How much weight can goku lift

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How much weight can goku lift

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:06 am

Saiyan007 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saiyan007 wrote:Well a tired base Goku could survive in a black hole :crazy: :crazy:
I wouldn't exactly call that thing a real black hole.
Why not?

It had all the properties of a black hole,
No, it didn't. Not even close. How much physics have you studied?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Saiyan007
Regular

Post by Saiyan007 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:25 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saiyan007 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call that thing a real black hole.
Why not?

Studying physics isn't going to help when you have characters who defy the laws of physics,what's next it's impossible to go FTL?
A black hole is a place in space where gravity pulls so much that even light can not get out
That's just from a random search on google which coincides to what was said in the episode,the intent was very clear in the episode.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:42 am

Saiyan007 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saiyan007 wrote:
Why not?

Studying physics isn't going to help when you have characters who defy the laws of physics,what's next it's impossible to go FTL?
A black hole is a place in space where gravity pulls so much that even light can not get out
That's just from a random search on google which coincides to what was said in the episode,the intent was very clear in the episode.
Black holes are defined by physics. You can't claim something is one and simultaneously claim that you get to ignore physics. By saying something has 'the properties of a black hole' you are already invoking physics. You can't have it both ways.

As for why it's clearly not an actual singularity, let me list a few reasons.

For one thing, the shape. An event horizon is always spherical, by definition. There were also no time dilation effects observed, no red or blue shifting, it was sinking downwards instead of drawing everything around it into its own gravitational field and which makes absolutely no sense unless you believe that the gravity in the arena was already greater than the gravity of the technique (in which case, it would have been a pointless technique in the first place), it was acting as a solid object and physically crushing the floor beneath it instead of drawing it inside and there were no spaghettification effects, or radiation. Its influence was also limited to that one part of the arena when a real black hole would have absorbed the entire arena almost instantly and kept growing.

I'm just annoyed by people who don't understand physics making ignorant claims.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

xking

Post by xking » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:40 pm

xking

Post by xking » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Saiyan007 wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Black holes are defined by physics. You can't claim something is one and simultaneously claim that you get to ignore physics. By saying something has 'the properties of a black hole' you are already invoking physics. You can't have it both ways.

As for why it's clearly not an actual singularity, let me list a few reasons.

For one thing, the shape. An event horizon is always spherical, by definition. There were also no time dilation effects observed, no red or blue shifting, it was sinking downwards instead of drawing everything around it into its own gravitational field and which makes absolutely no sense unless you believe that the gravity in the arena was already greater than the gravity of the technique (in which case, it would have been a pointless technique in the first place), it was acting as a solid object and physically crushing the floor beneath it instead of drawing it inside and there were no spaghettification effects, or radiation. Its influence was also limited to that one part of the arena when a real black hole would have absorbed the entire arena almost instantly and kept growing.

I'm just annoyed by people who don't understand physics making ignorant claims.
The "pretty black hole" was a black hole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JG5ZGhDec

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:48 pm

No it wasn't, and a YouTube link isn't going to prove otherwise.

Please people, stop mutilating physics. Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar is spinning in his grave fast enough that the Kerr Metric is necessary to model it.

GigaDrill
Beyond Newbie

Post by GigaDrill » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 am

next thing you know people are going to say that there is no way saiyans could metabolize enough energy from the food they eat to generate the planet ending beams they regularly throw at each other

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:20 am

Well, early on in Super, but scale up from here if you want.

But overall? Oh, a "metric shit ton" sounds about right.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:08 am

xking wrote:The "pretty black hole" was a black hole. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5JG5ZGhDec
Nope, just more fan wish fulfillment about the occasional feat that seems to define DB characters as a league of unparalleled "powa!"
The "pretty black hole" was said to be a black hole, described as a black hole, but was depicted with very little physics that would be expected from a black hole. They got some rudimentary details right such as light being unable to escape it and that its gravity is intense, though they left out the spaghettification process that all black holes cause to matter & energy and the fact that a black hole is not a physical object nor does it act like a massive weight. The light around the arena didn't even get pulled into the "black hole", if its suppose to have gravity that is so intense that particles with a limitless amount of energy cannot escape from its pull then how in the world were weaklings like Krillin or Roshi not immediately sucked into it? Are we led to believe that a black hole only targets some objects and not everything in sight like it does in physics?
Its cool to believe that DB has dipped into some realistic concepts but in the end it still is fantasy fiction and cannot adhere to science without creating a logical dilemma or having characters be compromised by reality, in short physics in fiction is determined by the writers and not by scientists.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 am

