was blown up by Cell at that point.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:07 pm

A considerable amount.

I brought this up before but early on in Super, Goku was shown casually watering the plants with a can the size of a building strapped to his back which would be filled with water.

Later on in the Universe 6 saga, Whis gives him a weighted suit which Goku says is so heavy he can hardly move. So naturally the suit weighs a lot more than the watering can.

Then shortly after he did 50,000 full body push ups on a single thumb.

So it would be like him lifting that watering can 50,000 times in a row with just his thumb except heavier.

All while he was in Base form too.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Bullza wrote:A considerable amount.

I brought this up before but early on in Super, Goku was shown casually watering the plants with a can the size of a building strapped to his back which would be filled with water.

Later on in the Universe 6 saga, Whis gives him a weighted suit which Goku says is so heavy he can hardly move. So naturally the suit weighs a lot more than the watering can.

So it would be like him lifting that watering can 50,000 times in a row with just his thumb except heavier.

It should be noted that the latter feat occurred after Goku obtained god power, he struggles with it far more than either the backpack vat of water or even the gigantic weight on Kaio's world.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:15 pm

It is something Dragon Ball doesn't focus on. But, my guess would be around one to two million tons if Whis's suit was 500,000 tons. Please don't attack me, it is just a guess.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MainJPW
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MainJPW » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:06 pm

They're lifting giant chunks of Kachi Kachin under 10x Earth's gravity here.

How much would you guys say this is? 1,000 tons?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:50 pm

In the Android arc, Vegeta asked Bulma's dad to make him a 300X Gravity room. Dr. Briefs stated that he would weigh 18 tons.
Goku struggling with 40 tons in the Buu saga is Toriyama not caring about consistency.

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:21 pm

Well a tired base Goku could survive in a black hole :crazy: :crazy:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:22 am

Saiyan007 wrote:Well a tired base Goku could survive in a black hole :crazy: :crazy:
I wouldn't exactly call that thing a real black hole.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:38 am

theherodjl wrote:
Bullza wrote:A considerable amount.

It should be noted that the latter feat occurred after Goku obtained god power, he struggles with it far more than either the backpack vat of water or even the gigantic weight on Kaio's world.
OMG that picture made me laugh way more than I should have haha, how ridiculous does it look!

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:03 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saiyan007 wrote:Well a tired base Goku could survive in a black hole :crazy: :crazy:
I wouldn't exactly call that thing a real black hole.
Why not?

It had all the properties of a black hole,Whis says their attack is focused into a point to create a mass of gravity.Universe 2 user says not even light can escape from it, he also said it's weight shatters the earth and sinks.The name of the attack is pretty black hole it's quite clear what the implication is