When Does A 'Rival Boost' Become A Factor In Fusion???

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

When Does A 'Rival Boost' Become A Factor In Fusion???

Post by theherodjl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Its a common trope applied to the potara fusion of Vegetto, and that it is Goku + Vegeta x (rival boost) in the Boo arc. However...just when was it established that Goku & Vegeta were such rivals that they should receive a boost as far as the abilities granted by the potara goes? And how or why would the potara configure their powers to give the Saiyans any sort of boost based on a competitive relationship?
Imagine if it were the start of Z and somehow Goku & Vegeta met under an alternate setting then they put the earrings on, would this premature Vegetto have a boost based on 'rivalry' despite hardly knowing each other or would it give them a boost simply on their talents & potential? If it is the former than would the growing rivalry in each arc contain a different boost that would lead to the boost seen in the Boo arc?
Or is it possible that the rival boost doesn't exist and that the potara grants a ridiculously broken figure for whoever decides to use it? Not counting the pathetic increase of Kaioshin & Kibito?

Bonus question: would two potara users on different planets or dimensions forcibly fly towards each other until they meet across dimensional/inter dimensional space?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: When Does A 'Rival Boost' Become A Factor In Fusion???

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:32 pm

Is "rival boost" an actual plot point? Like... is it a literal and tangible power up stacked on top of the Potara fusion of Goku and Vegeta? Or is this more on-the-spot thrown in the by the original manga and never brought up again, even in the guidebooks?

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:06 pm

When Goku and Vegeta merge.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:16 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote:When Goku and Vegeta merge.
That's not what I'm asking.
What I want to know is how the potara can know that two persons are rivals and then calculate a greater power boost based on that, if there actually is a rival boost.
Does BOZ Vegetto receive the same power boost as Boo arc Vegetto?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

nickzambuto

Post by nickzambuto » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:45 am

It's yin and yang.

When two spectacular guys who are both deeply flawed in their own ways, choose to set aside their differences, set aside themselves, and join forces for a common purpose, the synergy is magnified. They fill in each other's gaps and also boost each other's strengths. Goku and Vegeta are set on the exact same foundation in terms of power, ideology, and fighting style, but after the foundation, they both head in alternate directions. That means when they come together, the fusion reaps all the benefits of both angles, while reaping none of the weaknesses because both of them fill out the other's traits (Whis basically said Goku thinks too little and Vegeta thinks too much - so Vegetto thinks just the right amount)

That's why Freeza fusing with Goku would not create such a monumental warrior, because they are opposites rather than mirrors. Opposites would clash and not mix well, but mirrors fold into each other perfectly.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Sounds like bs either way to me. How would one even be able to measure if a rivalry is good enough for the fusion to receive a "rival boost". That's even more absurd than the entire Zenkai boost concept.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

theherodjl wrote: What I want to know is how the potara can know that two persons are rivals and then calculate a greater power boost based on that, if there actually is a rival boost.
Does BOZ Vegetto receive the same power boost as Boo arc Vegetto?
That was a troll answer regarding only the title, and know i read the OP i noticed what i said doesn't make any sense :crazy:

Anyway, the rival boost actually is a thing, it's stated by the Elder Kaioshin:
Chapter: 504 (DBZ 310), P9.2-3
Context: as Vegetto beats up on Gohan-absorbed Boo
Kaioshin-Kibito: “H-he’s strong!!! Majin Boo there is helpless!!! To think that merging with the Potara would be this incredible…!!”
Elder Kaioshin: “Idiot, it’s because it was those two that they were able to go so far. Two of the top 3 masters in both the living world and afterlife have merged, after all. What’s more, two rivals have joined together. That’s definitely strongest.
I don't see why it wouldn't work in other situations, all it's needed in a rivalry between the fusers. Perhaps in another Arc it'd be a even bigger or smaller boost, it all depends on the relationship between the fusers.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!