GigaDrill wrote:next thing you know people are going to say that there is no way saiyans could metabolize enough energy from the food they eat to generate the planet ending beams they regularly throw at each other
Completely different scenario. More analogous would be if someone were claiming that said beams were actually made of, let's say, gamma radiation, despite the beams showing properties completely inconsistent with that of RL gamma radiation.

xking

Post by xking » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:35 pm

The pretty black hole has gravitational force of a black hole(even if it is not Real world black hole) , because author intent. Real world physics don't belong in this discussion when you already have guys that can ignore the laws of physics.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:45 pm

xking wrote:The pretty black hole has gravitational force of a black hole(even if it is not Real world black hole) , because author intent. Real world physics don't belong in this discussion when you already have guys that can ignore the laws of physics.
How is something that is fictional, able to be defined by real life physics but then not be subject to the laws of real life physics? That's simply a paradox. Either it is a black hole or it isn't, it can't work both ways.
Many other feats in DB can get away with scientific implausibility because the writers leave the physics of Ki justifiably vague and immeasurable. When they attempt to define something fictional which cannot be defined, with something from the real world however is just plain nonsense.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:50 pm

theherodjl wrote:
xking wrote:The pretty black hole has gravitational force of a black hole(even if it is not Real world black hole) , because author intent. Real world physics don't belong in this discussion when you already have guys that can ignore the laws of physics.
How is something that is fictional, able to be defined by real life physics but then not be subject to the laws of real life physics? That's simply a paradox. Either it is a black hole or it isn't, it can't work both ways.
Many other feats in DB can get away with scientific implausibility because the writers leave the physics of Ki justifiably vague and immeasurable. When they attempt to define something fictional which cannot be defined, with something from the real world however is just plain nonsense.
Exactly. Not to mention that 'the gravitational force of a black hole' is a meaningless phrase by itself. Like any other object, the gravity of a black hole is dependent on its mass. A black hole with the mass of the Earth would have the same gravity as the Earth - you could replace the Earth with it and the moon would continue to orbit it undisturbed.

What makes a black hole so dangerous are properties like the gravitational shearing and time dilation near the event horizon - properties which were not present in the technique on the show.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:44 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:I hate seeing questions like this in the in-universe forum, because the only real answer is 'as much as the story calls for'.
I hate responses like this because you can apply that to any in universe question.

"What is Kaioshin's real name?"
"Whatever the writer wants."

"Who was the original Super Saiyan?"
"Whoever the writer wants."

"Will we ever see Cell again?"
"If the writer wants."

Why are strength discussions different from any other discussion?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:33 am

nickzambuto wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:I hate seeing questions like this in the in-universe forum, because the only real answer is 'as much as the story calls for'.
I hate responses like this because you can apply that to any in universe question.

"If the writer wants."

Because in those cases, there is likely to be an actual answer given in-universe or by the author. We never knew who the original Super Saiyan was for so long but we finally know, since he revealed it.

But for this kind of thing, they're never going to just come out and give us a number.

nickzambuto
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by nickzambuto » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:01 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
nickzambuto wrote:

"If the writer wants."

Because in those cases, there is likely to be an actual answer given in-universe or by the author. We never knew who the original Super Saiyan was for so long but we finally know, since he revealed it.

But for this kind of thing, they're never going to just come out and give us a number.
That's why we speculate using whatever evidence we can find. There's no less worth in this discussion than in any other in-universe discussion, where the answer to literally everything is at the whim of the author.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:08 am

But the author doesn't have a number in mind either. At most he'll have a vague sense of what the amount should be, but possibly not even that. It's just not very consistent, especially if you want to put a clear limit on it.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:52 pm

The stuff with the Pretty Black Hole gets even more confusing when you realise its basically made of Love. :crazy:

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:The stuff with the Pretty Black Hole gets even more confusing when you realise its basically made of Love. :crazy:
It is the weight of the Love of their whole universe! Such is their power!

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:09 am

Doesn't matter what people say. TOEI states the attack had the pressure/pull of a Black Hole and TOEI's intent is just that.
The geeks can dissect it all they want, it isn't going to change the facts. :lol: